Game Thread: LADY VOLS VS. #22/25 ARKANSAS

If you watch the game again, and watch it for "quickness" play, you'll see why we are losing games like this. It's not (for the most part) for lack of effort that we usually lose out on loose-ball opportunities and long rebound opportunities. It's a near total lack of quickness. Only Rae Burrell has true quickness, and that is why she is the only player able to go over the screens.

Lack. Of. Quickness.

That's our bugaboo. And think about it. Even Rennia looks like she's in slow motion when she makes her moves. She's obviously a great player and finds a way to score most of the time, but she is NOT quick. Same with Jordan. Jaz? Not quick.

The Lady Vols won't compete for championships again until the roster has some quickness to match up with other top programs. IMO, the current losing streak has nothing to do with coaching and everything to do with being too slow, top to bottom. Period. Just watch these last games with your eye totally on "quickness" (or lack of it) and you'll see.

I hate it for the team because they really are trying their best, but when it comes to those "hustle plays" that could either start or stop momentum, the Lady Vols lose those nearly every time. But not for lack of trying. They just get beat to the ball because they are slower!

1) This team with height inside is weak. With the height advantage missing way to many close in shots. Our bigs are not getting the job done and are not in shape.

2) Discussed so many times are turnovers. This is fixable. Passes are telegraphed and lazy. Plus our girls are not coming to the ball they are waiting on it to come to them. They should be demanded it and claiming it. The passing and movement is just not there.

3) Yes there are problems with officiating but I think it hurts us because we are not playing aggressive basketball. It is almost like they take the inside look for granted and it is an accumulation of unforced errors because they are sloppy with their passes.

4) Bigs on offense are slow and to me it is a reflection of their conditioning.

5) I still wonder why CKH has not dropped the hammer on this group yet, and maybe she is waiting to do so next year. It is better than CHW, but these players are not close to their potential of which they can compete.

6) This team is painful to watch because of their effort, but will continue to watch them because they are TENNESSEE and time tells me that CKH will get them back to the top.

If quickness is that much of a problem, it won’t be fixed next year. We signed two more big guards. That’s it.

I am hopeful we pick up a grad transfer guard or a great JUCO guard. Having Zaay back will help a lot as she is probably our most naturally quick player. We could really use a great, quick player off the bench though. A defensive minded player would be fine as I think we will have good scoring returning. We really need someone who can guard on the perimeter and keep smaller, quick players in front of them.

I get bummed when we lose, but when you look at the big picture we really are much better off than last year. We lost games last year because we had some players who did not care, and they had checked out of the program. This season we are losing games because we don’t have the right personnel. I see and feel the effort that was missing last year though. If that team had played this hard they could have been an Elite 8 caliber team. They consistently played down to opponents though.

I admit, there are some repetitive errors, like the turnovers, that are frustrating. At this point we have to deal though, clearly they’ve worked on it until coach was blue in the face. She doesn’t have any other players to stick out there though. We lost over half of our total scoring from last season and have still been a better team with far less in the cupboard.

I have faith things will improve a ton next season. Always possible I end up being the fool again, Holly fooled me for 3 seasons, but I want to have a positive outlook.

Last edited:
agree about the quickness but there's also slow mental reactions to loose balls.
I didn't want to come right out and say it but, yes, the lack of quickness isn't just physical. I've been saying for a while now that our reaction times are much, much slower than other teams we've faced. I've also been saying that I'm not sure that type of thing can be coached.

Know what I'm saying, without saying? :oops:
Yes, that they're dumb but I totally disagree. I do believe some of the quickness issue is mental, but not b/c our players are slow to process that the ball is rolling loose. Instead its that we play with a very tenative, overthinking, underconfident mindset which effects reaction time. We almost never just play balls to the wall except Rae, in a frequently bad way. Now that turnover is our middle name, the tendency is to be almost too careful leading to telegraphing and indecision.

We've said many times, coaching speed of the game and mindset in young players is one of the toughest things a coach has to do. I know to some extent quicks and reaction time are inate traits that can't be coached. But I do think some of our current players could be made better in this area.

