Game Thread: Lady Vols V Carson Newman

Those were classy comments from Mincey. He undoubtedly appreciates that Tenn didn't try to run up the score just to show off, but the coach in him appreciates that Tenn was using the game as a learning tool by putting the players under a microscope.

Now to see if errors get corrected.

A good read. And thanks for the closing comment. 😂

Gotta say -- I've never enjoyed listening to Dearstone. Much of the time it sounds to me like he's feeling put out that he has to be there.

A big part of me had hoped that with all the sweeping changes within the athletics department, along with the beginning of the Harper Era, that we might be treated to a fresh "voice of the Lady Vols." Oh well.

Reactions: T.J.
Two names come instantly to mind: Daedra Charles and Mary Ostrowski. Cindy Noble was probably better, too. And maybe even Candace Parker.

No way you don't even believe that, Parker will say no one clean the boards on defended like Anosike. We are talking a player 6-4 6-5 also stepping out to check the other teams guards or wing player hmm ! But it`s all good. Note at Missouri State and in the Missouri Valley Conference you will not see the talent on the low block that you will see in the SEC and other major conferences. LSU 6-5 Faustine Aifuwa will be a hand full to deal with. A&m 6-4 Ciera Johnson is a handful i can go on and on. I just think we need to get Key KK up to speed sooner then later. And right now i`m not sure Jon Harper is that coach.

Those were classy comments from Mincey. He undoubtedly appreciates that Tenn didn't try to run up the score just to show off, but the coach in him appreciates that Tenn was using the game as a learning tool by putting the players under a microscope.

Now to see if errors get corrected.

These are his comments before those already posted here. Coach Kellie is “no nonsense”.

On what his take is on Kellie Harper and the Tennessee team:

"I have known Kellie and John for a long time from my days of being an assistant down at ETSU, and they were assistants at Chattanooga. I knew when they hired Kellie, like I have seen her on the recruiting trail, she is no nonsense. She is out there to get a job done. So is John. I think it is a great fit for the university, obviously with her being a former player, and I think this game in particular is a testament to Kellie. Kellie worked on things that they needed to work on.

Good things to hear from an opposing Coach who has known Coach Kellie for years.

Last edited:
No way you don't even believe that, Parker will say no one clean the boards on defended like Anosike. We are talking a player 6-4 6-5 also stepping out to check the other teams guards or wing player hmm ! But it`s all good. Note at Missouri State and in the Missouri Valley Conference you will not see the talent on the low block that you will see in the SEC and other major conferences. LSU 6-5 Faustine Aifuwa will be a hand full to deal with. A&m 6-4 Ciera Johnson is a handful i can go on and on. I just think we need to get Key KK up to speed sooner then later. And right now i`m not sure Jon Harper is that coach.

You really believe that Nicky Anosike was a better post player than Daedra and Mary O.??? o_O

Hey, I fully believe that Key is going to be great for us and am looking forward to watching her develop. I'm just not sure what your justification is to assume that Big Nick could develop her better than Jon, who has actually developed posts into all-conference players. Which players have Nick developed?

Like I've said many, many times on this board and in personal conversations, Nicky Anosike will always be one of my favorite Lady Vols because she was as gritty a player as any Tennessee has ever had. Add her outstanding academic record and she, of course, was the type of player who was awarded NCAA Woman of the Year.

But she still wasn't a better post player than Daedra Charles. Get a grip, man! lol

We have a Coach with a plan.

We've got to have players that we can count on to be consistent and to do the little things, so right now, if you do that for me, you're going to get in the game. Tonight, we knew we were going to play everyone. I had the minutes scripted out prior to the game, so I knew exactly when and who we were going to sub. There were some possessions where I would normally sub, but I wanted to let it play out and keep us as close to that minute track as I could keep us. I also wanted to push some of our players. We got tired a few times. In a normal game it would've ended with a substitution, but I wanted to push them through so I could see what happens when they get a little tired."

I think this says a lot. He played against Holly's teams as well and he didn't outright say it, but he felt they were better coached this year. Last year they pressed them almost all game and ran the score up, but they didn't really work on anything that would have benefited them in the long run. I haven't had a chance to watch last nights game yet, but I listened to it. I felt they were really trying to work on things and it sounded like they are more cohesive. Seemed like the younger players were very nervous, as expected.

