Game Thread: Lady Vols host Vandy ; Sunday Jan 21, 3PM; SEC Network ;...Win 73-64

I'm confident that Deer Park knows of what he speaks; <<(just for you, Lucy) and I'm also of your opinion that the brand name product was not a good go-to, especially just before game time. I speak from experience here. Those things knock me out for hours. As a young teen, and pre-teen our now 35-year-old son literally carried his inhaler onto the football practice field; all that sweat and grass! Serious and breathtaking (pun intended) stuff!

I think glv98, you, sir, and others in this group, have personal or even professional experience(s) with allergies, asthma, and related conditions. It sure ain't fun. My most discomforting events were of the West Coast variety. Those of you who have flown into the bay area, Orange County, etc., have doubtless had a bird's eye view of that smokey/smoggy, soupy haze that practically blankets the most-populated parts of that state for extended time periods. Add in the blinding San Joquin Valley Tule Fog, and things can really head south in a hurry, so, I have usually fared better here, than there. Go figure.

Anyhow, there's just so much to consider, and I think CoachJumper hinted at a possible "other" concern. I'm not sure of which "virus" he was speaking, but I hope, as I'm sure he does, that Rickea's is a "normal" case of local allergies/asthma, which is bad enough, but considering the other potential symptoms - micro-clotting or similar constrictions ...well, I trust that our lovely All-American, Rickea, is in good hands, and that the Athletic/Medical departments are giving this top priority.
Madtown, it's nice to read of your children's successful endeavors. Didn't one of them actually get to play in Europe? Did you get to go watch, or were the risks/restrictions too much a hurdle? Here's to continued good blessings!

And, to better health to you VolBall09.

Cheers, to ALL!
Thank you!!!!! My seventh grade English teacher was about 108 when I had him and I’ve been semi-colon challenged ever since!

I think playing w Jordan Walker last year really helped JP as well. Similar mentalities.

In the silver lining category, I think JP has also benefited from Destiny's injury (I know, a terrible thing to say but...). The team had some ambiguity about who was the actual floor general and who would have to be "that player" in clutch time.

It is like rotating starting QBs based on what the defense is showing. It sounds good in theory but in practice, it creates uncertainty.

Now there is no question that Jazz shoulders the main responsibility and the job for Kaiya (and more and more Jewel) is to hold down the fort when she is off the court.

Last edited:
In the silver cloud lining, I think JP has also benefited from Destiny's injury (I know, a terrible thing to say but...). The team had some ambiguity who was the actual floor general and would have to be that player in clutch time.

It is like rotating starting QBs based on what the defense is showing. It sounds good in theory but in practice, it creates uncertainty.

Now there is no question Jazz shoulders the main responsibility and the job for Kaiya (and more and more Jewel) is to hold down the fort when she is off the court.
Nice observation. How does DW handle working her way back and do they look to shift both into the lineup?

Reactions: krichunaka
Nice observation. How does DW handle working her way back and do they look to shift both into the lineup?

I am pretty sure that Destiny is done for the season and that Jazz is in her last year of eligibility. Barring another transfer, or the continued improvement of Wynn, it should be Destiny's show to run next season. Here is to hoping she has a rapid recovery.

Unfortunately Wells will not be back this year and JP is in her last yr of elig. Next yr, DW should pretty much be the starting PG w Wynn, Spear, Boyd, Strickland, Cooper, and Tess all shooting guards. Wynn and Edie can back up pg I guess.

edited: looks like Mad and I were simil posting

And you know this how? You are not associated in anyway with the program. If I remember correctly the players have been warned about you and you got into some weird social media tiff with Rikea over pictures and ended up apologizing.
Your basketball knowledge is enough on here. Your inferences that you are involved with the players isn’t needed or believed.
Oh you mean that time when RJ was in the decision making process about coming here and he tweeted at her (as an LV fan) that she was delaying the decision bc she was enjoying the attention? Didn't even elevate to a tiff; lucky for us she ignored him. Just sheer one sided fan idiocy. He did apologize, she still didn't care.

