Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

Oh, lawd, Golfteacher. I'm with you on this. As amazing as Clark is, every single time I've watched her play I have been struck by how well and how often she displaces defenders with that off arm -- and it's rarely just a minor push, either. For whatever reason, she was allowed to use this illegal, unfair tactic on upwards of 50% of the time I've watched her.

In her defense, if it's not going to be called, then hell yeah, why SHOULDN'T she push defenders out of the way to get those amazing points and/or assist number up?

And yes, Connecticut likes to cry about being mauled, but they are experts at holding and setting illegal screens and pushing off HARD and getting away with it.

I don’t think players usually get called for that little shove with the off hand so I was surprised when the LSU player got called for it at the end of the game but it was interesting to see Kim’s reaction. Actually she kept her calm better than I expected, maybe she was just in shock.
I think RK does the same thing quite a bit but if the refs don’t call it, go for it. I was watching for it in our game against SC and sure enough, on our very 1st basket RJ was dribbling with her left hand and used her right arm to move out the defender and and then went up for her uncontested 8 foot shot in the key.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I don’t think players usually get called for that little shove with the off hand so I was surprised when the LSU player got called for it at the end of the game but it was interesting to see Kim’s reaction. Actually she kept her calm better than I expected, maybe she was just in shock.
I think RK does the same thing quite a bit but if the refs don’t call it, go for it. I was watching for it in our game against SC and sure enough, on our very 1st basket RJ was dribbling with her left hand and used her right arm to move out the defender and and then went up for her uncontested 8 foot shot in the key.

It wasn't a little shove when you hook your elbow right into the armpit area with such force that it completely raises the arm of the receiving player and then push the player out of your way from that vulnerable area. The only way to see that it is actually a significant foul is to watch the slow-mo replay of the foul from the camera angle behind the goal, which they did after showing the foul two other ways at first. The announcers were tentative until then about the foul but then they said "you can't do that" after the slow-mo version. The foul gave Angel two unfair advantages in that it cleared a space for her to take the shot and gave her a free lane to try to get the rebound. By the way, no one also talks about how Angel missed the shot despite hooking Justine out of the play so it is not like LSU would have been likely to have won even if the foul wasn't called.

I think Edie is a major asset to the team, and while she IS undersized, from what I've seen her heart is as big as the Smoky Mountains and I'm thrilled she's out there representing the program and her home state with the class and excitement she is bringing to both.

People. Listen up. Don't sleep on this little dynamo. Whether it's on the court or off, my gut tells me Edie Darby is one to watch out for. I'm not suggesting she's the next Parker, but give her a chance to learn and grow. I, for one, have been impressed by the hustle and fearlessness she's shown in the few minutes she's had on the court, and that, to me, deserves our respect and encouragement!
I like Edie and hope she receives the coaching she needs to make her a more viable asset For the Lady Vols. She has the heart ❤️!!

It wasn't a little shove when you hook your elbow right into the armpit area with such force that it completely raises the arm of the receiving player and then push the player out of your way from that vulnerable area. The only way to see that it is actually a significant foul is to watch the slow-mo replay of the foul from the camera angle behind the goal, which they did after showing the foul two other ways at first. The announcers were tentative until then about the foul but then they said "you can't do that" after the slow-mo version. The foul gave Angel two unfair advantages in that it cleared a space for her to take the shot and gave her a free lane to try to get the rebound. By the way, no one also talks about how Angel missed the shot despite hooking Justine out of the play so it is not like LSU would have been likely to have won even if the foul wasn't called.
Many players, especially some of your elite post players, not only use their off hand to displace defenders, they also use their shoulders. Boston does it a lot to create space. I have also seen RJ do the same thing. I believe that it will eventually be called like touch fouls are being called. I think it is a matter of time. It certainly gives bigger and stronger players an advantage.

P.S. If you are inclined to shoot back at me that I am insane for pumping up a role player, just STOP. For once in your miserable life, let your need to speak your "truth" be less important than allowing these young women to feel confident they are important to the program.
I assume you are not aiming this comment at me. I am high on Edie. She is one inch shorter than Vandersloot. The sky is the limit for Edie if she keeps working.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I assume you are not aiming this comment at me. I am high on Edie. She is one inch shorter than Vandersloot. The sky is the limit for Edie if she keeps working.
She was aiming it at a post about five pages back. Wouldn’t challenge her to a game of darts, though.
See #605 ⬆️

Maybe give this a try ,,,Have a discussion with someone that doesn't turn into an argument
Agree, dropping f bombs in post isn’t ideal for casual discussions. See, we agree more than you want to admit. And we agree a lot

Agree, dropping f bombs in post isn’t ideal for casual discussions. See, we agree more than you want to admit. And we agree a lot
I was glad I didn’t interject… it was killing me. You’re definitely both rabid Lady Vol fans. You just got expectations on hugely wide ends of the spectrum. Grateful to see a little civility. 😘

I was glad I didn’t interject… it was killing me. You’re definitely both rabid Lady Vol fans. You just got expectations on hugely wide ends of the spectrum. Grateful to see a little civility. 😘
Just like Thanksgiving around her sometimes in election years.

P.S. If you are inclined to shoot back at me that I am insane for pumping up a role player, just STOP. For once in your miserable life, let your need to speak your "truth" be less important than allowing these young women to feel confident they are important to the program.
You had me until the ' once in your miserable life' bit. Let me go and get my sunglasses and tin cup and find my usual street corner. Out of necessity of Edie and other player's confident , I will become blind to the importance of my "truth" and " raw and unadulterated" opinion that I thought made everyone's life happy and unmiserable.
LMAO..... P1

Oh, lawd, Golfteacher. I'm with you on this. As amazing as Clark is, every single time I've watched her play I have been struck by how well and how often she displaces defenders with that off arm -- and it's rarely just a minor push, either. For whatever reason, she was allowed to use this illegal, unfair tactic on upwards of 50% of the time I've watched her.

In her defense, if it's not going to be called, then hell yeah, why SHOULDN'T she push defenders out of the way to get those amazing points and/or assist number up?

And yes, Connecticut likes to cry about being mauled, but they are experts at holding and setting illegal screens and pushing off HARD and getting away with it.

I've been involved in sports playing and/or coaching a significant portion of my life and I'm retired these days. Most of it was solid and successful but I've been with teams that had defeated teams (meaning unable to win a single game during the season) to undefeated in league play and playing in a world series where we defeated the previous world champs from Puerto Rico but was unable to bring home the crown. So I want to recount one of the things I learned from watching, attending seminars, and having one on ones with very successful professional players and college coaches like Ken Dugan of Nashville Lipscomb fame and Bob Starcher who coached team USA for a time.

A rule is not a rule unless it is enforced. I learned this from people who pursued and in some cases won championships.

It is up to coaches and their staffs to know the rules through and through and coach their players up to the gnat's eyebrow to the edge of the rules and perhaps going over sometimes being too aggressive in attempting to win. Nothing wrong with being called on a rules violation trying to find what kind of officiating is taking place. It's abomination as a coach to lose a game for being to passive regarding tecognizing rule enforcement.

Reactions: Rooster1

VN Store

Back