Game Thread Lady Vols vs. ETSU

This team can greatly benefit from Tess Darby's outside perimeter scoring ability. Hope her lower leg injury is not serious and she gets back real soon. She seemed to be walking OK on the sidelines during the televised games. Would love to see her play against Texas and possibly even against West Virginia.

This team can greatly benefit from Tess Darby's outside perimeter scoring ability. Hope her lower leg injury is not serious and she gets back real soon. She seemed to be walking OK on the sidelines during the televised games. Would love to see her play against Texas and possibly even against West Virginia.

A consistent perimeter shooter would be a big piece of the puzzle that needs to be solved.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Just got to watch the game and expected to be mad but I'm not. ETSU looked better than I expected. Yes, the turnovers --- we've got to clean that up. But Horston (after her first 90 seconds of stupidity) looked really good. Burrell was very good, maybe her best game. Davis was excellent - very efficient, 5 steals in 18 minutes. Marta played much better than her stat line indicated - that nutmeg pass(!) to Green. Davis, Burrell, Horston, Walker, and Salary look really good defensively. This team has a much higher basketball IQ than any recent team.

They could have won by 40 had it not been for several momentum killing turnovers to go with some timely shooting by ETSU and several bail out calls. I liked how we were able to make runs to answer ETSU scores and maintain the lead for the most part. Inside was tough going.

They could have won by 40 had it not been for several momentum killing turnovers to go with some timely shooting by ETSU and several bail out calls. I liked how we were able to make runs to answer ETSU scores and maintain the lead for the most part. Inside was tough going.

Agreed. The turnovers hurt. Coach was honest about that in the post game. I like her post game talks. She actually analyzes how her team played and offers solutions. She can see the same problems we do which I’m thankful for. Holly was always throwing her hands up and saying, “I don’t know.” I like all the micd up practice videos as well, seems they are trying to include the fans again. Seemed like the Holly camp was always trying to restrict any information about the program, practice or problems.

I’m guessing we will not see Saunders at all against WVU and Texas. Likely limited Rennie and McCoy. Jessie’s defense is actually better than it looks after re-watching the games. She’s scrappy and gets her hands on a lot of passes. Her foot speed in transition still needs help, gotta get her in the weight room.

If McCoy plays more than 10 minutes we will have a hard time beating WV. We lose way too much on offense when she’s in. I noticed she’s out of position a lot as well. She accidentally takes her defender right to the player trying to make a play. Her game just isn’t at this level unfortunately. Sad because she has good size. The game just moves too fast for her at this level.

We won’t see Marta playing the point for certain. We could have pushed the lead out in the 4th last night if not for that experiment. We had a bunch of TOs in that last quarter alone.

I’m thinking either KK or Key starts against WVU with Green at the 4 and Marta coming off the bench. Personal preference but I like freshman coming off the bench the first half of the season anyway. No matter how talented.

My guess at starting line up against WVU

Walker-Burrell-Davis-Green-KK/Key

I think pretty quickly we will see that evolve to Walker-Horston-Burrell-Davis and KK/Key. JH and Burrell are basically interchangeable at the 2-3 based on the first two games. Marta, Salary, Green KK/Key and Darby will provide us with a lot of depth. Green’s leadership might keep her in the starting lineup. I can see Rennie getting some minutes at the end of quarters. Her defense isn’t too bad and we can run some situational offense and get her a couple looks at the 3. Wish she’d have had more looks the first two games. Unless KK or Key steps up and decides to play hard all game they’re splitting minutes and probably starting duties most of the year. That 5 starting spot is still very much up for grabs.

Last edited:
My observation last night is one I've observed in many similar games. Smaller light-weight player get the benefit when dribble-driving ,as well as on defense, if for no other reason when physical contact happens against a larger player they are moved. And to the credit of the ET players that is their game.

And the humorous call of the night was the hand check foul against Davis, if one watches the whole game and sees how the overall game was called.

I just can’t believe how the refs have it in for Tennessee. Is it something they did to get this unfair referring?

All sarcasm aside, I think it does a disservice to the players to complain about the refs.

Refs are the singlemost perplexing part of the game.
inconsistent, entitled, arrogant and always right.
One of the most vital jobs of a coach is to properly work the refs.