Talaysia Cooper can play 1-3. Kaniya Boyd can play 1-2.
They are natural playmakers, can pass, have good court vision, are excellent facilitators and leaders on the floor.

These two players are also good ball handlers and will compete for the starting positions in the guard spots.

I don’t think Destinee Wells will start as soon as she returns from her injury and will be transitioned on a schedule similar to Jazmine Franklin. Once she is able to increase her role, I hope she can get back to playing her style of basketball as an excellent facilitator.

I believe if Tamari Key and Jewel Spear return they will both be starters.

Tennessee will again dominate the portal.

I expect them to go after players that fit the mold of Alexus Dye and Rickea Jackson. You don’t need another Rickea Jackson.. get two playmakers that can score, run, and defend at a high level.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So a long winded list of hypotheticals? Which player did Kellie coach that made it to the WNBA prior to Tennessee? That might give you a better answer to back up this scenario/rant.

Did you go on record as saying CKH would have prepared Westbrook for the pros better than Geno?
Seems to me Rennia Davis was more prepared than Westbrook and not rated nearly as high coming into college Basketball, as was Rae Burrell. Didn't Jordon Horston just make the WNBA all rookie team?

Rickea's skill set has improved ten fold in her couple years in this program as she has admitted thanking God for bringing her to Tennessee and wasn't she just named one of the five best in a tournament full of pro's during the Americup? She has gained the national attention since joining this program as well as watched her stock rise to a probable 1st round draft pick when she wasn't even in the conversation before arriving to Tennessee? How many active coaches have 4 straight years of first round draft picks?

What round was Westbrook taken in? She was the number 2 ranked player entering college and made a pretty bold statement about the coaching she received during her time at Tennessee prior to her departure, but I regress.

Last edited:
Seems to me Rennia Davis was more prepared than Westbrook and not rated nearly as high coming into college Basketball, as was Rae Burrell. Didn't Jordon Horston just make the WNBA all rookie team?

Rickea's skill set has improved ten fold in her couple years in this program as she has admitted thanking God for bringing her to Tennessee and wasn't she just named one of the five best in a tournament full of pro's during the Americup? She has gained the national attention since joining this program as well as watched her stock rise to a probable 1st round draft pick when she wasn't even in the conversation before arriving to Tennessee? How many active coaches have 4 straight years of first round draft picks?

What round was Westbrook taken in? She was the number 2 ranked player entering college and made a pretty bold statement about the coaching she received during her time at Tennessee prior to her departure, but I regress.

Jackson's skill set hasn't improved "tenfold" in her two years at Tennessee. That is a ridiculous comment. She was a very talented player when she got here--averaged 20+ points a game in her last season at Miss. State, plus 5 rebounds. That is why it was a coup to get her. Very few players improve their skill set dramatically during the college career. Some improve, but typically not dramatically. Some players regress. She was scoring for us from her first game, because she's naturally talented. She's certainly gotten more exposure here than at Miss. State, that I will grant. We are a more visible program.

Jackson's skill set hasn't improved "tenfold" in her two years at Tennessee. That is a ridiculous comment. She was a very talented player when she got here--averaged 20+ points a game in her last season at Miss. State, plus 5 rebounds. That is why it was a coup to get her. Very few players improve their skill set dramatically during the college career. Some improve, but typically not dramatically. Some players regress. She was scoring for us from her first game, because she's naturally talented. She's certainly gotten more exposure here than at Miss. State, that I will grant. We are a more visible program.
What she has done is improve her efficiency of scoring better percentages from the field and from the line than when she was elsewhere. I don't credit that to this staff. I credit it to her being a more mature player and putting work in to improve her game every off season. We have hits and misses on this team when it comes to improvement so I see it more as each players individual work more than anything the staff has done.

