Game Thread Lady Vols at Texas A&M ; Sunday 5PM; ESPN

Yes I’ve seen those posts and vehemently disagree lol. 3-5 years max for a total rebuild. I would never call the Lady Vol job a total rebuild.

When you inherit that much history, such nice facilities, a supportive athletics department and fan base you should be able to get it done quickly. Plus having the WBB HOF in your back yard.

Kim is Kim but YEAR TWO y’all. She didn’t sit around and make excuses. She just got to work. LSU was a dumpster fire when she took over and they won a natty in YEAR TWO.

And like I mentioned I don’t think this would be the right job for JR. I’m a Colorado fan as well (live in a Colorado) and she is a great fit there. She has a loaded veteran roster this season but they won’t be near as tough next year. Hiring her after one really good season would be a lot like when we hired Kellie after one really good season…
I think you just hit the nail on the head, so many think UT sells itself.

It kind of has the same problem as the UT football. Kids this age struggle to remember the glory days of UT football/WBB

Yes I’ve seen those posts and vehemently disagree lol. 3-5 years max for a total rebuild. I would never call the Lady Vol job a total rebuild.

When you inherit that much history, such nice facilities, a supportive athletics department and fan base you should be able to get it done quickly. Plus having the WBB HOF in your back yard.

Kim is Kim but YEAR TWO y’all. She didn’t sit around and make excuses. She just got to work. LSU was a dumpster fire when she took over and they won a natty in YEAR TWO.

And like I mentioned I don’t think this would be the right job for JR. I’m a Colorado fan as well (live in a Colorado) and she is a great fit there. She has a loaded veteran roster this season but they won’t be near as tough next year. Hiring her after one really good season would be a lot like when we hired Kellie after one really good season…

Mulkey has to be the single most atypical example one could cite, though. How many Mulkeys are out there anyway? Are there a lot of 3 time national champion winning coaches with career 82% win percentages out there for hire?

I'm not really bagging on the idea of "getting to work," but Mulkey is arguably the second most successful coach in the game right now behind Auriemma. She got one foot in the door and gitshirted 8 or 9 of her players, had to portal in most of her points and rebounds to stay afloat, and then in year two got another 5 off the team (including most the signees she had to keep from year one), and brought in even more portal transfers that led her team in scoring and rebounding. She basically dumped most of her roster two years in a row and used the portal to replace as she went -- and I very much doubt it was LSU's history, or their facilities, or their fan base that made that happen. Just a whole lot of NIL spit-shine on those championship trophies, I would wager.

So if you want a turnaround of that nature, you better have a coach with her history and championship resume to sell to the players, is what I'm saying.

Last edited:
Tess biggest problem is foot speed and the inability to be a shot creator like many 3 point shooters. I also feel that KJH should run more pick plays which would clear more space for Tess to shoot the three. All she needs is a little spacing. On defense against top D1 talent she is a liability. I will give her credit, she has heart.
She hasn’t been consistently making the ones she’s had wide open. So I’m not sure that’ll matter much until she finds her stroke again.

Mulkey has to be the single most atypical example one could cite, though. How many Mulkeys are out there anyway? Are there a lot of 3 time national champion winning coaches with career 82% win percentages out there for hire?

I'm not really bagging on the idea of "getting to work," but Mulkey is arguably the second most successful coach in the game right now behind Auriemma. She got one foot in the door and gitshirted 8 or 9 of her players, had to portal in most of her points and rebounds to stay afloat, and then in year two got another 5 off the team (including most the signees she had to keep from year one), and brought in even more portal transfers that led her team in scoring and rebounding. She basically dumped most of her roster two years in a row and used the portal to replace as she went -- and I very much doubt it was LSU's history, or their facilities, or their fan base that made that happen. Just a whole lot of NIL spit-shine on those championship trophies, I would wager.

So if you want a turnaround of that nature, you better have a coach with her history and championship resume to sell to the players, is what I'm saying.
Dawn would argue that unless talking past tense with years behind it. Her & Dawn are presently the top 2 coaches in the game right now.

I think you're probably right, but Oregon somehow ended up #19 in the NET last year (finishing 3-15 in Q1 games, but losing most of them by single digits) and did not get in.
I think their conference record of 7 and 11 is what put them out. They only choose so many teams from a conference and they finished to low in their conference standings. Even a high net can't help you if you are not one of the top conference teams. Plus they were 9 and 15 in one and two that is just to many losses. Have to stay within three four 9 and 12 or 13 to have the chance.

Reactions: travis929
I don't even know where to begin....

Solid record? Please elaborate.
Non conference cupcake schedule.
Let's see Yukon's assistant from that team up north that rocky top loves to see lose. How Vols vs Vanderbilt two games series goes.

But it would be hard pull 100%for the vols if she coaches here.

