Game Thread: Tennessee (15-8, 8-3 SEC) versus No. 1 South Carolina (23-0, 10-0) @ Food City Center, 2/15, 7:00 PM (EST), ESPN

Glad someone else mentioned it but for all the shots taken at Jewel Spear, PaoPao scored 4 pts, generational freshman 5 pts, and Raven 2 pts.

And actually PaoPao traveled on one field goal but the officials didn’t call it..

Spear missed some good looks.. created some looks and got to rim but couldn’t score.

It wasn’t her night.

But I recall a NV saying PaoPao would score 50 pts on Tennessee and the self-proclaimed LV fans and SEC fan club/SC fans from Twitter on here have said nothing about her poor performance.

Don’t tell me crap about this being a LV forum.. cause the way you all put SC and LSU on a pedestal it’s just as much their forum.

Also, I have a question. Based on the game last night, give me one good reason why anyone thinks Tennessee can’t compete with SC for the rematch?

I don’t want to hear it’s senior night. Give me a basketball reason.
These folks getting excited about a win over a team that has 54 points in the 4th qtr lol.

Goof troop and NVs in full effect lol
We scored 55

This didn’t go as expected

Numbers and basketball isn’t your thing.

I'm really worried about Sunday's game, Vandy will be determined to beat us and I'm afraid we might still be emotionally drained from last night's loss.
Any team in SEC can beat the LV's on any given day ....especially on the road in that crackerbox of a gym .

Because they lost by 11 already on their court and struggle playing away. 2 points by Key and Spear and 7 points from the four off the bench.
Because it was also SC's worst played game of the season, and they won't make that mistake twice against the same opponent. I credit Tennessee's defense to an extent, but they also missed a ton of shots close to the basket in which Tennessee didn't do anything special. Look at how Tennessee beat them at home 3 years ago, and then got crushed in the rematch in the SECT.

If Tennessee was going to beat them, that was the opportunity: off game from the #1 team, home court advantage, home crowd. They came close, but still lost. The chances SC plays that poorly again is very unlikely.

Off topic, but did you guys see the shot that Caitlin Clark set the NCAA scoring record with last night? She receives a pass
in the back-court, crosses half court line, take ONE dribble into the front court, on the left, and launches a jumper that had to be very close to 30 feet
from the basket and drains it like it was a 12-footer. She was at least six feet behind the 3-line, I'd estimate, which would make it more than 28 feet, if not more. Crazy.
Not unusual for her .....I have seen her do that several times in last two years.

Glad someone else mentioned it but for all the shots taken at Jewel Spear, PaoPao scored 4 pts, generational freshman 5 pts, and Raven 2 pts.

And actually PaoPao traveled on one field goal but the officials didn’t call it..

Spear missed some good looks.. created some looks and got to rim but couldn’t score.

It wasn’t her night.

But I recall a NV saying PaoPao would score 50 pts on Tennessee and the self-proclaimed LV fans and SEC fan club/SC fans from Twitter on here have said nothing about her poor performance.

Don’t tell me crap about this being a LV forum.. cause the way you all put SC and LSU on a pedestal it’s just as much their forum.

Also, I have a question. Based on the game last night, give me one good reason why anyone thinks Tennessee can’t compete with SC for the rematch?

I don’t want to hear it’s senior night. Give me a basketball reason.

Because SC has more 5* players (and that matters), better depth (foul trouble does not hurt them), their shooting % will be much higher at home and LV's have no inside scoring game of consequence. SC bigs can do what they want. Your orange colored glasses will not help you in this game.

Our problem for many years is that we've just had very few, if any, special players--and by special I mean talented players who
have a strong competitive spirit and leadership abilities. Who in the last decade or longer would match that definition? We saw Powell
with great competitive spirit last night--but her overall performances was ot special. Jackson is very talented but almost never shows any competitive
fire and doesn't seem much of a leader. It would be nice if she was, but it's not her personality. Maybe she's shown a little leadership this year--i saw her wave everybody back on defense after making a shot in the first half---but not much more than that You gotta have some special players to be a good team--with a mix of qualities--and we've had precious few of them for years. Maybe Davis, maybe Burdick or Carter? Maybe. It helps to have coaches with some genuine competitive fire, and that has been missing, too.

Now Vandy's coming off a comeback victory at A&M (where we lost). Our girls just need to dig deep. Nashville court is a challenge.
Actualy, our turnaround is better than Vandy's. They probably got back from that God forsaken College Station in the wee hours, having had a late game there. Meanwhile our players were tucked in snug as a bug. Vandy players had some heavy mins too, Moore played all 40, Washington and Pierre about 34, and Cambridge 27.

And the travel for this game is nothing, just 2 1/2 hours on the bus. I think we'll be fine.
Why aren't we suggesting ways for our players to get better rather than encouraging them to transfer?
BC we're a brainless fan forum? I'm sure her actual coaches are suggesting ways Jill can get better. She had a very solid game just one game ago, Kellie said she's been practicing well.
the fact we CAN play like that but aren’t held to that standard is the problem
Not sure what you mean by "held to that standard" but again it sounds like the Naughty Lady Vol theory. As KJH explained to John Adams last night, playing like that is a learned experience and an aquired ability. Everyone wants to play like that all the time but more goes into it than just slogans and punching walls.
SC had a much bigger margin for error to make up for PPs bad game. Jewel's role in spreading the defense was crucial in opening things up a bit for RIckea instead of allowing her to be pummelled, like they did in the second half. Also, Raven had 15, count em, 15, rebounds so . .
Well the magic isn’t totally gone. I think USC would think so. Angel said playing at UT was the most fun/difficult
I'm sure every player who makes the SEC circuit appreciates the 10K give or take a few at TBA. They've seen the many places like Alabama, Georgia, Ky where there's a few hundred friends and family scattered about. It's pretty amazing to me that the LVs still draw crowds like they did last night since they rarely win these big games.