Unfortunately Wells will not be back this year and JP is in her last yr of elig. Next yr, DW should pretty much be the starting PG w Wynn, Spear, Boyd, Strickland, Cooper, and Tess all shooting guards. Wynn and Edie can back up pg I guess.

edited: looks like Mad and I were simil posting
Were going to need to portal a point guard. We have to just to valuable a position and the current situation to uncertain for us not to get the best point guard out there. We have to get the two best post players we can get and at least one has to be a two year or more player. We don't need any two guards for next season. 2025 would be the year to recruit a couple. This portal class needs to be top five or even the best in the country and yes we need 15 on the roster next season. At least four of the portal players need to be at least two year players. Then in 2025 you have those four and the other four we have returning gets us eight players. We have one 2025 player at the present time that needs to be at least four.

Reactions: brittannica

Seems like a pretty tremendous endorsement for Hollys recruiting in your own words. For the ones left over by her. Wasn’t Jordan MVP on her 17 U team as well? I’m sure that was an oversight on your part.

RJ, I don’t disagree, ten fold is pretty excessive. Where I do, is her immaturity of her first season and the issues that led to her being suspended. Did she come back to grow or did she come back for the dough? Many here believe she’s making better money than a 1st rounder. Nice car too.

Your last part, as you somehow you believe HS rankings are an exact science..it seems Westbrooks issues were more of her own. But let’s blame Holly for a kid going rouge.

I’ll start Kellies clock of WNBA when she gets one of hers…Tess, Puckett, Boyd, Chastain etc. and not riding coattails.

Last edited:
Reactions: knoxvol52
Were going to need to portal a point guard. We have to just to valuable a position and the current situation to uncertain for us not to get the best point guard out there. We have to get the two best post players we can get and at least one has to be a two year or more player. We don't need any two guards for next season. 2025 would be the year to recruit a couple. This portal class needs to be top five or even the best in the country and yes we need 15 on the roster next season. At least four of the portal players need to be at least two year players. Then in 2025 you have those four and the other four we have returning gets us eight players. We have one 2025 player at the present time that needs to be at least four.
don't think she can make it until 26,,butif they haven't foundone yet,,,this is my pick

I feel like a lot of posters like Tess but worry about her defense. Who doesn’t love a young lady like Tess? Smart, hard worker, leader, all Lady Vol. If you could sprinkle pixie dust on her and make her a step quicker she would never come off the floor.
Again, I feel like there was an opportunity to use a semi-colon there.
Justine hits a three on Sara.
Justine missed a two guarded by Sara.
Sara missed a two guarded by someone else.
1st
Justine missed a three guarded by someone else.
Sara missed a putback guarded by someone else.
Sara missed a jumpergguarded by someone else.
Justine missed a jumper guarded by someone else.
Sara hit a two guarded by someone else.
2th quarter ends

Justine hits a three guarded by someone else.
Sara hits a layup Justine chasing fast break.
Justine hits a step back Three on Sara.
Sara missed a three guarded by Justine.
Sara drive for a layup guarded by someone else.
3th

Justine missed a three guarded by Tess
Sara hits one of two Free throws Vanderbilt had to foul.

4th

Tess shots.
Tess misses a three guarded by someone else.
Tess hits a three guarded by Justine Vanderbilt in a zone defense.
Tess draws a foul driving to basket makes two Free throws guarded by someone else.
Tess hits a Three guarded by someone else.
Tess missed a three guarded by Justine.

Justine hit two miss three guarded by Sara. 2 for 5
Justine missed a Three guarded by Tess.

Sara hit one and missed

one guarded by Justine. 1 for 2

Tess hits one and missed one guarded by Justine.

Justine never scores on Tess.
Tess and Justin guarded each other when both was in the game.
Tess kept Justine from Scoring in the 4th quarter .

