Game Thread: Tennessee (15-8, 8-3 SEC) versus No. 1 South Carolina (23-0, 10-0) @ Food City Center, 2/15, 7:00 PM (EST), ESPN

LOL no. But it wouldn't stop her from saying it nor someone here saying she said it.

We'll roll out the welcome mat for Ole Ang for the first time on 2/25.
One thing she said during the WNBA draft was that Rickea is her toughest matchup.

Folks can criticize Powell's overzealousness yesterday, but there is no one on the team with more willingness to put it all out there every play than JP. She was just trying to make things happen. It was obvious to her that Spear wasn't on, and that SC's interior defense was making it too hard to get the ball inside to the posts.

So, basically, JP was hoping that eventually her shots would fall if she didn't give up on herself. I, for one, can't fault a player for trying as hard as she did to get scoring rallies started.
She tried and I’ll give her that, but a Pg’s job is to get her teammates involved, and that means get Jewel some easy shots when she’s struggling, because she knows that’s what we will need in order to win.

Reactions: Amb3096
@DarkPhoenix. And you’ve been wrong for years👆.
Rae Burrell injury slowed her down and yet she continues to showcase her skills in the WNBA.

Jordan Horston looked great in the WNBA her rookie season.

Jewel Spear just a week ago was SEC player of the week and was the leading scorer in the ACC as a sophomore.

Rickea Jackson will be a lottery pick and coming to Tennessee played a big part in her finalizing her collegiate career at a high level.

Keep saying it and keep being wrong.

Next players in line are Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd.

Too many prominent recruiting analysts and scouts have raved about their ability for me to let spiteful and envious fans discredit their potential.

These were players who combined were offered scholarships by Tennessee, Utah, Florida State, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and South Carolina among others.

Some programs have done way more with way less than the leaders Tennessee has had over the years.

I will say injuries haven’t helped in the case of Tamari Key and others. But stop with the nonsense about the ability of the roster. You sound crazy.

She tried and I’ll give her that, but a Pg’s job is to get her teammates involved, and that means get Jewel some easy shots when she’s struggling, because she knows that’s what we will need in order to win.

Here is the problem with Spear and not sure if many know. When she was at GT she was a spot up 3 point shooter. Since she has come on TN she has been working on driving to the basket more.

This is what I’ve been saying the last couple of years that’s what this team is lacking, we do have a special player like Rickea but that’s about it, we have that’s player/players that refuse to lose and wants to win at any cost. Last night was the 1st time I’ve seen any type of will but that’s just one game.
Once again, and last time around on this, you know what you see but none of us really have the vaguest idea what leadership is like on this team. We do know they're not showy about it, that's just their style. But just bc we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Last edited:
@DarkPhoenix. And you’ve been wrong for years👆.
Rae Burrell injury slowed her down and yet she continues to showcase her skills in the WNBA.

Jordan Horston looked great in the WNBA her rookie season.

Jewel Spear just a week ago was SEC player of the week and was the leading scorer in the ACC as a sophomore.

Rickea Jackson will be a lottery pick and coming to Tennessee played a big part in her finalizing her collegiate career at a high level.

Keep saying it and keep being wrong.

Next players in line are Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd.

Too many prominent recruiting analysts and scouts have raved about their ability for me to let spiteful and envious fans discredit their potential.

These were players who combined were offered scholarships by Tennessee, Utah, Florida State, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia, Ole Miss, Texas A&M, and South Carolina among others.

Some programs have done way more with way less than the leaders Tennessee has had over the years.

I will say injuries haven’t helped in the case of Tamari Key and others. But stop with the nonsense about the ability of the roster. You sound crazy.
Show me one time I’ve said anything negative about Rae, Spear or Rickea, I’ve always said they are all big time players and never we wavered on that. I think u might be confusing me with someone else.

I don’t think you being stunned or not is that important. She had the starting position and struggled. I believe due to injury.

Has played all season. Never been benched during her time at Tennessee.

She did not transfer to Tennessee as a starter. Maybe it’s what you want to see. There’s no good reason for her to transfer. She likely starts next season as a senior.

But maybe you know more than everyone else about why she should. To each its own.
I don't think you chiming in your opinion means a heckofa lot to me
good day

ANd wasn't you going to announce something
credibility dwindling

Not comparable at all… we also played Tess knowing there wasn’t a chance she could even get a shot off.