On a side note, I thought Mickey Dearstone sounded like a kicked dog. Half the time he was cheering against us. He needs to go. Kellie must not be making him feel like a special snowflake like Holly.
Kellie will answer questions and not allow Dearstone to spoon feed her the answers.

Gotta say -- I've never enjoyed listening to Dearstone. Much of the time it sounds to me like he's feeling put out that he has to be there.

A big part of me had hoped that with all the sweeping changes within the athletics department, along with the beginning of the Harper Era, that we might be treated to a fresh "voice of the Lady Vols." Oh well.
Voice of Vols also. Kissling is awful.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Anyone listening to the post game show just learned that the substitution/rotation was "scripted" before the game in order to get "teaching" material.
Those of you grousing so much might need to recognize that we now have a staff that has a plan!

Jim
It also seems we have a coach who knows how to handle a press conference.

This is a joke right! 10x’s better than the last 5 years!?!?!
I agree 10 times better is a little over the top. I think that a Holly team would have scored more points, and probably have played better defense. Holly, I believe, would have played the game with her best as her starting five. However, I could have cared less about what Holly did or didn't do, this is a new era and it appears KGH was doing a little experimenting. I am glad that while trying to see what she has, she still put up enough points for a W.

Reactions: T.J. and Amb3096
You guys I didn’t see ONE set play besides the 3245 year old horn set that we’re accustomed to. I was VERY disappointed. C-N is a D2 school, there is no way they should have outscored us in ANY quarter....EVER!
Did anyone see the Lubbock Christian VS. Texas exhibition game, In the second half, Lubbock came within 4 points of tying Texas. I believe Texas finally beat them by less than 20 points. While it is true that Texas could have beaten Lubbock Christian by at least 60 points if not for the fact, three of their starters are injured, what it did do was, give Texas a chance to evaluate their younger players and different combinations. Texas had a boat load of 5 stars on the floor, I would not over analyze the CN game.

I see BVS has settled into this forum as well. So many so upset about an EXHIBITION game win. Wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth here and not just on the football forum. At least let them get into the first real game before starting to doubt this coach's ability.

This has been a spirited conversation....It is safe to say most of us were not thrilled with the performance last night....No reason to panic, just there appears to be a lot of room for improvement.....

In time this poor outing will be forgotten, as the Lady Vols play a more cohesive looking game with their chosen 5-7 players, with a few other chosen subs to finish off the clock....(A guy can dream)

In any event, it is nice to see this board alive again.....It is always good to hear coaches ideas of what he would do, or what Kellie could do....I sincerely hope the basketball gods are kind to you and you get that call. Remember, you have to let us know....

This is going to be a fun season, and it is always better with friends like you guys.

We have a Coach with a plan.

We've got to have players that we can count on to be consistent and to do the little things, so right now, if you do that for me, you're going to get in the game. Tonight, we knew we were going to play everyone. I had the minutes scripted out prior to the game, so I knew exactly when and who we were going to sub. There were some possessions where I would normally sub, but I wanted to let it play out and keep us as close to that minute track as I could keep us. I also wanted to push some of our players. We got tired a few times. In a normal game it would've ended with a substitution, but I wanted to push them through so I could see what happens when they get a little tired."

This game was scripted and planned substitution BEFOREHAND!!!!!! Let that sink in...... This coach was coaching before the game started ! The last few years has been a systematic destruction of Basketball principles and just plain old fundamentals fiasco!

There were no passes into the fifth row of the bleachers ! No dribbling until a Hale Mary shot in desperation! Nobody put their head down and tried to run over 2 or 3 defenders. I didn’t have to scream and cuss my television while driving my dog to cower under the bed ! I actually enjoyed watching the game !

can we do better? I think so

Can somebody other than Davis make a three point shot ? I hope so

Can somebody make a one foot shot ? Yet to be determined!

I saw some coaching of players from the bench area and not just a pat on the butt !

