Game Thread: Lady Vols V Carson Newman

Why is anyone surprised? To be honest we were playing like this offensively the last couple of years that pat coached. The game was passing her by and most fans were not going to be satisfied unless we hired someone from the tree

The last couple of years Pat coached,,, Holly coached!

Leave Pat out of this!

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Sure there is, but first analyze why....

KK when she had to step out on a guard, she jab stepped and immediately backed away.
Once the guards knew her pattern, she was bait..."watch for her to jab-step in and the wait for her to back off (Since she never finished a closeout, all the shooter had to do was be patient).

KK has to work on footwork and mix up her pattern.
She can't do the same thing over and over or a good player will see it and wait for it.

What KK has to do is trust her "help defense and close out fully on the shooter ever so often. I mean !!! close out so close to those tiny shooters that they pass it away in fear. Once they wait for a full closeout, then use the retreat to avoid being driven on.

It is all about foot speed and mixing it up
I agree in theory but in reality "foot speed" is not something KK has.

Ha ! good one ! i know her team traditionally start slow and gain momentum. But remember this is not Missouri State or Missouri Valley Conference we will need a post game to have any shot at winning the SEC or making a deep run in the post season. I just think hiring a post player coach will help the Freshmen and KK get there game up to speed.

I agree and am applying for the job

Reactions: djtee
I agree in theory but in reality "foot speed" is not something KK has.

Everybody has the potential for it, but few know how to teach it

Footspeed is all about technique.
It is called foot-speed because it happens from the knees-down.

From the knees up it is called reaction speed or finishing speed

To teach footspeed you have to teach a player to be able to move their legs below the knees with limited help from the body or upper leg/hips...similar to the footspeed drills taught in football

i agree Key will get better and her minutes will increase as the season progresses. I also wish Kellie would have hired a real post player coach. Because right now they we have one, I know some will disagree but Kellie could have reached out to someone like Nicky Anosike or Michelle Snow.

Oh my. Yes, I definitely disagree that either Nicky Anosike or Michelle Snow would have been better choices to coach posts than Jon Harper.

As much as I admired Nicky and her no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners attitude, I was never a big fan of her post moves. She was too mechanical and tended toward bringing the ball down low after offensive boards instead of catching it high for a more-difficult-to-block putback. Maybe she developed her post skills more in the W -- I don't know. But aside from her aggressive attitude and her ability to get her teammates focused, I wouldn't necessarily want our posts to emulate her college post moves.

As for Snow, what makes you think that she'd be a good coach? I admit that I haven't kept up with her career, but I sure haven't heard anything about her being a great post coach.

What you have to remember is a post doesn't teach itself
or it becomes a fence-post

They have to have a second set of eyes that know what to look for:

On their hook-shot, are the trying to "shoot the release" or are they using a "paper wad into a trash basket" release.
Watch Kareem, he releases his shot like he was tossing a paper wad or throwing darts.

Shaq did the same thing on his hook,,he released it like a dart.
Then he took that technique too far and tried to shoot foul shots with that dart release.
the results were one of the worst foul shots
ever

Game came down offensively to Point Guard position 4 of 18 from the floor. We want be winning much if the point guard position can't give us better efficiency. Post players 6 of 22 was really hard to understand against the small Carson Newman team and has to be considered a real concern for this team. Two guard position was 2 for 9 need more information needed on how this position will contribute for the season not enough shots taken and a few in and outs that could've gone down with better luck. 4 Forward position 7 of 16 McCoy missed some easy shots I really don't see how she can maintain a starting position unless she makes those layups. Three forward 9 of 14 Davis was excellent in this game Burrell came in on fire then started taking some ill advised shots later in the game. As in past seasons the ability for some players to shoot the ball at an efficient level is the biggest concern. I didn't see any improvement out of Massengill as far as shooting the ball. Horston needs to make more effort to finish instead of just throwing up something at the basket. Post and point guard 10 of 40 you could say this is where all the problems were in this game can't get 25 percent out of these two key positions.

I came out of this game thinking we needed Horston and Green at the one and two with Davis and Burrell then pick out a post player of whom I would pick Key. The rebounding in this game wa excellent I didn't see very many second chance shots for Carson Newman. As usual they have players that can make the long three and we sometimes missed getting out on them especially in the third quarter.

I thought the defense was solid gave up 44 this year and 59 last year so we were 15 points better and I think if we had played certain players more Carson Newman doesn't get to thirty. Not much more to take out of this game except you wonder where the offense is gonna come from consistently 70 points on 79 shot attempts is terrible. On that many shots you hope to score 95 at least and 103 would've been terrific efficiency. On to the first game I like the defense looks a lot better than last season expect it will clean up a lot of the few miscommunications we saw last night. Offense concerned because either players can shoot or they can't right now I only see about three players that look dependable shooting the ball.
I am in total agreement with Horston, Zay, Rennia, Rae and Key as our starting 5.

I think Key will get better game to game. Her height & long arms provides more than what Kasi will give us.

Two players that definitely should come off the bench are Kasi and Jasmine.

Especially Jasmine. Not hitting free throws, not attacking the basket & her turnovers will room the LVs. She didn't look or play like a heady point guard. Horston did though.

The thing about the Europe trip that was different even though you couldn't see the games was the team shot so well couple games over 50 and one around 45. The similarity of all the games is better defensive effort and much better rebounding. We want know a lot until the team plays a few games. Right now I am thinking were gonna be a lot better defensively and much better rebounding team. I think we are again gonna struggle with perimeter shooting and post presence that can score. Hopefully if this happens we'll be involved in a lot of low scoring games and we'll come out on top in most of them.

