Game Thread - Tennessee Lady Vols vs #2 Shady Trees & Referees

On the backdoor cuts, the LVs pretty much eliminated those in the 2nd half (so good adjustment).

Unusual to see the LVs get outsized but that is the brave new world without TK, particularly when Jillian isn't going well. But dang, for a 6'1 post, Franklin gets a lot done.

The team did a decent job in getting Stanford's starting bigs in foul trouble but Stanford has really good depth there.

I actually like the potential of this smaller line-up and its ability to spread the floor.

The LVs shot really well through 3 quarters. Good shooting kept them close when their defense was suspect and got them a decent lead during their best quarter of the season (3).

They lost the game because they went ice cold in the 4th quarter. Don't know if that was due to fatigue, pressure or some combo but they had plenty of chances to stay in front and could not hit open shots down the stretch.

I think this team was looking for RJ to carry them down the stretch. Once she is fully back into the main line-up, I think she will be able to do that. This was a tough game to become "the closer" after you have been in bench storage for the last several games.

Honestly, not too many complaints about how the LVs matched up against #2 except Walker and Powell's repeatedly driving into the Stanford trees to get their lay-up attempts stuffed. Those plays were equivalent to TOs and killed the team's momentum.

A PG's number one job is the get the ball to the scorers and not to try to be the scorer.

Last edited:
I see reading comprehension isn't your strong suit (along with understanding the basketball rules of the game). Yes, I incorrectly pointed out that Ore St was the best OOC win other than those by Arkansas or SC. But my point still sounds. That's an unimpressive win...as is Colorado...as is UMass. It doesn't matter which of these 3 cupcakes is the best team because they are all bad and none of them makes for a compelling argument for an at large bid. Do you understand now, or do you need me to draw pictures.
Kind of silly of you to talk about reading comprehension, when you say, “But my point still sounds.” Maybe you meant ‘stands’.

Kind of silly of you to talk about reading comprehension, when you say, “But my point still sounds.” Maybe you meant ‘stands’.
Mocking someone's typo with a typo of your own isn't the best way to do that. Kind of like you talking basketball when you know nothing about it, so...

On the backdoor cuts, the LVs pretty much eliminated those in the 2nd half (so good adjustment).

Unusual to see the LVs get outsized by that is the brave new world without TK, particularly when Jillian isn't going well. But dang, for a 6'1 post, Franklin gets a lot done.

The team did a decent job in getting Stanford's starting bigs in foul trouble but Stanford has really good depth there.

I actually like the potential of this smaller line-up and its ability to spread the floor.

The LVs shot really well through 3 quarters. Good shooting kept them close when their defense was suspect and got them a decent lead during their best quarter of the season (3).

They lost the game because they went ice cold in the 4th quarter. Don't know if that was due to fatigue, pressure or some combo but they had plenty of chance to stay in front and could not hit open shots down the stretch.

I think this team was looking for RJ to carry them down the stretch. Once she is fully back into the main line-up, I think she will be able to do that. This was tough game to become "the closer" after you have been in bench storage for the last several games.

Honestly, not too many complaints about how the LVs matched up against #2 except Walker and Powell's repeatedly driving into the Stanford trees to get their lay-up attempts stuffed. Those plays were equivalent to TOs and killed the team's momentum.

A PG's number one job is the get the ball to the scorers and not to try to be the scorer.

Outstanding Post!!!

Perhaps the very best in this thread entitled 'Lady Vols vs #2 Shady Delicate Sunflowers w/Cheating Officials'

Unusual to see the LVs get outsized by that is the brave new world without TK, particularly when Jillian isn't going well. But dang, for a 6'1 post, Franklin gets a lot done.

They lost the game because they went ice cold in the 4th quarter. Don't know if that was due to fatigue, pressure or some combo but they had plenty of chance to stay in front and could not hit open shots down the stretch.

I think this team was looking for RJ to carry them down the stretch. Once she is fully back into the main line-up, I think she will be able to do that. This was tough game to become "the closer" after you have been in bench storage for the last several games.

Been looking for point guard play since Kellie got here still looking for point guard play. We have point guards that think they are scorers first and passers second. Would be nice to have an elite scoring point guard we don't have one.

