Game Thread: Lady Vols V Carson Newman

To say we need a lot of work would be an understatement. We’re going to have to ride Rennia, Zaay, Rae, and hopefully Horston as far as they can take us. I wonder if Zaay playing the point is the reason she only took 5 shots. I’m guessing Kellie wanted to practice half court defense since we didn’t press them. Pressing has usually helped the score in the past against them.

The posts have a long way to go. Anything that group can give us will go a long way. I hope the new posts will improve as the season progresses. Even with playing a lot of players, we still should be able to run plays effectively against Carson Newman no matter who is in.

Key looked like she needs lots and lots of work....She's tall, but her offensive game (at this point) is weak.

Why go all the way to Australia for poor shooter when there are hundreds in Tennessee High schools better? Why was McCoy signed? Why can't Massengill shoot better free throws. These girls need a lot of shooting and offensive help!!!!!!!!!!! OFFENSIVE EXECUTION WAS HORRIBLE AND THEY LOOKED SLOW AND LOST.

I'm looking at a lineup of Horston, Green, Davis, Burrell, and pick a post player. I don't see how they can keep Burrell out of the starters.
Post is a weak point. Saunders a project, KK serviceable but slow and cannot elevate, Key seems by far the most athletic. In my opinion her minutes will increase as the season progresses.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The transfers seems to be roster fillers . Even the Austrialian gal seemed to be a bit out of her league against a D2 school.

They have a long way to go to be a top 25 team. Still looks like Holly’s coaching.
Why is anyone surprised? To be honest we were playing like this offensively the last couple of years that pat coached. The game was passing her by and most fans were not going to be satisfied unless we hired someone from the tree

Expecting a juggernaut first game out is not realistic. It took 7 years to get to this point. It will take a lot more than 1 exhibition game to return us to national relevance.
As others have stated, Coach KJH should be graded on how we progress through the season. Not on how we played a quarter in the first exhibition game.
I understand the impatience. After underperforming for so long, we have our hope's sky high with a new coach. The reality is we lost a huge amount of talent to graduation and transfers from last year's team. This will be an extended rebuilding process.
Our new coach will have to prove she's up to the task and the fans will have to prove they have the patience to wait for improvement.
Imo, there's a small amount of doubt about the former and a huge amount of doubt about the latter.

They have a long way to go to be a top 25 team. Still looks like Holly’s coaching.
Well I didn't see the game but I have faith
KJH will get things worked out. Maybe next
week the nerve issue will be settled. It's
obvious a lot of you posters know more of
the technical aspects than I do. Just a novice
at basketball terms such as post play but I
am learning.

Reactions: creekdipper
It looks like Harper‘s objective is to become more efficient in the half court offense. The shooters just aren’t there or aren’t delivering yet. Rennie could not provide that tonight, nor Horston or Massengill.
Sure, Warlick outran and overwhelmed CN many times, but by January perennially we were an easy scout—an easy game plan.
The teaching and preparation requires scaffolding when a new ideology is introduced.
And enough have reminded on here that Harper does have her work cut out for her. The pieces aren’t all there yet, but you explore and toil and pursue growth.

Expecting a juggernaut first game out is not realistic. It took 7 years to get to this point. It will take a lot more than 1 exhibition game to return us to national relevance.
As others have stated, Coach KJH should be graded on how we progress through the season. Not on how we played a quarter in the first exhibition game.
I understand the impatience. After underperforming for so long, we have our hope's sky high with a new coach. The reality is we lost a huge amount of talent to graduation and transfers from last year's team. This will be an extended rebuilding process.
Our new coach will have to prove she's up to the task and the fans will have to prove they have the patience to wait for improvement.
Imo, there's a small amount of doubt about the former and a huge amount of doubt about the latter.

I don't mind waiting as long as there is improvement throughout the course of the season.

E
Never once did I see a stare....she needs to bust some chops.....ND & UCONN & Stanford coming up.

They'll have no mercy on us......
It was a pretty rough game but i see what coach was doing. She said in a press conference that she planned to play everyone tonight and I don’t think that’s going to be the case in real situations. Not only that, ND lost their exhibition game, so it seems to be growing season in many programs this year.

E
It was a pretty rough game but i see what coach was doing. She said in a press conference that she planned to play everyone tonight and I don’t think that’s going to be the case in real situations. Not only that, ND lost their exhibition game, so it seems to be growing season in many programs this year.

Fire Muffet NOW!!!