Coaches have many facets to coaching during a game; players, bench, managing the game, timeouts etc and working refs is just as important as any of them.

CHW killed our program's growth by recruiting high caliber talent and then not improving them and extending their game. But she also left a dagger in our credibility with refs with her defensive body language and raised hands and "I'm hurt" looks and not working them properly.

Refs respect a coach who can make them do their job better without a bunch of theatrics.
"Hey Mr ref, can you watch 21 on the clearing out with her elbow,,,thank you"
"Hey Mr ref, 15 is holding my post"
"That was a good call"
They love to be worked and worked with respect"
they as well respect a coach who understand that they can make mistakes and doesn't jump up and down when they do so....Unless they begin to make mistakes consistently

This is the one part of the game that most of the general public will never see, hear or understand.
I've lived it,,,in every level of basketball and I will tell you, you have to properly work the refs or they will run all over you.

Have you ever seen a "block" called when the defender was absolutely set and stationary because they fell awkwardly...and then the very same thing happens and the defender butt-slides across the floor and the defense gets the call...refs respect and reward technique and skill!

This is no different in coaching...refs dismiss the arguments of a screamer and hear the arguments of a respectful, yet firm, talker. And if the coach is working the refs properly and the calls still stay one-sided...look for the coach to use their first technical to get the refs attention.

If a team is not getting calls look to the coaching. (and in our case, prior coaching).
Not to the players.
The only way a player can influence a ref is by being a good ambassador for the program.

Agreed. The turnovers hurt. Coach was honest about that in the post game. I like her post game talks. She actually analyzes how her team played and offers solutions. She can see the same problems we do which I’m thankful for. Holly was always throwing her hands up and saying, “I don’t know.” I like all the micd up practice videos as well, seems they are trying to include the fans again. Seemed like the Holly camp was always trying to restrict any information about the program, practice or problems.

I’m guessing we will not see Saunders at all against WVU and Texas. Likely limited Rennie and McCoy. Jessie’s defense is actually better than it looks after re-watching the games. She’s scrappy and gets her hands on a lot of passes. Her foot speed in transition still needs help, gotta get her in the weight room.

If McCoy plays more than 10 minutes we will have a hard time beating WV. We lose way too much on offense when she’s in. I noticed she’s out of position a lot as well. She accidentally takes her defender right to the player trying to make a play. Her game just isn’t at this level unfortunately. Sad because she has good size. The game just moves too fast for her at this level.

We won’t see Marta playing the point for certain. We could have pushed the lead out in the 4th last night if not for that experiment. We had a bunch of TOs in that last quarter alone.

I’m thinking either KK or Key starts against WVU with Green at the 4 and Marta coming off the bench. Personal preference but I like freshman coming off the bench the first half of the season anyway. No matter how talented.

My guess at starting line up against WVU

Walker-Burrell-Davis-Green-KK/Key

I think pretty quickly we will see that evolve to Walker-Horston-Burrell-Davis and KK/Key. JH and Burrell are basically interchangeable at the 2-3 based on the first two games. Marta, Salary, Green KK/Key and Darby will provide us with a lot of depth. Green’s leadership might keep her in the starting lineup. I can see Rennie getting some minutes at the end of quarters. Her defense isn’t too bad and we can run some situational offense and get her a couple looks at the 3. Wish she’d have had more looks the first two games. Unless KK or Key steps up and decides to play hard all game they’re splitting minutes and probably starting duties most of the year. That 5 starting spot is still very much up for grabs.
I think Emily starts against WV.

Reactions: NoBackBoard
A consistent perimeter shooter would be a big piece of the puzzle that needs to be solved.
I do agree with what the team needs. However (of course I have an however), it’s not fair to Tess to think she could be that piece of the puzzle.

Her HS shooting stats are very good, 44% on threes her senior season. But her abilities need to be put in perspective.

From the Tennessee web site:
  • No. 86 overall player by Blue Star Media.
  • No. 144 overall player, No. 33 guard, four-star recruit by ProspectsNation.com.
  • No. 29 guard, three-star prospect by espnW HoopGurlz.
espnW doesnt have her in their top 100 And has a 90 rating.