Yes, that they're dumb but I totally disagree. I do believe some of the quickness issue is mental, but not b/c our players are slow to process that the ball is rolling loose. Instead its that we play with a very tenative, overthinking, underconfident mindset which effects reaction time. We almost never just play balls to the wall except Rae, in a frequently bad way. Now that turnover is our middle name, the tendency is to be almost too careful leading to telegraphing and indecision.

We've said many times, coaching speed of the game and mindset in young players is one of the toughest things a coach has to do. I know to some extent quicks and reaction time are inate traits that can't be coached. But I do think some of our current players could be made better in this area.

I hope and pray you’re right, glv98. It’s heartbreaking to me to see them struggling sometimes because I have not one iota of doubt that anyone on the team or staff wants anything more than to succeed for each other, the program... and even the fans.

Not dumb, but not instinctive, either.

But maybe you're right that some of it is being tentative, although I don't know why that would keep players from going after rebounds or loose balls. It certainly hasn't seemed to inhibit us when it comes to fouling three-point shooters.

Reactions: lvocd

In the world of soccer coaching, you often hear coaches railing against a player for mentally "checking out" momentarily. The LVs struggle with this. In last nights game, late when the LVs had clawed back to around a 4 pt gap and had momentum, Jordan misses a lay up, the team does not get back defensively, and Ark. makes a lay-up and then on the in bounds pass, Lou checks out and makes a lazy in bound pass with an Arkansas defender waiting. After stealing the ball, she kicks out to Ramirez for a 3. On that series we had 7 point swing in the game, they began and ended with mental lapses.

That play is just one series, you could throw film and find a dozen other game turning moments that arose because LVs were checked out mentally.

On the quickness thing, I do think our bigger guards are at a disadvantage in the open floor when facing smaller guards who have bio-mechanically quicker first steps. If anyone remembers Shekinna Stricklen (a great LV guard), this defensive problem dogged her over the course of her career.

What that means is that bigger guards have to work harder and be tuned into the nuances of positioning and this team is learning how play a different style off offense along with upping their defensive intensity in general. All that creates fatigue both physically and mentally and you see these kind of mistakes.

I am not writing this point as an excuse. Mental breakdowns just are not acceptable at this level and this stage of the season but we can gnash teeth and curse at the wind all day long, this problem is not one to change over night. This team needs to get fitter both mentally and physically.

Last edited:
I am hopeful we pick up a grad transfer guard or a great JUCO guard. Having Zaay back will help a lot as she is probably our most naturally quick player. We could really use a great, quick player off the bench though. A defensive minded player would be fine as I think we will have good scoring returning. We really need someone who can guard on the perimeter and keep smaller, quick players in front of them.

I get bummed when we lose, but when you look at the big picture we really are much better off than last year. We lost games last year because we had some players who did not care, and they had checked out of the program. This season we are losing games because we don’t have the right personnel. I see and feel the effort that was missing last year though. If that team had played this hard they could have been an Elite 8 caliber team. They consistently played down to opponents though.

I admit, there are some repetitive errors, like the turnovers, that are frustrating. At this point we have to deal though, clearly they’ve worked on it until coach was blue in the face. She doesn’t have any other players to stick out there though. We lost over half of our total scoring from last season and have still been a better team with far less in the cupboard.

I have faith things will improve a ton next season. Always possible I ended up being the fool again, Holly fooled me for 3 seasons, but I want to have a positive outlook.
Good post. We did lose alot of scoring through transfer and graduation. And then Zaye gets hurt whom I believe she was going to be our overall best player and leader on the court. We our making to many unforced errors but yet only the SC game we had no chance at winning. All others we were there. So maybe it is a testament to Coach that through all the errors we have had a chance to win all our games except Stanford SC Uconn.

