Game Thread: Lady Vols v UCONN; Thurs. 8PM; on ESPN

You will never, ever hear Rick Barnes say he was “proud of our fight” after losing by 17 points. A microcosm of the difference between a team chasing a 1 seed and one who will end up on the bubble. You get what you tolerate.

I couldn't agree more. It shows that Harper is not tough enough or demanding enough--and our play against good teams reflects that.

I don’t care what happens when those teams play
Understand. But know that Uconn has an SEC matchup coming that won’t be so easy on them. I don’t predict anything, esp up in Conn, but I think the SEC has a team in SC that will flip the script on the Huskies when they play up there. Would hate for Uconn to win that game but again, I’m not predicting any outcome because they shoot so well. Staley has shown she can coach with Geno in big games, I expect SC to find a way.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
Okay, this game has a simple breakdown. Uconn blitzed us in the first quarter, the LVs returned the favor in the 2nd and it was a one possession game a few minutes into the 3rd (at that point we are pretty much even steven with each team having a big run). Overall, Tennessee dominated the glass 21 to 9 on OREBs and 40 to 30 overall. The LVs forced 16 TOs and were agonizingly close to several others. But Uconn shot 55% and 57% from behind the line. In contrast, the LVs were 39 and 35%. Possession after possession the LVs were missing an open shot whereas Uconn made their shots.

When Tennessee shots above 45% they are tough to beat but when they don't losses like this are what happens. They are right now an okay defensive not a lock down team and so they have to score. I didn't care that much about this game but hopefully, they have some of the bricks out their system and make such when it counts against LSU.

Amihere will close the door on that one…Beal will get her some also. SC has recruited so well and so deep they have excellent options at all spots on the floor, and those options are elite athletically, no slow or non agile types. SC cannot shoot like Uconn, not by any stretch, but they can defend and rebound better and they are waaaay deeper in top end talent.

One thing I hope our staff emphasizes is taking the open jumper rather than taking that extra dribble or two. Conn did the former except when a layup was available. Maybe we were trying too hard to draw 4th and 5th fouls on Grffin and Senechal.

We have a tendency to lose the handle, get thr ball stripped or tied up, or get called for traveling or a charge when we could have squared up or pulled up for an open jump shot. That seemed to happen a lot tonight; meanwhile, Lopez Senechal was playing catch-and-shoot all night.

Movement, cutting, and spacing along with setting good screens and picks are a must in order for us to improve. And we have to knock down open shots, especially mid-range and outside to open up the lane. And on defense, we've got to quit losing our players.

Seeing Auriemma lose his mind and show his rear to a national tv audience eased the disappointment, but I sorta got over conn a while ago. They're just another team now. Already looking forward to Monday's game. Thankful no players from either team were hurt.

One thing I hope our staff emphasizes is taking the open jumper rather than taking that extra dribble or two. Conn did the former except when a layup was available. Maybe we were trying too hard to draw 4th and 5th fouls on Grffin and Senechal.

We have a tendency to lose the handle, get thr ball stripped or tied up, or get called for traveling or a charge when we could have squared up or pulled up for an open jump shot. That seemed to happen a lot tonight; meanwhile, Lopez Senechal was playing catch-and-shoot all night.

Movement, cutting, and spacing along with setting good screens and picks are a must in order for us to improve. And we have to knock down open shots, especially mid-range and outside to open up the lane. And on defense, we've got to quit losing our players.

Seeing Auriemma lose his mind and show his rear to a national tv audience eased the disappointment, but I sorta got over conn a while ago. They're just another team now. Already looking forward to Monday's game. Thankful no players from either team were hurt.

A team that is just not confident in their collective shot. You are exactly right, they often pass up the open jumper to drive into traffic. That has worked for Rickea but against higher level comp, you see a lot of strips and blocks. She has to take (and make) that mid range.

Creek, gotta believe this game has given UT some experience that will help vs LSU…wishing the best for the LV’s in that game….@Baton Rouge (red stick) is a tough venue for any team this year, but the comeback tonight showed some team growth and who the hell knows, let’s hope you guys find a way to win. Tigers have not faced many good teams yet this year, and Ark nearly beat them on their home court a week ago….Uconn was a way worse matchup from the start with Key out, UT can matchup better in this game, no true 5 on that LSU squad, just 1 great 4 and a decent other 4. GL to your team Creek. Will be watching and pulling for your ladies.

Last edited:
I think when Uconn plays SC, especially since it is in Conn, it will be close, for 3 qtrs at least, Uconn could win, they shoot so well, but I have to think SC has the quality depth to win that game.
The issue with UCONN is while they can get hot from 3 to say competitive, they will absolutely get obliterated on the boards. Edwards is nice and all but Dorka/Edwards vs the posts of SC won't be remotely competitive on the boards.

Okay, this game has a simple breakdown. Uconn blitzed us in the first quarter, the LVs returned the favor in the 2nd and it was a one possession game a few minutes into the 3rd (at that point we are pretty much even steven with each team having a big run). Overall, Tennessee dominated the glass 21 to 9 on OREBs and 40 to 30 overall. The LVs forced 16 TOs and were agonizingly close to several others. But Uconn shot 55% and 57% from behind the line. In contrast, the LVs were 39 and 35%. Possession after possession the LVs were missing an open shot whereas Uconn made their shots.

When Tennessee shots above 45% they are tough to beat but when they don't losses like this are what happens. They are right now an okay defensive not a lock down team and so they have to score. I didn't care that much about this game but hopefully, they have some of the bricks out their system and make such when it counts against LSU.
Good and concise analysis, madtownvol. However, I think the team reflects their coach, Kellie is not tough enough to coach at the elite level. I will take this all back if the LVs win this coming Monday night.

Tonight, for me, was a reminder that the Lady Vols will *never* be elite with Kellie at the helm. It seems being competitive and "being the best team we can be" is enough for her.

Best wishes to the players moving forward.

VN Store

Back