Game Thread: Tennessee (15-8, 8-3 SEC) versus No. 1 South Carolina (23-0, 10-0) @ Food City Center, 2/15, 7:00 PM (EST), ESPN

I know people on here like passive and timid players, but I don’t mind a player showing passion or their personality if it leads to winning, that’s what it’s about in my book. As an example, Micheal Jordan was always intense and demanded greatness from his teammates, and it lead to winning.
Pretty sure there's a stop btw passive and timid and theatrical passion and that's where most players fall. I'd call it appropriately demonstrative. I think our team does awesome chest bumps, and are also big on butt slaps.

LOL, remember a few yrs ago when Jordy was slapping people upside the head? Someone, maybe Rae or Rennia, got a little peeved over one particularly passionate smack.

Pretty sure there's a stop btw passive and timid and theatrical passion and that's where most players fall. I'd call it appropriately demonstrative. I think our team does awesome chest bumps, and are also big on butt slaps.

LOL, remember a few yrs ago when Jordy was slapping people upside the head? Someone, maybe Rae or Rennia, got a little peeved over one particularly passionate smack.
Those smacks were kind of hard so I didn’t agree with that, but I don’t mind if a player does what it takes to fire up their teammates, as a player u know what works with your teammates, no matter what people call it, as long as at the end of the day they call you a Champion. As for me I have no problem with the way Reese pumps her team up, I’m not one of the people that hate her for certain reasons.

Those smacks were kind of hard so I didn’t agree with that, but I don’t mind if a player does what it takes to fire up their teammates, as a player u know what works with your teammates, no matter what people call it, as long as at the end of the day they call you a Champion. As for me I have no problem with the way Reese pumps her team up, I’m not one of the people that hate her for certain reasons.

Okay, but I still draw the line at drowning bags of kittens.

Reactions: glv98 and Amb3096
I think you are misreading some of the posters comments. Most of us know we are short on talent and are disappointed that we have not been able to sign some of out targets. However, we have been ablate improve our talent level through the portal to the degree that we can still play with most of the top t3ams in the SEC. The injury to Jackson hurt us early in the season and I don't think she is yet fully recovered. Key's medical condition has been a major problem and is still a work in progress. We have one top ranked player coming in, but we need a couple more to become more competitive. None of this means we are happy with the current talent level of the tam or the effort that they have shown in some games this year. however, some of us are willing to praise effort when we see it. Negative attitudes never produce success, but continued effort can produce improvement.
You are correct. CKH will get us where we need to be. She has had 5 years to improve, learn to motivate, upgrade her coaching staff and learn to recruit. She has done NONE of these things. We need to cut the cord and go get a real coach. Coach KH is a good person but not the coach and leader for the Lady Vols.

Reactions: Deebowbear
@DarkPhoenix. And you’ve been wrong for years👆.
Rae Burrell injury slowed her down and yet she continues to showcase her skills in the WNBA.

Jordan Horston looked great in the WNBA her rookie season.

Jewel Spear just a week ago was SEC player of the week and was the leading scorer in the ACC as a sophomore.

Rickea Jackson will be a lottery pick and coming to Tennessee played a big part in her finalizing her collegiate career at a high level.

Keep saying it and keep being wrong.

Next players in line are Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd.

Too many prominent recruiting analysts and scouts have raved about their ability for me to let spiteful and envious fans discredit their potential.

These were players who combined were offered scholarships by Tennessee, Utah, Florida State, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and South Carolina among others.

Some programs have done way more with way less than the leaders Tennessee has had over the years.

I will say injuries haven’t helped in the case of Tamari Key and others. But stop with the nonsense about the ability of the roster. You sound crazy.
when you made no mention of Puckett,Darby,Striplin that alone tells me unless we hit the portal with some good players we truly are in trouble next year

I know people on here like passive and timid players, but I don’t mind a player showing passion or their personality if it leads to winning, that’s what it’s about in my book. As an example, Micheal Jordan was always intense and demanded greatness from his teammates, and it lead to winning.

Well, Jordan's intensity did not lead to winning championships until he connected with Phil Jackson, the triangle offense, and was surrounded with a very strong and deep set of role players, including two hall of famers_Pippen and Rodman. His "intensity" did not accomplish much upon his ill-advised return to the sport with Washington.

In contrast, Tim Duncan was perhaps the most reserved human being to ever live and he did just fine winning multiple (4?) titles on a team that was overall pretty even keeled.

We all love psychological explanations for why teams win or lose but more often than not it comes down to having a sufficient level of talent and a coach who can manage talented rosters effectively.

The LVs did not need more yelling and screaming in the 4th quarter last night; they needed to make more shots.

Well, Jordan's intensity did not lead to winning championships until he connected with Phil Jackson, the triangle offense, and was surrounded with a very strong and deep set of role players, including two hall of famers_Pippen and Rodman. His "intensity" did not accomplish much upon his ill-advised return to the sport with Washington.