Been looking for point guard play since Kellie got here still looking for point guard play. We have point guards that think they are scorers first and passers second. Would be nice to have an elite scoring point guard we don't have one.

Good point.

Kellie needs to find.........another Kellie.

With that said, the turnovers are much much better over last three games. Walker / Powell won't be at a height disadvantage versus majority of SEC.

Reactions: Volfan2012
Still this season is now at hand we have to start winning. Twelve conference wins easily get us in the tourney so we have to be able to pull that off. Going into the conference were number 22 in the Net and in the number 3 conference in the country so look for at least six teams out of the SEC. Creme says seven but I think it could be one or two less. For sure four will make it and we have to be in that group.

Still this season is now at hand we have to start winning. Twelve conference wins easily get us in the tourney so we have to be able to pull that off. Going into the conference were number 22 in the Net and in the number 3 conference in the country so look for at least six teams out of the SEC. Creme says seven but I think it could be one or two less. For sure four will make it and we have to be in that group;

Yep, it is not getting down to where results (wins) need to start to adding up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Madtown, interesting statements. IMO, when Kelley was hired I expected the guard positions to be the strength of her teams and thought she would probably personally coach the PG's. But their play doesn't seem to support that. Any thoughts on this?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Madtown, interesting statements. IMO, when Kelley was hired I expected the guard positions to be the strength of her teams and thought she would probably personally coach the PG's. But their play doesn't seem to support that. Any thoughts on this?
JMO have to be the coaches fault when you let these guards do the same thing game after game. Coaches should've put a stop to it well before this season. 5'5" point guards are not drivers. Of course if they have an open look take it, but leave the driving to the basket to the big forward or guards.

JMO have to be the coaches fault when you let these guards do the same thing game after game. Coaches should've put a stop to it well before this season. 5'5" point guards are not drivers. Of course if they have an open look take it, but leave the driving to the basket to the big forward or guards.

It is an odd dynamic that our three shortest players don't shoot the 3-ball well.

I just a positive of that, at least they aren't trying to shoot the 3-ball in games.

We got 10 days to adjust. CRAAAAAAZZZYYY talk here...ten questions!
Can Wynn play point and shoot 3-ball?
Can Pissott play point guard? She can shoot.
Can Darby play point?
Horston could play point.
Is Jess out for year?
Can we pick-up a midterm transfer like Barnes did with Santi?

Next starting lineup, have Horston and RJ out front. Mix them the same three across the baseline with Karo, Darby, Buckett. That would be interesting!

Let Su play point? She secretly wants to be Magic Johnson. Su can shoot the 3 ball.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
My question to Coach Harper if I was in the media. Why can't your team efficiently take the last shot when the clock is under thirty seconds. They always shoot to soon and no reason to do it. Even if we miss a bad shot for sure the other team is not getting one at all. This has hurt us shooting to early in the clock it has to stop.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
It wasn't just the guards that had shots blocked trying to drive to the basket: Horston was blocked at at least three times, I think; Jackson was blocked, Franklin was blocked trying to drive to the basket after she passed up a 6-foot shot.

The bottom line is that we don't have enough offensive balance on the team. Suarez and Puckett provided some in this game and both seem to be getting their groove back, so that should help going forward.

You gotta let your better/best players play with fouls sometimes. Harper seems obsessed with not getting players in foul trouble--only for some of them to sit for long periods--doing us no good--and then when the game ends they've got 3 fouls and we've lost. See Puckett, Jackson. For Puckett to have a good first half, as she did, and then not play but 4 minutes in the 2nd was dumb. Vanderveer played one of her starters the entire 2nd quarter with 2 fouls. She was asked about it at halftime and simply said that the player was experienced and smart and that she trusted her to not get her 3rd foul.

What happened in the 4th quarter was what has happened to us regularly for years--we lost our poise. We seem to have a habit when playing strong opponents of either starting strong and playing a good first half and then fading/collapsing late or the opposite--falling way behind in the first half and then rallying. The result of either scenario is a word that begins with the letter L.