Seems like a pretty tremendous endorsement for Hollys recruiting in your own words. For the ones left over by her. Wasn’t Jordan MVP on her 17 U team as well? I’m sure that was an oversight on your part.

RJ, I don’t disagree, ten fold is pretty excessive. Where I do, is her immaturity of her first season and the issues that led to her being suspended. Did she come back to grow or did she come back for the dough? Many here believe she’s making better money than a 1st rounder. Nice car too.

Your last part, as you somehow you believe HS rankings are an exact science..it seems Westbrooks issues were more of her own. But let’s blame Holly for a kid going rouge.

I’ll start Kellies clock of WNBA when she gets one of hers…Tess, Puckett, Boyd, Chastain etc. and not riding coattails.

So, you don't believe Rickea is going to be a top draft WNBA draft pick (who ya know recruited)?

That assessment does differ from pretty much all the expert projections but hey whatever.

And to your implied dig at Rickea's motivations - money or growth or a nice car?. Why not all of those options. They are not mutually exclusive. Or is that level of real world complexity to much for your brain to handle?

And what is with the constant references to Holly who is now 5 years removed. Do you think she should still be head coach or that she was treated unfairly?

Do you have some rare form of Tourette's syndrome where you have blurt out something about Holly every other post?

Last edited:
1st
2th quarter ends

3th

4th

Tess shots.
Tess draws a foul driving to basket makes two Free throws guarded by someone else.

Sara hit one and missed

Howdy, mud. This looked like someone else’s work and perspective at the start. Very clear and mostly concise. Good job.

I would have pointed the following out to anyone else without hesitation, so please take no offense, but something I noticed on the SECN bottom screen crawl, irked me. When Tara achieved her 1,202nd win, they called it her 1,202th win. 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

1st
2th quarter ends

3th

4th

Tess shots.

Sara hit one and missed

1706047611447.png

So, you don't believe Rickea is going to be a top draft WNBA draft pick (who ya know recruited)?

That assessment does differ from pretty much all the expert projections but hey whatever.

And to your implied dig at Rickea's motivations - money or growth or a nice car?. Why not all of those options. They are not mutually exclusive. Or is that level of real world complexity to much for your brain to handle?

And what is with the constant references to Holly who is now 5 years removed. Do you think she should still be head coach or that she was treated unfairly?

Do you have some rare form of Tourette's syndrome where you have blurt out something about Holly every other post?
I believe Rickea would have been drafted last year and will be this year. Don’t believe it was a dig, but nice attempt as post after post last season by others was about how RJ should return and capitalize on NIL. Based on WNBA money compared to what she could make here, the car is an added bonus. Feel free to go back and look, or don’t and pick and choose. But let’s not let what others say get in the way of you at least trying with a gotcha moment.

And no, Holly was brought into the conversation many post back by another. Not sure you mocking a disability shows your belief in Howard Finster and his inspiration by God to spread the gospel through folk art. Might want to change that avatar so you don’t come across as a hypocrite.

Starting salaries for WNBA first rounders will around $72, 000. I am guessing that Rickea's deal with Celsius and Mercedes may well top that. I would be shocked if she is living in a dorm so she probably is picking up some living expenses.

Travel is one of the big complaints from WNBA players but I think they do get trainers, nutritionist etc.
Your words not mine. In your own words, sounds like the dough. Slight hint of hypocrite.

Last edited:
Your words not mine. Guess you are a hypocrite
What part of "all of those options" can you not comprehend?

Did she come back to grow or did she come back for the dough? Many here believe she’s making better money than a 1st rounder. Nice car too.

Without NIL, Rickea, like other elite players would not be likely to hang around for their last year of eligibility. But, she can also also value gaining an extra year of maturity, personal development, etc. etc.

Nice dodge on responsibility. Holly was mentioned by someone else so I keep bringing her up in my posts!!!

How about keeping my faith out of the conversation? I appreciate Finster for his artistic brilliance and we can leave it at that.

VN Store

Back