In contrast, Tim Duncan was perhaps the most reserved human being to ever live and he did just fine winning multiple (4?) titles on a team that was overall pretty even keeled.

We all love psychological explanations for why teams win or lose but more often than not it comes down to having a sufficient level of talent and a coach who can manage talented rosters effectively.

The LVs did not need more yelling and screaming in the 4th quarter last night; they needed to make more shots.
Like I said I haven’t seen a player on this team be intense in a few years now. As for the Spurs, Coach Popovich was intense and so was finals MVP Tony Parker, it doesn’t have to be your best players but should be one of the best. It’s not about yelling and screaming, it’s about getting your players together and letting them know we will not lose this game, everyone do your job and let’s get it done.

Make more shots,,,,They were worn out
Rickea 38 min
Jazzy 38 min
Jewel 36 min
Sara 35 min
Tamari 19 min

The rest of the team 34 minutes

instead of going home with 3 timeouts in her pocket Kellie should have used two to rest her warriors
48-48 start of Q4 she had 4 timeout
took one at 3 mins (down 4 points)
the next one was taken at 30 seconds left,down 11 points
none taken during the next 5-1/2 minutes,,even though it was a 10-2 run

Poor Game Management!

No timeouts to try to stop runs
No timeout to rest her players
What does she think they are for????

I have never seen a coach so reluctant to call a timeout,,well, maybe one

Last edited:
You say this but did you see what South Carolina did to a top 10 team just last Sunday? They blew out UConn and it was not even close at any part during that game. So you may say we're not near a top 10 team but in the same breath we have to say UConn is not either. This game literally came down to few possessions.
Yes we played well defensively against USC but get real. UCONN is a team filled with injuries and just might not be a top 10 team because of that fact. Three things keep UCONN at the top of the food chain, their name, they beat the teams they surpose to beat, and they are in a weak conference. If the Lady Vols were in the Big East, they would have a significantly better record and in all probability would be ranked inside the top 15. I am proud of the ladies and how they played against USC but they are not a top 10 team. Maybe if they played every game with the same defensive fire they would at least be among the top 15 teams in the country.

Reactions: brittannica
Rickea 38 min
Jazzy 38 min
Jewel 36 min
Sara 35 min
Tamari 19 min

instead of going home with 3 timeouts in her pocket Kellie should have used two to rest her warriors

Poor Game Management!

These are not mutually exclusive options, you know. On the plus side, Kellie kept her most competitive line-ups on the floor to the extent possible, though cheap fouls on TK forced her hand a bit.

Since, she is not platooning, finding ways to let her key players get a rest would have been preferred.

I am not sure that a few timeouts would have made much different against SC's depth. The now do to teams what the LVs in the glory days - just keep hitting you with on dang McDs all-american after another.

I am a bit surprised at how negative the postmortem on this game has been. This game was not an Alabama caliber embarrassment. They went toe to toe with the best team in the country for over 3 quarters and had their best defensive intensity of the season.

If they can bottle that, they can take Vandy, LSU, and Texas A&M in this final stretch and get pretty deep into the conference tournament. Playing at the level, a S16 even as a lower seed is not out of the question.

Unfortunately, this team has not been consistent this season so they are going to have to finish against type to make this happen.

Rickea 38 min
Jazzy 38 min
Jewel 36 min
Sara 35 min
Tamari 19 min

Poor Game Management!

I am 100% with you coach. I give her credit, KJH knew she had to have her best on the floor most of the time not to get blown away. Against a top 10 team, we have a weak bench. They seem to try hard but the talent, or they have not been coach up enough to meet the likes of USC’s bench players. We just ran out of gas.

These are not mutually exclusive options, you know. On the plus side, Kellie kept her most competitive line-ups on the floor to the extent possible, though cheap fouls on TK forced her hand a bit.

Since, she is not platooning, finding ways to let her key players get a rest would have been preferred.

I am not sure that a few timeouts would have made much different against SC's depth. The now do to teams what the LVs in the glory days - just keep hitting you with on dang McDs all-american after another.

I am a bit surprised at how negative the postmortem on this game has been. This game was not an Alabama caliber embarrassment. They went toe to toe with the best team in the country for over 3 quarters and had their best defensive intensity of the season.

If they can bottle that, they can take Vandy, LSU, and Texas A&M in this final stretch and get pretty deep into the conference tournament. Playing at the level, a S16 even as a lower seed is not out of the question.

Unfortunately, this team has not been consistent this season so they are going to have to finish against type to make this happen.
I won’t get into the best team argument, but u play to win I do t believe in moral victories, we had them and gave the game away in my opinion, not about timeouts or tired, we just didn’t hit shots when needed and Spear just had a off night. Everyone on here giving a funeral for when we go to Sc but I think we can win that game just like thought we could win this one, so for the people that think we can’t win, no need to watch. And if u want to know how I feel, go look at my Dennis Green video post.