It wasn't just the guards that had shots blocked trying to drive to the basket: Horston was blocked at at least three times, I think; Jackson was blocked, Franklin was blocked trying to drive to the basket after she passed up a 6-foot shot.

The bottom line is that we don't have enough offensive balance on the team. Suarez and Puckett provided some in this game and both seem to be getting their groove back, so that should help going forward.

You gotta let your better/best players play with fouls sometimes. Harper seems obsessed with not getting players in foul trouble--only for some of them to sit for long periods--doing us no good--and then when the game ends they've got 3 fouls and we've lost. See Puckett, Jackson. For Puckett to have a good first half, as she did, and then not play but 4 minutes in the 2nd was dumb. Vanderveer played one of her starters the entire 2nd quarter with 2 fouls. She was asked about it at halftime and simply said that the player was experienced and smart and that she trusted her to not get her 3rd foul.

What happened in the 4th quarter was what has happened to us regularly for years--we lost our poise. We seem to have a habit when playing strong opponents of either starting strong and playing a good first half and then fading/collapsing late or the opposite--falling way behind in the first half and then rallying. The result of either scenario is a word that begins with the letter L.

You make good points. But, I will live with Jordan H. and Rickea taking those shots even if they get blocker. More of than note, the will draw a foul. It is worse when munchkins Powell and Walker force into the land of the giants. As Volfan2012, take an open lane when it is there but otherwise. I am sure Kellie coaches that but I think both of those players get tunnel vision and think they can make a play, generally to the detriment of the team.

I completely agree with you on the offensive balance issue. Neither Powell or Walker have much confidence in their shot which makes them one dimensional. This team looks at its best when Tess and now Puckett are spreading the floor and hitting some 3s. The LVs had a lot of good looks from behind the arc in the 4th and just went stone cold. Why this collapse keeps happening i am not sure,. As much as Kellie rotates the line-up, it is hard to think it is fatigue.

Last edited:

Yeah. When Buckett picked up foul number 3 nine seconds into third quarter, I wish Kellie had left her in game. But, at the time, I thought it was right to send in Jackson for her. Tara came out with a good play for Brink to isolate right on Buckett to draw that foul...and it was an obvious foul.

In photo below, the back row is for most part doing their jobs.

The question for me....on front row, who is the best 3-ball shooter? Make that girl the point guard if they can dribble at all. If the answer is Jordy, who is the second best shooter? Have a game of horse. Lady Vols.jpg

That`s my point you just can`t say we have a high net ranking so we are in. Not so fast !
I am not saying that. But this talk of having to make SEC finals etc when we have yet to play SECgame is crazy. Plenty of wins to be had over NCAA tourney teams in SEC play. Sure we are disappointed in season so far but we are not in any danger of missing NCAA tournament unless things go downhill from here on.

My question to Coach Harper if I was in the media. Why can't your team efficiently take the last shot when the clock is under thirty seconds. They always shoot to soon and no reason to do it. Even if we miss a bad shot for sure the other team is not getting one at all. This has hurt us shooting to early in the clock it has to stop.
Interesting. I see it just the opposite. We wait way too late. I was always coached that you go with about 8 secs left. About 3 or 4 secs to develop the play and make a pass, another couple to get a shot off, and final second for rebound and putback. Instead, with 6 seconds left we're still dribble, dribble, slow dribble with no apparent plan going into motion. Panic sets in at about 4 and the inevitable prayer of a fallaway brick goes up at the horn.

Early or late, this is definitely a longstanding problem, as is the guards' tendency to overdrive into the trees and get stuffed. You'd think being fed the amount of leather they have would be warning enough, but apparently not.

Tenn caan still earn top 4 seed which means tenn is one of the top 16 ncaa overall. tenn gets their by finish top 3 sec regular season and beating a top 25 sec team hogs or tigers fits that.
If we play like we did yesterday we will be fine. Our posts are going to he fine in most games and the way we have cut down turnovers is a huge plus for this team. I don't know if Kellie views it as RJ or SP starts. If so that is a dilemma because SP has been a bright spot. On another note I still do not understand how that one flat shot of Striplin went in the basket. I do t think it banked but it was so flat and it appeared to go right in the basket. Did she get fouled on that shot ? Did it bank in?

VN Store

Back