Acting like she hasn’t played in big games before coming to UT is insane. If anything she’s played in way bigger games than Kaiya
rewatch the game,,,Tess had a few open looks,,,and passed the ball

Once again, and last time around on this, you know what you see but none of us really have the vaguest idea what leadership is like on this team. We do know they're not showy about it, that's just there style. But just bc we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
I see when I watch the games, when a team is down I need to someone pulling their team together and demanding greatness, I never once have seen that, people like to talk about how other players do it on other teams but they do it and that’s what matters. I’ve never been happy with losing in my life and I don’t like to watch players that are ok with it.

Here is the problem with Spear and not sure if many know. When she was at GT she was a spot up 3 point shooter. Since she has come on TN she has been working on driving to the basket more.
No she had more of a green light at Wake and didn’t hesitate, she was very passive in the beginning and started to get more in a groove recently, she just needs to be aggressive and demand the ball.

Reactions: glv98
Our offense leaves me scratching my head. The ball sticks way too much and nobody moving. Everyone just standing around for a few seconds and then someone will come too. We seem to do better in transition when we don't blow the layups.
Yes, I watched a bit of the Vandy game last night and even though the shots were not falling, all five on the floor were moving and they were setting screens.

Because it was also SC's worst played game of the season, and they won't make that mistake twice against the same opponent. I credit Tennessee's defense to an extent, but they also missed a ton of shots close to the basket in which Tennessee didn't do anything special. Look at how Tennessee beat them at home 3 years ago, and then got crushed in the rematch in the SECT.

If Tennessee was going to beat them, that was the opportunity: off game from the #1 team, home court advantage, home crowd. They came close, but still lost. The chances SC plays that poorly again is very unlikely.
agree,,,we have to win two from LSU, TAMU or Vandy,,,,there is no chance we will see in SC what we saw here

Reactions: glv98
incredible this is even up for debate
agree
but Vandy DID invest in a high profile coach in Shea Ralph

And I have said it for years,,,great players seek out great coaches and great coaches seek out great players

Vandy is going to become much more of a headache as time goes on

Reactions: Amb3096

No she had more of a green light at Wake and didn’t hesitate, she was very passive in the beginning and started to get more in a groove recently, she just needs to be aggressive and demand the ball.
Agree. I saw lots of video frm Jewel at wake where she got to the rim. It was one of the things we liked about her. We already had spot up 3 shooters.

I think Jewel is still adjusting to the physical play of the SEC and finding her role. Also, Jewel will benefit alot from another yr of strength and conditioning.

Reactions: travis929
What Angel does with her team that’s what she does and her teammates respect it and it shows in their play, Champions do what’s needed to fire up their team and drives them to be great, I’ll leave it at that.
Right, that's my point. LSU's style, from Mulkey's clothes to Angel's theatrics, is loud and proud. Making sure everyone is watching. And you like seeing that and wish we'd do it for your viewing pleasure. But it's not our style. And it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'd also point out it's not really So Car's style either.

Last edited:
Because it was also SC's worst played game of the season, and they won't make that mistake twice against the same opponent. I credit Tennessee's defense to an extent, but they also missed a ton of shots close to the basket in which Tennessee didn't do anything special. Look at how Tennessee beat them at home 3 years ago, and then got crushed in the rematch in the SECT.

If Tennessee was going to beat them, that was the opportunity: off game from the #1 team, home court advantage, home crowd. They came close, but still lost. The chances SC plays that poorly again is very unlikely.
That was Spears worse game and not a great 2nd half by Rickea, I don’t think that will happen again either, that’s a game we can win. And this video is how I truly feel.

Off topic, but did you guys see the shot that Caitlin Clark set the NCAA scoring record with last night? She receives a pass
in the back-court, crosses half court line, take ONE dribble into the front court, on the left, and launches a jumper that had to be very close to 30 feet
from the basket and drains it like it was a 12-footer. She was at least six feet behind the 3-line, I'd estimate, which would make it more than 28 feet, if not more. Crazy.

Nope, didn't see it.

Right, that's my point. LSU's style, from Mulkey's clothes to Angel's theatrics, is loud and proud. Making sure everyone is watching. And you like seeing that and wish we'd do it for your viewing pleasure. But it's not our style. And it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I'd also point out it's not really So Car's style either.
I know people on here like passive and timid players, but I don’t mind a player showing passion or their personality if it leads to winning, that’s what it’s about in my book. As an example, Micheal Jordan was always intense and demanded greatness from his teammates, and it lead to winning.

VN Store

Back