No she had more of a green light at Wake and didn’t hesitate, she was very passive in the beginning and started to get more in a groove recently, she just needs to be aggressive and demand the ball.
I agree she had the green light at Tech but it was from 3 not putting the ball on the floor. Stephanie White said the same thing last night,

I won’t get into the best team argument, but u play to win I do t believe in moral victories, we had them and gave the game away in my opinion, not about timeouts or tired, we just didn’t hit shots when needed and Spear just had a off night. Everyone on here giving a funeral for when we go to Sc but I think we can win that game just like thought we could win this one, so for the people that think we can’t win, no need to watch. And if u want to know how I feel, go look at my Dennis Green video post.

Yeah, 0-8, 0 points, and -12 rating qualifies as an "off night. "Was there a debate on that point?

Now, was that just an off night (just like Rickea had an off 2nd half) or did SC's defense have a little something to do with it (coupled with the LVs now expectable deficiencies in running half court offensive sets).

We never had "them". A 3 pt lead at half time is not going to make the #1 team in the country nervous.

It is a story of overmatched teams. They can fight but not sustain over the course of the entire game because fatigue sets in. It is the story that LVs fan have seen for many, many years--it is just that the shoe has been put in the proverbial other foot.

Okay, you don't believe in "moral victories" and what does that change exactly? Do the LVs still have 4 games left in the SEC conference? So, maybe trying to build on what they did well, particularly on the defensive end in this loss to SC, would not be such a bad idea going forward, right?

Yeah, 0-8, 0 points, and -12 rating qualifies as an "off night. "Was there a debate on that point?

Now, was that just an off night (just like Rickea had an off 2nd half) or did SC's defense have a little something to do with it (coupled with the LVs now expectable deficiencies in running half court offensive sets).

We never had "them". A 3 pt lead at half time is not going to make the #1 team in the country nervous.

It is a story of overmatched teams. They can fight but not sustain over the course of the entire game because fatigue sets in. It is the story that LVs fan have seen for many, many years--it is just that the shoe has been put in the proverbial other foot.

Okay, you don't believe in "moral victories" and what does that change exactly? Do the LVs still have 4 games left in the SEC conference? So, maybe trying to build on what they did well, particularly on the defensive end in this loss to SC, would not be such a bad idea going forward, right?
She had an off night just like Rickea 2nd half. Both should have put up more shots anyway but whatever. This roster is flawed and that’s why all things need to click, we need both of our stars to shine in these big games and we’ll have a chance to win. Maybe we will beat them or maybe we won’t, I’ve watched Sc play 2 games this season and that’s against LSU and against us, I’ve seen all I need to see and I have my option on what I think they are,

She had an off night just like Rickea 2nd half. Both should have put up more shots anyway but whatever. This roster is flawed and that’s why all things need to click, we need both of our stars to shine in these big games and we’ll have a chance to win. Maybe we will beat them or maybe we won’t, I’ve watched Sc play 2 games this season and that’s against LSU and against us, I’ve seen all I need to see and I have my option on what I think they are,

Not that it really matters but I am not sure what you are arguing here-- that the undefeated, #1 ranked, defending champion is not "really" better than the bubble team LVs sitting at 15-9?

At some point, reality and facts needs to play some role in these discussions or else we should go over to Xitter and fabricate whatever world we want.

Sure if Rickea and Jewel to each score 40 against SC, the LVs would probably take the game but the odds of that happening are pretty low.

Not that it really matters but I am not sure what you are arguing here-- that the undefeated, #1 ranked, defending champion is not "really" better than the bubble team LVs sitting at 15-9?

At some point, reality and facts needs to play some role in these discussions or else we should go over to Xitter and fabricate whatever world we want.

Sure if Rickea and Jewel to each score 40 against SC, the LVs would probably take the game but the odds of that happening are pretty low.
I thought this was about Sc, what does defending champion LSU have to do with this, I’m not saying we have a better overall roster, I’m saying we could have won the game. I’m not worried about no ranking I go on what I see, my opinion on who the best team/teams are can be different from anyone else’s opinion. Right now I’m focused on us getting the win on Sunday.

I thought this was about Sc, what does defending champion LSU have to do with this, I’m not saying we have a better overall roster, I’m saying we could have won the game. I’m not worried about no ranking I go on what I see, my opinion on who the best team/teams are can be different from anyone else’s opinion. Right now I’m focused on us getting the win on Sunday.

Sorry, major brain fart, forget "the defending champion" miscue (I guess I have not fully accepted LSU winning it all last season).

I mean to refer to SC who lost in last years semifinal game to CC and Iowa.

I was pulling hard for Iowa in the final.

Sorry, major brain fart, forget "the defending champion" miscue (I guess I have not fully accepted LSU winning it all last season).

I mean to refer to SC who lost in last years semifinal game to CC and Iowa.

I was pulling hard for Iowa in the final.
No problem, this will be an interesting tournament this year, hopefully we can make it in.

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back