As long as we play with fundamentals and sound basketball principles.... I am ok with that.... win or lose ... I am sick and tired of stupid s__t ! There was a comedian that once said : “ You can’t fix stupid.” Well I think Coach Kelly has a pretty good start ! JMO

Last edited:
Two names come instantly to mind: Daedra Charles and Mary Ostrowski. Cindy Noble was probably better, too. And maybe even Candace Parker.

Those are good and accurate choices. Fortunately, the Lady Vols have been blessed to have had several posts players that have been tremendous and memorable post defenders. Anosike had a unique ability to defend on the perimeter as effectively as some guards. Her interior defense was effective too, but I’m glad you tossed in some equally adept players’ names that might be obscure to some posters. Likewise, I’m going to add Dana Johnson, Pashen Thompson, and Sheila Frost. Summitt always “insisted” that our post players take care of business in the paint, and those players definitely delivered too.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
True, it can be improved upon. But, only to a limited degree. My opinion KK will never be able to close on a three point shooter effectively and if she gets close will be a sitting duck for a quick guard to dribble drive around her to take it to the hole, dish or pull up jumper. Hope I'm wrong. Her seeming inability to get a shot up quickly when the ball comes to her in the low post is also a concern.
KK needs to play off the balls of her feet. She is what we used to call a clopper. She runs heel to toe. When she runs, she moves side to side instead of straight moving forward. If she learns how to use the balls of her feet, it will make her quicker and she will be lighter on her feet. She also brings the ball down when it is thrown to her in the post. As a post player, she needs to learn to use her height to her advantage, don't bring the ball down before you shoot and be blocked or have ball stolen from you. CN was much smaller, however, they blocked several of our bigs' shots. She could also use some strength training and become more physical by learning how to use her body to fend off defenders. KJH had some physical ball players at Missouri State, they were not dirty just tough.

Those are good and accurate choices. Fortunately, the Lady Vols have been blessed to have had several posts players that have been tremendous and memorable post defenders. Anosike had a unique ability to defend on the perimeter as effectively as some guards. Her interior defense was effective too, but I’m glad you tossed in some equally adept players’ names that might be obscure to some posters. Likewise, I’m going to add Dana Johnson, Pashen Thompson, and Sheila Frost. Summitt always “insisted” that our post players take care of business in the paint, and those players definitely delivered too.
Anosike was a great rebounder, defender and team leader but she could throw up some bricks from three feet.

Reactions: Putbacks
Ha ! good one ! i know her team traditionally start slow and gain momentum. But remember this is not Missouri State or Missouri Valley Conference we will need a post game to have any shot at winning the SEC or making a deep run in the post season.

And by "traditionally" he means last season, and he only knows that because they mentioned it about 50 times on the broadcast last night. Ask Debbie Yow if her teams got better...

Nicky was the best low post defender and rebounder ever at Tenn, Yes when she started out she tended toward bringing the ball down low. But that was corrected and she turned out to be a warrior on the low block. Now if you think Jon Harper is a good post player coach then that`s your opinion and i respect that. Remember our post play might be ranked dead last right now in the SEC.

Post play might be dead last because they just aren't that good or are inexperienced.

IMO, this is the worst Tennessee team since the pre-Holdsclaw years. No superstar, mediocre guards and no proven posts. Rennia Davis is the closest ti a sure thing on this team and even she has a history of inconsistency.

I'm not surprised that they struggled vs C-N. I think that's less an indictment of Kellie and more the reality of the lack of talent + inexperience on this team. They are a work in progress, but the kind of team that will be better in March than November once the coaches have a chance to develop the players.

Yup, it's just an exhibition game, and it might mean nothing. But...

Last year's team put up 128 points against CN. The year before it was 121. In fact, in the last 14 years the average number of points scored was 110 and the average margin of victory was 58. Lowest point total in that period was 90 in 2014.

But, it's only an exhibition and Kelly gave a lot of minutes to a lot of new players.

Davis looked good, but she'll see every SEC team's top defender and they will all be better than anyone on Carson Newman. Others are going to have to step up. And without a strong inside game the outside shooting will have to get better. A lot better.

Reactions: mcannon1 and olddog

VN Store

Back