Yes, some players outplay their low rankings, but hardly ever in their freshman season. I really hope she gets healthy and can prove me wrong, but to expect her to be the Lady Vols outside threat is unfair to Ms. Darby.

As far as being a consistent perimeter shooter, can Tess defend better than Rennie? Is she faster than Rennie? Remember Kourtney Dunbar?

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
I think we played really badly against ETSU overall but still I think it is safe to say that ETSU got some help from the Refs especially the allowed inside hacking that goes on in these games. I wish Tennessee would try a little more inside hacking but doubt it would work when Rennia get a touch foul and also is called for a charge on a player moving into her path to the basket. WCB is the only basketball in America where you can get a moving charge. It is a block everywhere else. Really gets tiring to watch still it is called a lot so guess they think it is a WCB rule that you can run into a driving player and get a charge called. I've always thought that Women's basketball had the worst officiating in all basketball and nothing I've seen this season changes that opinion.

As far as being a consistent perimeter shooter, can Tess defend better than Rennie? Is she faster than Rennie? Remember Kourtney Dunbar?
Having seen her play multiple times I think she is much quicker than Rennie and much better defensive player than Rennie. She not only was a terrific three point shooter she also averaged 8 rebounds and 3 steals a game. She knows how to get in the passing lanes great anticipation and has a terrific handle. To bad about the injury definitely won't see her against West Virginia or Texas hopefully in the next home stand. I thought I posted a game or two she played in high school on this site evidently a lot of people didn't see them.

Reactions: mcannon1
I do agree with what the team needs. However (of course I have an however), it’s not fair to Tess to think she could be that piece of the puzzle.

Her HS shooting stats are very good, 44% on threes her senior season. But her abilities need to be put in perspective.

From the Tennessee web site:
  • No. 86 overall player by Blue Star Media.
  • No. 144 overall player, No. 33 guard, four-star recruit by ProspectsNation.com.
  • No. 29 guard, three-star prospect by espnW HoopGurlz.
espnW doesnt have her in their top 100 And has a 90 rating.

Yes, some players outplay their low rankings, but hardly ever in their freshman season. I really hope she gets healthy and can prove me wrong, but to expect her to be the Lady Vols outside threat is unfair to Ms. Darby.
Tess Darby and Dara Mabrey had very similar rankings coming out of high school and Dara Mabrey outplayed her ranking in her freshmen season.....
she averaged 11.2 points per game, shooting the ball at a .442 clip and was third in the nation in 3-point field goal percentage (.462)

dara-mabrey

Tess Darby and Dara Mabrey had very similar rankings coming out of high school and Dara Mabrey outplayed her ranking in her freshmen season.....
she averaged 11.2 points per game, shooting the ball at a .442 clip and was third in the nation in 3-point field goal percentage (.462)

dara-mabrey
Yes, like I said, it’s rare that this happens with those rankings, although Prospects Nation had Dara at 49.

I’d list the many players that didn’t outperform their rankings, but it’s too long.

Yes, like I said, it’s rare that this happens with those rankings, although Prospects Nation had Dara at 49.

I’d list the many players that didn’t outperform their rankings, but it’s too long.
Tennessee definitely has and had some players that under performed their rankings won't list any name but will narrow it down to some on the team right now have not lived up to their hoopgurlz ranking. Still time for some to do it and for other never going to happen.

I think Tess could give us ten productive minutes or more than some of the players that are getting them now are giving. I have to think that a lot of experimenting going on in games we thought were sure wins to see some players in different roles and different combinations. Hopefully were not seeing that Sunday will be hard enough to win playing the right lineups and likely impossible with the rotations and substitutions we saw in either of the first two games.

I think Tess could give us ten productive minutes or more than some of the players that are getting them now are giving. I have to think that a lot of experimenting going on in games we thought were sure wins to see some players in different roles and different combinations. Hopefully were not seeing that Sunday will be hard enough to win playing the right lineups and likely impossible with the rotations and substitutions we saw in either of the first two games.
Big difference between a productive 10 minutes and being a big piece of the puzzle.

I just want her healthy.

VN Store

Back