Mixed bag for me last night.... in warmups I thought the outside shooting was way better than last year.... did not translate to game however.... overall I thought flow and teamwork on both ends was pretty good.... fewer big gaps defensively on the handoffs inside and out... but not much height or quickness to deal with... Everyone seemed into the offensive flow, a few quick shots but not too many and seemed to maintain rebounding position when the ball was being worked around up top. McCoy was a pleasant surprise overall, and she and the others with knee histories seemed to move without regard to those issues... I will wait a game or two to get too concerned about shooting woes from the outside.... though I do not expect a fast start on either end of the floor but do look for progression to be consistent, though I have no feel for the ceilings of this squad....either way...

Reactions: Volfan2012
Oh my. Yes, I definitely disagree that either Nicky Anosike or Michelle Snow would have been better choices to coach posts than Jon Harper.

As much as I admired Nicky and her no-nonsense, take-no-prisoners attitude, I was never a big fan of her post moves. She was too mechanical and tended toward bringing the ball down low after offensive boards instead of catching it high for a more-difficult-to-block putback. Maybe she developed her post skills more in the W -- I don't know. But aside from her aggressive attitude and her ability to get her teammates focused, I wouldn't necessarily want our posts to emulate her college post moves.

As for Snow, what makes you think that she'd be a good coach? I admit that I haven't kept up with her career, but I sure haven't heard anything about her being a great post coach.

Nicky was the best low post defender and rebounder ever at Tenn, Yes when she started out she tended toward bringing the ball down low. But that was corrected and she turned out to be a warrior on the low block. Now if you think Jon Harper is a good post player coach then that`s your opinion and i respect that. Remember our post play might be ranked dead last right now in the SEC.

Last edited:
I am in total agreement with Horston, Zay, Rennia, Rae and Key as our starting 5.

I think Key will get better game to game. Her height & long arms provides more than what Kasi will give us.

Two players that definitely should come off the bench are Kasi and Jasmine.

Especially Jasmine. Not hitting free throws, not attacking the basket & her turnovers will room the LVs. She didn't look or play like a heady point guard. Horston did though.

When a good college-level strength and conditioning coach gets a hold of Key...she will be a physical beast to matchup with for opposing coaches. And when a techniques coach gets a hold of that remodeled BB player///look out!

When a good college-level strength and conditioning coach gets a hold of Key...she will be a physical beast to matchup with for opposing coaches. And when a techniques coach gets a hold of that remodeled BB player///look out!

I agree that`s the best lineup

Reactions: T.J.
Everybody has the potential for it, but few know how to teach it

Footspeed is all about technique.
It is called foot-speed because it happens from the knees-down.

From the knees up it is called reaction speed or finishing speed

To teach footspeed you have to teach a player to be able to move their legs below the knees with limited help from the body or upper leg/hips...similar to the footspeed drills taught in football
True, it can be improved upon. But, only to a limited degree. My opinion KK will never be able to close on a three point shooter effectively and if she gets close will be a sitting duck for a quick guard to dribble drive around her to take it to the hole, dish or pull up jumper. Hope I'm wrong. Her seeming inability to get a shot up quickly when the ball comes to her in the low post is also a concern.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
True, it can be improved upon. But, only to a limited degree. My opinion KK will never be able to close on a three point shooter effectively and if she gets close will be a sitting duck for a quick guard to dribble drive around her to take it to the hole, dish or pull up jumper. Hope I'm wrong. Her seeming inability to get a shot up quickly when the ball comes to her in the low post is also a concern.

You beat speed
with anticipation, misdirection or by goading them into making speed their own fault instead of their strength.

I had to instill that knowledge into my player last year
she had speed
and it was often used against her.

I taught her how to use her speed by only using it when it was needed, not, overusing speed simply because she had it

Some interesting comments from the CN head coach:

View attachment 234914
I think this says a lot. He played against Holly's teams as well and he didn't outright say it, but he felt they were better coached this year. Last year they pressed them almost all game and ran the score up, but they didn't really work on anything that would have benefited them in the long run. I haven't had a chance to watch last nights game yet, but I listened to it. I felt they were really trying to work on things and it sounded like they are more cohesive. Seemed like the younger players were very nervous, as expected.

On a side note, I thought Mickey Dearstone sounded like a kicked dog. Half the time he was cheering against us. He needs to go. Kellie must not be making him feel like a special snowflake like Holly.

Last edited:
I think this says a lot. He played against Holly's teams as well and he didn't outright say it, but he felt they were better coached this year. Last year they pressed them almost all game and ran the score up, but they didn't really work on anything that would have benefited them in the long run. I haven't had a chance to watch last nights game yet, but I listened to it. I felt they were really trying to work on things and it sounded like they are more cohesive. Seemed like the younger players were very nervous, as expected.

On a side note, I thought Mickey Dearstone sounded like a kicked dog. Half the time he was cheering against us. He needs to go. Kellie must not be making him feel like a special snowflake like Holly.
A good read. And thanks for the closing comment. 😂

Mickey Dearstone is still pissed off that Holly Warlick was fired and he needs to be forcibly retired

Last edited:
Reactions: VolBall09 and T.J.
The backboard is Key's friend but she'll have to be told that. It's frustrating seeing so many post players with length not take advantage with the backboard.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
The backboard is Key's friend but she'll have to be told that. It's frustrating seeing so many post players with length not take advantage with the backboard.

I`m and big Key fan but you are 100% correct.

Reactions: T.J.
I`m and big Key fan but you are 100% correct.
Thank you. Same goes for Kamera Harris. If she played on the wing with Key at the 5 Tennessee would have a huge advantage. Unfortunately Harris acts like she doesn't know how to play.🤔

VN Store

Back