Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

My problem w subs is how often a scheduled sub either breaks an offense in rythmn (which doesn't happen much) or replaces a player who's hot.

I get having Jordy sub out in the first rotation if she's started out a little erratic, but yesterday she was playing great. For God's sake don't fool with that! I get that Tess gets situational subs for D sometimes, but it seems she often gets taken out after hitting a couple of straight 3s. that shooting is so much about rythmn, don't break it. Sometimes she takes RJ out for the end of the qtr add on breather even if we're in a scoring draught. Chances to score go down exponentionally without her, especially on our special end of the quarter double deluxe play.

From now on they're all elimination games. Ride em while they're hot because we don't get hot all that much. She who hates change hangs on to planned rotation a little too much in some situations.
Man have you hit a nerve in my critique of the way we sub
I call it "subbing without purpose or schedule subbing"

There's a time to dance with designed steps and there's a time to free style...you have to be able to do both and know when to

I do think they think they're saving legs. And JH, RJ, JW are playing a ton of minutes. So many it seems a little petty to argue about 2 or 3 more, 38 instead of 35. But at this point, what are you saving them for? All seem fine to play as much as possible and all seem to have tolerated it amazingly well. Unless they're doubled over and shorts tugging, leave them alone when they're playing well.

Reactions: Prophet1 and Lurker
maybe the stripes should read that book again

Here are a FEW relevant facts....... 58 Rule 4 / Definitions

c. The space that a player may legally occupy is defined by an imaginary cylinder surrounding the player, which extends from the floor to as far above the player as he can jump or extend his arms and body. The diameter of the cylinder shall not extend beyond the hands/arms on the front (the arms bent at the elbow), the buttocks on the back and the legs on the sides. These dimensions may vary according to the height and size of the player.

d. The hands and arms may be raised or extended to the front no further than the feet and knees when the arms are bent at the elbow.
e. From such position, the defender may rise or jump vertically and occupy the space within his vertical plane.

f. The hands and arms of the defender may be raised within his vertical plane while the defender is on the playing court or in the air.

g. The defender shall not be penalized for leaving the playing court vertically or having his hands and arms extended within the vertical plane.

h. The offensive player, whether on the playing court or airborne, shall not “clear out” or cause contact that is not incidental.

i. The defender may not “belly up” or use the lower part of the body or arms to cause contact outside his vertical plane or inside the opponent's vertical plane.

j. The player with the ball shall be given no more protection or consideration than the defender in the judging of which player, if either, has violated the principle of verticality.

a. Legal guarding position must be established initially, and movement thereafter must be legal.

So unless a defenders movement completed with both feet invades the offensive guy's cylinder he can re-establish and maintain a legal cylinder.

A bunch more out there too....

Dawn was smart,attacked Darby everytime. She saw the weak spot on our D ..

I hate to say it but that is what she did. I also think it would help TN if Darby keeps moving without the ball most of the time she standing in one spot to wait for an opening.

Reactions: madtownvol
Not only targeted and abused TD on defense, but face guarded her with an outstanding defensive player. When you have the tools . . .

But putting in another nonscorer would not have helped. We only got 22 pts from anyone not named Horston or Jackson, and they both had to fight tooth and toenail (and with no fouls called) to get shots off. That's why we had no chance.

Not only targeted and abused TD on defense, but face guarded her with an outstanding defensive player. When you have the tools . . .

But putting in another nonscorer would not have helped. We only got 22 pts from anyone not named Horston or Jackson, and they both had to fight tooth and toenail (and with no fouls called) to get shots off. That's why we had no chance.

You are 100% correct like i said Wynn is not good on the offensive end but her athletic ability would have help i think. Plus i don`t see her going scoreless really Darby had 0 pts she can't do no worst. We can all agree to disagree.

Reactions: Prophet1
This so much. Hard to believe this was the ONLY such moment in this long season, except perhaps the last second win at Mizzu. But that was more of a glad to escape moment. I'll bet Kellie feels like she gave birth to the LSU win after a six month labor. Made sweeter bc it involved an epic comeback, and bc it was trash talking LSU. I just wish we they had longer to savor it.

All the players said after the game they think the LSU win will carry over. I sure hope so. Maybe at least one more bright, shining moment?

Every player, and coach, began every post game interview by giving credit to So Car. Well done.
Class coaches, class kids, class program.

Didn't see alot of bad calls, except on strip. More of no calls on SC end.....anytime you dip your shoulder to create space like SC center did all game..that's a foul..
Yes, Boston and Cardoso together made 13 of 14 free throws. According to the refs, Rickea wasn’t fouled even once. Horston was fouled once.

You are 100% correct like i said Wynn is not good on the offensive end but her athletic ability would have help i think. Plus i don`t see her going scoreless really Darby had 0 pts she can't do no worst. We can all agree to disagree.

I wish I'd seen Wynn play more to assess her offensive game. She's one of our best and most athletic defenders, and that is something this team sorely needs. But this is the problem with this team. We have players who can score some but can't defend and vice versa. Our overall team quickness/athleticism level is below par.

Yes, Boston and Cardoso together made 13 of 14 free throws. According to the refs, Rickea wasn’t fouled even once. Horston was fouled once.

Another rule the refs seemed to have overlooked or ignored.

d. An offensive or defensive player dislodging an opponent from an established position by pushing or backing in shall be a personal foul on the offending player.