In the world of soccer coaching, you often hear coaches railing against a player for checking out momentarily. The LVs struggle with this. In last nights game, late when the LVs had clawed back to around a 4 pt gap and had momentum, Jordan misses a lay up, the team does not get back defensively, and Ark. makes a lay-up and then on the in bounds pass, Lou checks out and makes a lazy in bound pass with an Arkansas defender waiting. After stealing the ball, she kicks out to Ramirez for a 3. On that series we had 7 point swing in the game, they began and ended with mental lapses.

That play is just one series, you could throw film and find a dozen other game turning moments that arose because LVs were checked out mentally.

On the quickness thing, I do think our bigger guards are at a disadvantage in the open floor when facing smaller guards who have bio-mechanically quicker first steps. If anyone remembers Shekinna Stricklen (a great LV guard), this defensive problem dogged her over the course of her career.

What that means is that bigger guards have to work harder and be tuned into the nuances of positioning and this team is learning how play a different style off offense along with upping their defensive intensity in general. All that creates fatigue both physically and mentally and you see these kind of mistakes.

I am not writing this point as an excuse. Mental breakdowns just are not acceptable at this level and this stage of the season but we can gnash teeth and curse at the wind all day long, this problem is not one to change over night. This team needs to get fitter both mentally and physically.
Excellent post. A lot of info for thought.

What I suffered through last night was two programs headed in opposite directions.
What you suffered through was a good Coach in his third year with great guard play and a Coach in first year with program with limited roster and fixing problems from the past and will take time. Have Faith it will happen one day.

I think Coach J might be trying to quickly throw something in while at work. But my question is why are you here and why does a troll like you feel entitled to criticize Lady Vol fans on our own board? No one would miss you if you left.

THIS. ^^^. Don't forget to add that his avatar is completely inappropriate and offensive.

Plenty of blame to go around. Jaz has been off, Rennia has 4 t.o.s at halftime. But Jordan did make 3, all unforced, in 7 mins of play.

A couple of bogus offensive foul calls count as turnovers also.

Actually, I thought our other Achilles Heel, lack of quickness on defense hurt almost as much. Their screens killed us and their shooter was spot on. Maybe she'll cool off.

However, when KJH went to a guard oriented team, we were able to somewhat overcome ARKANSAS’s speed. This is a work in progress. I just hope we can finish the season strong and receive an NCAA invite to the big dance. That will be quite an accomplishment for the team and “IF” they can win one or two games, at this point, I consider that a success and something to build on for next year.

Rooster doesn't have an active board to post in. Someone said recently that Cockytalk is dead. What a shame if true. A program that leads the nation in attendance should be able to keep a message board alive so that its fans have a place to talk hoops without having to go to rival boards to poke fun at their team. :confused:

Arkansas scored 83 points. That’s a lot, of course; however (I think) we played mid-to-upper-sixties defensively, and then literally gifted them a dozen or so. And, there were the added-on free throws; so yeah, a hot shooting, opportunistic Arkansas team got us for 83. And, we almost beat them. In Arkansas. I know - moral still starts with an “L,” but I remain very optimistic - about this staff and administration, and about the mid-to-long-term outlook for the team.
The immediate future is still anybody’s guess. It could be a 2-and-1 finish, with hopefully a win or two in the SEC Tournament. From there?
A quick word about big guards, little guards: Arkansas has quick guards who could shoot. We have taller, longer guards who, on their best defensive day, not any one of the Arkansas guards would have a prayer of defending. We were driving past them, throwing and shooting over them ...well, except for when we were throwing the ball directly to them. We still have a turnover problem. And, while we could surely use a “quicker” guard or two, when (not IF) we gain better ball security, the advantage shifts strongly in our favor.
Cheers.

Thanks VolNation,,,

You people, are why, The team will get past this hurdle
bc
We want our program to stay relevant,
we expect it
and we will see it happen

Keep your chin up Coach K !!!

Reactions: krichunaka
Know what I'm saying, without saying? :oops:

So they suck because the roster is mentally challenged? Another brilliant hot take...

ScentedViciousDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: glv98
Welcome back coach....
About damn time......
You have just as much right to post on this board as anyone....
Don't forget it again!
LikableUnevenAllosaurus-size_restricted.gif

It does appear that Kellie had fallen into the same old trap that Holly was famous for., getting the ball to the bigs, no matter what...It sounds logical until you see how many times our bigs missed the shot, or couldn't catch the ball to make the miss...