Last edited:
Our problem for many years is that we've just had very few, if any, special players--and by special I mean talented players who
have a strong competitive spirit and leadership abilities. Who in the last decade or longer would match that definition? We saw Powell
with great competitive spirit last night--but her overall performances was ot special. Jackson is very talented but almost never shows any competitive
fire and doesn't seem much of a leader. It would be nice if she was, but it's not her personality. Maybe she's shown a little leadership this year--i saw her wave everybody back on defense after making a shot in the first half---but not much more than that You gotta have some special players to be a good team--with a mix of qualities--and we've had precious few of them for years. Maybe Davis, maybe Burdick or Carter? Maybe. It helps to have coaches with some genuine competitive fire, and that has been missing, too.

Kaniya Boyd and Talaysia Cooper fit that mold. They need to be developed and played to their strengths. Those are athletic guards like the elite Colorado PG that has elevated the level of play at that program.

Both are Top 20-30 recruits. I believe Jewel Spear if she returns will have a completely different on-court presence next season. She has deferred to other players to lead the team. Over the years, looking at her film Jewel presence on the court was a lot different. She still has fun which is big.. but I would love to see her talking more and the team play through her.

Kaniya Boyd and Talaysia Cooper fit that mold.
Wouldn''t peg either for a vocal leader role, both seem very laid back and quiet from what I've seen of them. Maybe that's bc their new.

Once again I'd remind that bc you don't see it does not mean it doesn't happen. Unless you just want the on court theatre aspect. KJH was asked about vocal leadership and she said Karo. Rickea was asked and she said Tess writes stuff on the board. They talk often as they come back onto the floor after t.o.s and quarters, clearly pointing out adjustments to each other.

If your looking for a demonstrative, in their face guy on the floor, nah, this team doesn't do it. Angel has this annoying thing this year where she takes people's face in her hands and squeezes, even does it to Kim. If that's leadership and fire, I guess we lack it.

Folks can criticize Powell's overzealousness yesterday, but there is no one on the team with more willingness to put it all out there every play than JP. She was just trying to make things happen. It was obvious to her that Spear wasn't on, and that SC's interior defense was making it too hard to get the ball inside to the posts.

So, basically, JP was hoping that eventually her shots would fall if she didn't give up on herself. I, for one, can't fault a player for trying as hard as she did to get scoring rallies started.

Folks can criticize Powell's overzealousness yesterday, but there is no one on the team with more willingness to put it all out there every play than JP. She was just trying to make things happen. It was obvious to her that Spear wasn't on, and that SC's interior defense was making it too hard to get the ball inside to the posts.

So, basically, JP was hoping that eventually her shots would fall if she didn't give up on herself. I, for one, can't fault a player for trying as hard as she did to get scoring rallies started.
I have no problem with player playing all out making mistakes, trying to compete

Wouldn''t peg either for a vocal leader role, both seem very laid back and quiet from what I've seen of them. Maybe that's bc they’re new.

You haven’t been their coach so I wouldn’t expect you to or need to get your approval for pegging them in any role. Talaysia Cooper started in HS since the 7th grade. Boyd won multiple state championships and led her team as Defensive Player of the Year in her home state.

Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd both talk and are vocal on the floor in games.

They will show emotion as well.. go back and watch their highlights. 5-star McD All-American and 4-star guards that are athletic.

The thing with Coop is she had to redshirt and is right now transitioning to a new program.

Same situation with Kaniya Boyd as an high school senior who is an early enrollee.

They don’t have a reason to be talking now and displaying spirit when they aren’t in the game.

But Coop and Boyd both do engage with the team during games through celebrating from the sideline.

I wouldn’t confuse their off court persona with how their on-court demeanor is based on their game footage from HS.

Agree completely, I'll never not appreciate the dawg in JP this season. But her decision making was shaky, at least partially bc the Jewel option wasn't there. Film will help her see the times she missed a wide open Sara.

You haven’t been their coach so I wouldn’t expect you to or need to get your approval for pegging them in any role. Talaysia Cooper started in HS since the 7th grade. Boyd won multiple state championships and led her team as Defensive Player of the Year in her home state.
Her HS has barley over 700 students. I’d hope she would start in 7th grade.

This is what I’ve been saying the last couple of years that’s what this team is lacking, we do have a special player like Rickea but that’s about it, we have that’s player/players that refuse to lose and wants to win at any cost. Last night was the 1st time I’ve seen any type of will but that’s just one game.

Wouldn''t peg either for a vocal leader role, both seem very laid back and quiet from what I've seen of them. Maybe that's bc their new.

Once again I'd remind that bc you don't see it does not mean it doesn't happen. Unless you just want the on court theatre aspect. KJH was asked about vocal leadership and she said Karo. Rickea was asked and she said Tess writes stuff on the board. They talk often as they come back onto the floor after t.o.s and quarters, clearly pointing out adjustments to each other.

If your looking for a demonstrative, in their face guy on the floor, nah, this team doesn't do it. Angel has this annoying thing this year where she takes people's face in her hands and squeezes, even does it to Kim. If that's leadership and fire, I guess we lack it.
What Angel does with her team that’s what she does and her teammates respect it and it shows in their play, Champions do what’s needed to fire up their team and drives them to be great, I’ll leave it at that.

VN Store

Back