How many times did their big's push or back into our smaller legally established defender's cylinder and not only dislodge them, but get the foul calls.

Anytime they receive the ball in the Lower Defensive Box there is no protective arc in the women's game. If I was a coach I would ask the ref's pregame to define the proper interpretation of that rule, then overplay just holding position with hands up inside the cylinder. Root Hogging is not a legal application of girth and strength if legal position is established.

My problem w subs is how often a scheduled sub either breaks an offense in rythmn (which doesn't happen much) or replaces a player who's hot.

I get having Jordy sub out in the first rotation if she's started out a little erratic, but yesterday she was playing great. For God's sake don't fool with that! I get that Tess gets situational subs for D sometimes, but it seems she often gets taken out after hitting a couple of straight 3s. that shooting is so much about rythmn, don't break it. Sometimes she takes RJ out for the end of the qtr add on breather even if we're in a scoring draught. Chances to score go down exponentionally without her, especially on our special end of the quarter double deluxe play.

From now on they're all elimination games. Ride em while they're hot because we don't get hot all that much. She who hates change hangs on to planned rotation a little too much in some situations.
I agree with keeping in the game a player who’s making shots. Yesterday, Striplin was called for 5 fouls, Rickea 3, and Jill 3. Even though players, especially yesterday, could use a little extra rest, I think the reason Kellie gets Jill or Rickea out of the game at the beginning or end of quarters is to try to avoid them getting called for a quick foul. She tries to keep her best players available for the fourth quarter.

I do hate seeing the dribbling down at the end of quarters which is almost always the prelude for that player to drive to the basket. Run a play, pass the ball.

Last edited:
I wish I'd seen Wynn play more to assess her offensive game. She's one of our best and most athletic defenders, and that is something this team sorely needs. But this is the problem with this team. We have players who can score some but can't defend and vice versa. Our overall team quickness/athleticism level is below par.
I might get killed for this but it’s the truth if you start Striplin Puckett and Darby next year it would be the worst defensive group in Lady Vols history

Man have you hit a nerve in my critique of the way we sub
I call it "subbing without purpose or schedule subbing"

There's a time to dance with designed steps and there's a time to free style...you have to be able to do both and know when to
What do you call putting Walker and Powell on court together? Or Stripling, Puckett , and Darby ?

What was puzzling to me was why Kellie didn't start Hollingshead instead of Stripling. Sub Wynn instead of Powell for Walker. There were players on the bench with ' fresh legs' that could've been utilized, two players who has been here two years and should have been ready , another who's a AA freshmen who should have been developed enough to play.
IDK, but anytime your point guard(s) keep driving where Cardoso and Boston reside , make me wonder what the be-jesus your staff is doing.

What was puzzling to me was why Kellie didn't start Hollingshead instead of Stripling. Sub Wynn instead of Powell for Walker. There were players on the bench with ' fresh legs' that could've been utilized, two players who has been here two years and should have been ready , another who's a AA freshmen who should have been developed enough to play.
IDK, but anytime your point guard(s) keep driving where Cardoso and Boston reside , make me wonder what the be-jesus your staff is doing.
Wynn is not a PG. Technically, that's not Walker's natural position, but she is at least serviceable playing that spot compared to Wynn who does not have the instincts needed to play PG.

Reactions: travis929
She's one of our best and most athletic defenders, and that is something this team sorely needs.

This is one of the bigger myths I see propagated on this forum. No doubt Wynn is fast and athletic, but she isn't a good defender. At this point, she really doesn't do anything well, hence her spot at the end of the bench...

This is one of the bigger myths I see propagated on this forum. No doubt Wynn is fast and athletic, but she isn't a good defender. At this point, she really doesn't do anything well, hence her spot at the end of the bench...

Unforunately, you are correct. Wynn gets caught out of position a lot and for all her athleticism, has trouble keeping attacking players in front of her.

I might get killed for this but it’s the truth if you start Striplin Puckett and Darby next year it would be the worst defensive group in Lady Vols history
Well worst is a high or low bar😆. All players have their strengths and weaknesses for sure and the group you mention were recruited for things other than lock down guard play. Two things:
TK in the paint erases a lot of defensive slips so hopefully she will be back on patrol next year!
Wynn can be an absolute stopper on defense if she can develop a little more offense. She has the blessing of being an amazing athlete but the curse of being an amazing athlete which at some levels lets you cut a few basic corners. I feel really confident the coaching staff is going to make sure she makes big leaps this offseason. IMO she is the best athlete on the team currently and very bright. Wow, to harness that for good not evil!!!
Okay so three not a couple/ all those kids you mentioned can be better. Tess made big strides over the summer.
All is not lost! Live in hope!

I do think they think they're saving legs. And JH, RJ, JW are playing a ton of minutes. So many it seems a little petty to argue about 2 or 3 more, 38 instead of 35. But at this point, what are you saving them for? All seem fine to play as much as possible and all seem to have tolerated it amazingly well. Unless they're doubled over and shorts tugging, leave them alone when they're playing well.
And if we are winning, it’s 2 games a weekend with rest in between!!!!!!

Okay, okay one last thing!!!!
Did anyone notice Kellie wore her lbd (little black dress for the fellas) in the LSU game?!? Just a little compare and contrast for KM! I promise that was not an accident!😂😂😂😂!!

It was a good luck and then she went full Elvis for the title game (I loved the matching sequins down the side of her pants!).

VN Store

Back