When she went with the smaller lineup, and the girls started shooting the damn ball like they grew up doing, it became a game again, instead of a turnover fiesta......Rennie finally got to make a few 3's, which is always a good thing....

Key, is not who we wish she was (yet)....She can't be the focal point of the attack, it won't work....She is not ready physically, or emotionally, to be the go to player....

Rennie for 3, instead of another miss from the post...
1572165052_jessie-rennie_gs_t400_h927b74cbac7e8ad086f32074ab23fbf172218987.jpg

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
So they suck because the roster is mentally challenged? Another brilliant hot take...

ScentedViciousDevilfish-size_restricted.gif

Actually, the Gump mindset is great for an athlete. He was always totally focused and fully committed to whatever he was doing.
Forrest never lost focus except for the one time when he drank too much soda at the White house.

Posters under 30 (if there are any on this board) probably will probably have no idea what this reference is about.....

Last edited:
It does appear that Kellie had fallen into the same old trap that Holly was famous for., getting the ball to the bigs, no matter what...It sounds logical until you see how many times our bigs missed the shot, or couldn't catch the ball to make the miss...

When she went with the smaller lineup, and the girls started shooting the damn ball like they grew up doing, it became a game again, instead of a turnover fiesta......Rennie finally got to make a few 3's, which is always a good thing....

Key, is not who we wish she was (yet)....She can't be the focal point of the attack, it won't work....She is not ready physically, or emotionally to be the go to player....

Rennie for 3, instead of another miss from the post...
1572165052_jessie-rennie_gs_t400_h927b74cbac7e8ad086f32074ab23fbf172218987.jpg

Agree, but I will give KJH credit for switching to a small line-up. It is sad to say but I think she is realized that KK is not the answer and has been given more minutes to Jaiden (who I underestimated early in the season).

Rennie coming in and hitting those threes was a really nice plus and development.

It does appear that Kellie had fallen into the same old trap that Holly was famous for., getting the ball to the bigs, no matter what...
Except she didn't do that. Like the rest of your post says, she switched it up to 4 guard line up when it was apparent Key wasn't getting it done. Logical to start with that game plan b/c of our big height advantage but KJH adapted.
Agree, but I will give KJH credit for switching to a small line-up. It is sad to say but I think she is realized that KK is not the answer and has been given more minutes to Jaiden (who I underestimated early in the season).

Rennie coming in and hitting those threes was a really nice plus and development.
I give KJH credit for being willing to try different things too. Why would she not, with so many holes to fill? Lord knows she's tried different players (except poor Emily, we hardly know ye), she's tried Rae off the bench, Jordan off the bench. At this point I think she's just being situational. Rennie's hot, use her. Need banging and some fouls to give, maybe KK gets a few mins. Need abandon and energy, put in Jaiden. KJH will need to be pretty creative to patch things together from here on in.

Posting on a telephone and with voice text often makes mistakes. I am fighting hard to not be the aggressive poster that I have been in the past. But I am still the . And I'm still quite capable of verbally taking you apart. am and I'm still the man I am. Don't mistake my trying to change my life for being weak. You've got several Avenues in which I could take you to the cleaners. Gamecock for instance. You're very name rings of a male's anatomy. And that thing between your eyes. You know that pecking thing. I'd be mad too if I had one between my eyes. You want me to keep going. Of course you do. Punks like you barking behind the fence at the bigger dog on the other side. Pathetic. Pathetic little punk.... I teach my girls there is a time to fight. And letting some punk like you insult me to the point where I don't defend myself borders on just such and opportunity. Now go stand in front of the mirror, rooster, and look at that thing between your eyes. And imagine what is should be used for. And then go to the to the commode and take a leak through it. ... and if I have made any grammatical errors and the above rant. Get over it. You piece of dung
Dang, he done went ghetto on Rooster.

VN Store

Back