Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. #22/25 ARKANSAS

Jaiden is a tough player, and I’m really looking forward to seeing her next year. I suspect she’s going to be fierce.

Like someone else said, I’d really love to see Kellie sign a JUCO point guard with quickness and good handles.

In the world of soccer coaching, you often hear coaches railing against a player for mentally "checking out" momentarily. The LVs struggle with this. In last nights game, late when the LVs had clawed back to around a 4 pt gap and had momentum, Jordan misses a lay up, the team does not get back defensively, and Ark. makes a lay-up and then on the in bounds pass, Lou checks out and makes a lazy in bound pass with an Arkansas defender waiting. After stealing the ball, she kicks out to Ramirez for a 3. On that series we had 7 point swing in the game, they began and ended with mental lapses.

That play is just one series, you could throw film and find a dozen other game turning moments that arose because LVs were checked out mentally.

On the quickness thing, I do think our bigger guards are at a disadvantage in the open floor when facing smaller guards who have bio-mechanically quicker first steps. If anyone remembers Shekinna Stricklen (a great LV guard), this defensive problem dogged her over the course of her career.

What that means is that bigger guards have to work harder and be tuned into the nuances of positioning and this team is learning how play a different style off offense along with upping their defensive intensity in general. All that creates fatigue both physically and mentally and you see these kind of mistakes.

I am not writing this point as an excuse. Mental breakdowns just are not acceptable at this level and this stage of the season but we can gnash teeth and curse at the wind all day long, this problem is not one to change over night. This team needs to get fitter both mentally and physically.
I remember Stricklen but wasn't she playing outside her true position. Force to play point guard by CPS or the so-call committee. Also can you please tell me what offense they're learning?

Like someone else said, I’d really love to see Kellie sign a JUCO point guard with quickness and good handles.
Was Jordan signed specifically as a PG? I'd be curious if she wants or was promised a shot at PG. I wonder if she's happy with playing 2. If she does want to play PG, what would picking up a JUCO say to her? Giving up on her already? And what about Jaz? Maybe she goes back to the bench as back up or maybe the idea is the JUCO provides the depth, which we could definitely use.

Best case scenario Jordan finds her game this summer, Jaz continues to improve, we get a quickster fm JUCO the 3 challenge each other in practice and the best player wins the spot.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Agree, but I will give KJH credit for switching to a small line-up. It is sad to say but I think she is realized that KK is not the answer and has been given more minutes to Jaiden (who I underestimated early in the season).

And it only took her until game 26 to realize this. It's not like Key's soft play was any new revelation in this game...

And it only took her until game 26 to realize this. It's not like Key's soft play was any new revelation in this game...

Owing to injuries, Jaiden was very slow to get going. And, Kellie had tried to use Kamara more in that role earlier in the season. Kam looked decent in the early season games but as the comp. has ramped up, her limitations have become more glaring.

Unfortunately, you play the game with the team you have, not the team you want.

It wouldn't be the first time an opposing fan posed as a LV fan just so they can trash the program.
I think it's a fan who doesn't know anything about basketball and only says Crap like that because they think it makes them look good! What a joke they are!!!

Owing to injuries, Jaiden was very slow to get going. And, Kellie had tried to use Kamara more in that role earlier in the season. Kam looked decent in the early season games but as the comp. has ramped up, her limitations have become more glaring.

Unfortunately, you play the game with the team you have, not the team you want.

Jaiden has been active and seeing consistent minutes throughout the conference season but ok. It's not like her performance this game was a revelation either...

Reactions: djtee
What you suffered through was a good Coach in his third year with great guard play and a Coach in first year with program with limited roster and fixing problems from the past and will take time. Have Faith it will happen one day.
Since when is having four McDonald All-Americans a "limited roster"?

Since when is having four McDonald All-Americans a "limited roster"?
it is very limited. Our best player is not playing in Green. KK Is a complete bust not all AA live up to billing. Davis playing well but Green was our on court leader davis is not. Jazz is good but not AA we had hoped and Jordan flashes incredible Athletic ability but is in her head so much. There our you AA on team. key was not AA because she still has so much to learn on the offensive end. Experience is huge on all levels of Basketball and we dont have that edge at all.

If you think Rae is a non-shooting statue you have not been paying attention.
The best player is Davis, Rae doesn't show up every game. The only player that shows up every night is Davis, in my opinion that is a talent issue. Right or wrong the team is not very good.

What I don’t like is that we seem to never get the 50/50 or any loose balls where our competition dives to the floor or just take it out of our hands. Not sure if we are just slow to react, get lazy, tired or all of these. I hope these ladies can identify a leader that wants the ball like a Candace Parker and develop some more intensity and a lot more spunk.

VN Store

Back