Game Thread: SEC FINAL; Lady Vols Vs SOU CAR...Sunday 3PM...ESPN

You can really see when we play these top teams that we need better guards on our team. Guards that can score points and shoot the three. If you had that and Horston and Jackson at the three and four would be so much better offensive team. Recruiting is the key to winning and making sure you don't have any weaknesses on your team. Right now our big weakness is no elite guards that can shoot the three.
Congrats to the team they played very hard in this tourney now let us see where we land in the NCAA. I think we can cause some real problems for some top seeds.

Yep---a weakness.

Charlie Creme is predicting that. He is off year after year. Anyone who follows this sport knows that.

He hasn't said a single word about Tennessee since they upset LSU yesterday.

Of course, he also hasn't said anything about LSU either. Hmm.

Reactions: GiveHim6InSC
He hasn't said a single word about Tennessee since they upset LSU yesterday.

Of course, he also hasn't said anything about LSU either. Hmm.
At Halftime he just said that "LSU had to be competitve against South Carolina to maintain their number 1 seed." He had Tennessee losing the game before the second half started.

I just want to give another shoutout to project free throw. Kudos to the coaching staff for gamifying the FT shooting process and motivating the team. Can't remember a Lady Vol team putting together a stretch of incredible free throw shooting like this, and I don't think we beat LSU (and frankly, maybe even Kentucky) without us being so solid at the line.

We need some teams to lose one is Villanova. If they lost today i think wed move on the four line.
They will most likely lose to Connecticut. Who lost to the better team? Then it should be who lost to the better team and by how many. If number 9 connecticut blows them out how does that make a lady vol loss to the number 1 team look?

Reactions: travis929
EIther the players or the AD need to have an intervention with Kellie over her substitution patterns. That crap has to stop. She yet again took a competitive game and turned it into one we had no chance to win.

And we should have tried to score on that last possession because those numbers go into the algorithms which help determine seeding.

The girls played hard and battled back despite being put in bad positions with the musical chair substitutions. No shame in losing to the best team in the country. Let's see if we can make this new level of performance our baseline in the NCAA instead of our ceiling.
I agree. Her sub rotations needs work but she doesn't have the quality depth Dawn and Geno have on their bench. Kellie should have played Edie Darby , Wynn and Miles just having the opportunity to say they played on " court " in a SEC championship game.
It wouldn't have hurt.

Reactions: LVol and Memvol44
They have a class that has been together for four years. They back them up with six more All Americans on the bench. If your ever going to beat them again
you have to recruit close to what they are doing.

Exactly. One high school recruit in two years isn’t going to work, especially when the single AA recruit can’t get off the bench for some reason known only by the coach. Why isn’t there a line of high school players waiting to come here?

Reactions: Volfan2012
They will most likely lose to Connecticut. Who lost to the better team? Then it should be who lost to the better team and by how many. If number 9 connecticut blows them out how does that make a lady vol loss to the number 1 team look?
I wish they would lose today.

IMO you gotta make a lot of threes--at least 8--to stay with this South Carolina team--and shoot well overall. We don't make enough threes--period..
Guards that can score points and shoot the three
Yep, that's it. Not possible for JH and RJ to do it alone if no one else can hit an outside shot. SC is way too good and way too big for those 2 to be successful on offense alone. Plus they were very tired and so esp RJ missed some shots she usually makes. For RJ not to get to the ft line at all is not good. Hated for her 20+ game streak to end, but they just make it too hard to score with help.

Refs were the refs, favor always going to the big dog, thought they got away with alot under the basket. But that's baked in.

Tess is better, did well last night, but far out of her league today. I didn't mind giving her mins to Pucket. if Tess can't hit 3s. Puckett can post up and is a better rebounder. Jill fought hard and did well at the line.

We only had 11 t.o.s and only outrebounded 39-33. But all the stars had to be aligned right to pull this off, esp in 3rd game in 3 days. Zero offense outside our two studs is going to be fatal against So Car every time.

Hope we can put this behind us and remember last night. As far as seeding, ironically I'm afraid the upshot of this tourney may be we're "rewarded" with a 5 instead of 6 seed, which we've established is usually a harder draw. I think the same "fool me once" mentality that keeps us out of the polls will keep us from the 4 line.

Last edited:
Exactly. One high school recruit in two years isn’t going to work, especially when the single AA recruit can’t get off the bench for some reason known only by the coach. Why isn’t there a line of high school players waiting to come here?
We have to hope 2024 will pickup quickly and that the portal provides us with a bridge to them.

I agree. Her sub rotations needs work but she doesn't have the quality depth Dawn and Geno have on their bench. Kellie should have played Edie Darby , Wynn and Miles just having the opportunity to say they played on " court " in a SEC championship game.
It wouldn't have hurt.

I think Wynn got a few seconds to play defense at the end of the second quarter. I saw a few subs ready to come in with about 20 seconds left. I wish we'd called a timeout and gotten them in to take a final shot.

It wouldn't have hurt.
She was going to sub late,but called them back and ran out the clock..

Reactions: JustaChicken
Yep, that's it. Not possible for JH and RJ to do it alone if no one else can hit an outside shot. SC is way too good and way too big for those 2 to be successful on offense alone. Plus they were very tired and so esp RJ missed some shots she usually makes. For RJ not to get to the ft line at all is not good at all. Hated for her 20+ game streak to end, but they just make it too hard to score with help.

Tess is better, did well last night, but far out of her league today. I didn't mind giving her mins to Puckett who can post up and is a better rebounder. Jill fought hard and did well at the line.

We only had 11 t.o.s but all the stars had to be aligned right to pull this off, esp in 3rd game in 3 days. We only got outrebounded 39-33. But zero offense outside our two studs is going to be fatal against So Car every time.

Hope we can put this behind us and remember last night. As far as seeding, ironically I'm afraid the upshot of this tourney may be we're "rewarded" with a 5 instead of 6 seed, which we've established is usually a harder draw. I think the same "fool me once" mentality that keeps us out of the polls will keep us from the 4 line.
I'm not expecting a four unless Villanova loses today. That could swing it to us and they might be playing at Tennessee.

Ohio State going through same thing as us, getting beat by 15 right now. They look tired after beating Indiana

I just want to give another shoutout to project free throw. Kudos to the coaching staff for gamifying the FT shooting process and motivating the team. Can't remember a Lady Vol team putting together a stretch of incredible free throw shooting like this, and I don't think we beat LSU (and frankly, maybe even Kentucky) without us being so solid at the line.
I second that!

VN Store

Back