(And get her a comb).

Whillikers, guys, as Kellie's team last year demonstrated after starting out 1-7, it's how you finish that counts.

I’m not the least bit concerned. First of all, Carson-Newman returned two of their league’s top 6 scorers from last year and can light it up.

Second, the way Kellie structured the game — with the intent to create specific teaching points to be studied on film later — there was never, ON PURPOSE, any combination of players on the floor together long enough to get into a rhythm.

Being an exhibition game against an overmatched opponent that doesn’t count in the records, I thought it was great that the staff found a way to manufacture adversity for the players to deal with — like the obvious confusion some were feeling as a result of the frenetic substitution pattern. There was plenty to take away from that game for the coaches to address.

Carson-Newman may very well win their league this year, and that four-guard lineup of good three-point shooters isn’t something Tennessee is likely to face again.

I expect the Lady Vols to have a different look next Thursday, and I can’t wait! Very little about tonight’s event resembled a real game — there weren’t even the usual cool introductions. I guess they wanted to make sure that next Thursday’s record-counting real season opener got the “special” treatment that an instructional practice game does not.

Bottom line: Don’t fret, friends! We’ve all read and heard that Kellie’s mantra to the team is “Trust the process.” We fans need to do the same.

I don't mind waiting as long as there is improvement throughout the course of the season.

Personally, I saw improvement tonight. To gripe about the score in an exhibition game, is to ignore what this game was really about, other than the amount of win. It was for the Coaches to determine the starters, and who played well together. Remember, most of these players have not played together very much.

Anyway, here’s a few things to like.

1. I liked the speed of the game. Remember last year when EW would just stand and dribble while the play clock ran down, and everybody just stood there? None of that tonight. Everyone was working toward a shot at the basket. I like that.

2. Rae has always worked on defense, but now she has become an aggressive scoring threat, a very good one.

3. Lou finally got to play, and looked good.

4. Rennia, Zaay, Rae, and Jordan are athletic and can score, a good start.

5. The teammates looked happy. Coach Kellie said she wanted them to have fun. I think this is a good thing.

It’s early, and our Coach is smart, and a great communicator.

Excited, and confident, and looking forward to a great season. GO LADY VOLS!!!

Last edited:
Personally, I saw improvement tonight. To gripe about the score in an exhibition game, is to ignore what this game was really about, other than the amount of win. It was for the Coaches to determine the starters, and who played well together. Remember, most of these players have not played together very much.

Anyway, here’s a few things to like.

1. I liked the speed of the game. Remember last year when EW would just stand and dribble while the play clock ran down, and everybody just stood there? None of that tonight. Everyone was working toward a shot at the basket. I like that.

2. Rae has always worked on defense, but now she has become an aggressive scoring threat, a very good one.

3. Lou finally got to play, and looked good.

4. Rennia, Zaay, Rae, and Jordan are athletic and can score, a good start.

4. The teammates looked happy. Coach Kellie said she wanted them to have fun. I think this is a good thing.

It’s early, and our Coach is smart, and a great communicator.

Excited, and confident, and looking forward to a great season. GO LADY VOLS!!!

Great post!

Great post!

Thank you. I’m from Chattanooga, too, lived bottom of Lookout Mtn. Family moved to Nashville when I was 10, quite some time ago. In Florida now. I think its great you get to go to the games! Cheer for me while you’re there. 🙂

If anyone wasn't able to watch and wants to.

2019 Tennessee vs Carson Newman EXH

Thanks!

Congrats to C-N for hustle and gritty play. Good job.

Also thanks to them and their staff for helping to highlight our weaknesses and areas that need to be prioritized quickly.

This season is going to be a great test of the staff's ability to develop players and team cohesion. The 40-minute focus on defensive intensity and offensive movement is a must. Those are usually the first things to go as players get tired. Shooters have to knock down the open looks, posts have to finish and develop some moves, and everybody needs to convert layups and free throws.

Last edited:
I thought about giving my assessment on the team, and I actually typed some stuff then deleted it. Bottom line is the program was in disarray, we lost some studs to transfer, and it’s gonna take time to rebuild. Reminds me a lot of the state of our football program. Only time will tell if the Harpers can change the culture that Warlick created. So, I’m gonna take a deep breath, and not expect too much this season. If the Harpers can improve this team, there will be a smile on my face. Volnation, the transformation will not happen overnight. Thoughts and prayers are with the Harpers and staff. They are gonna need it.

VN Store

Back