She's training/auditioning for Yukon's job for when the head Yukon's retirement Gene OO #1 Jacka__

Last edited:
Reactions: xtpsrh08123
Mud-speak
I'm usually pretty good at breaking it down,,but???
Now I might leave out . the and in who when .Part of what I'm talking about.
Or period...... Capital start of my sentences.

But my word puzzle clue crosswords. Can be solved most of the time with effort.

But don't put me in with the one letter a word crowd.

Mudcat whichever every person voice takes a fence to that.

From the one and only Mudcat himself.

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
None of the top 3 and is that do you Lisa blunder Iowa coach
@mudcat1973 you know I have no animosity towards you
You do have a certain quaintness and uniqueness to your way of talking that this site both loves and struggles with
I was not referring to the one word response, I was referring to the post it was referring to above it

The post above mirrors that style of your prose

No insult meant ol friend
feel free to make light of me,,,like others on this site seem to enjoy doing as well

bygones, mudcat

Arguably, Mulkey is the new Pat Summitt of this era
Woman coach, Alpha, Stylish, addresses her players on the court, bold and will stare down refs, players, coaches, fans, media,,flashy,,etc.

Do I like her, hell no,,,she is the type of woman furthest from the type I associate with.
Do I respect her, yes...In a world of conformity, she has the cochungas to be a non-conformist.

Would I coach with her,,,absolutely not.
She and I would be two dominant Alpha's on the same staff and the players would see this immediately and use that to tear the staff down.

Now I might leave out . the and in who when .Part of what I'm talking about.
Or period...... Capital start of my sentences.

But my word puzzle clue crosswords. Can be solved most of the time with effort.

But don't put me in with the one letter a word crowd.

Mudcat whichever every person voice takes a fence to that.

From the one and only Mudcat himself.
Love til end you Mudcat the himself only !!!

@mudcat1973 you know I have no animosity towards you
You do have a certain quaintness and uniqueness to your way of talking that this site both loves and struggles with
I was not referring to the one word response, I was referring to the post it was referring to above it

The post above mirrors that style of your prose

No insult meant ol friend
feel free to make light of me,,,like others on this site seem to enjoy doing as well

bygones, mudcat
Your good in mudcat land

Still not using spell check. But this onn streaming box is a better browsers to the fire stick silk web browser.

Firestick just has one silk browser
Onn box has four that you don't need air mouse to use.

Onn box streaming device has spell sbubjections.And if you put a period.. It Capitalized the next word most of the time.

Do not like letter only post much either.

I find that a completely odious comparison. Pat Summitt actually cared about her players.

You sure?
odius?
nice word ;o)

I'm not saying Kim is the panacea of women's college BB,,,but she is the dominant female figure in coaching women's BB right now.
Further
what I thought about Pat Summitt then,
applies to Kim now...
there's two ways of looking at Iconic players and their coaches:
when a player is on your mind,, do you think;
Chamique played for Pat Summit
or
Pat Summitt coached Chamique

Who made who what they were?

___Angel __ plays for coach Mulkey
or
Coach Mulkey coaches __Angel_____

And right now, when you think of Angel Reese, or Flau'ja Johnson...which quote fits?

Further
Do you think:
Rickea plays for Coach Harper
or
Coach Harper coaches Rickea

Think about it...

Not that this is a probability, but the hypothetical prospect of an NIT bid seems to bring out contradictory thoughts.

We're told that we should schedule easier teams OOC in order to build team chemistry, experience, and confidence.

Yet we're also told that "there's nothing to gain, even if we win" by playing in the NIT.

Why is gaining confidence, chemistry, game experience, and success important in the preseason/early season but not the postseason? Even the extra practice time can be valuable.

It is arrogant, not to mention lacking self-awareness, to turn down opportunities to compete simply because of a program's past legacy. After all, the team has already been rejected from the major tournament. Pride has already taken a big hit at that point, so pretending that you're "upholding the legacy" by declining comes across as farcical and, frankly, a little cowardly. The smaller postseason tourneys offer a chance at a little redemption and more importantly shows a hunger to get better, even if that means swallowing pride, eating humble pie, and competing.

Because that's what competitors do.

First, I am not ready to concede that missing the NCAA tournament is an inevitability for this team. The LVs are still 3-1 in conference and they still have every opportunity to get it done.

An upset of LSU is actually not inconceivable (they did it last year and a team we just beat accomplished the task). And of course, they to need to just about run the table (except for SC). So, there is some work to be done.

Having said that, I can understand why the NIT topic is relevant.

At this point, unfortunately, the parallels between the LVs and the Dallas Cowboys are becoming evident, The Cowboy's owner, players, coaches, and fans all talk about how "the expectation is that we are going to win the Super Bowl". But the cowboys last SB was 1996 and they have very limited playoff success since.

What are those expectations actually based on other than self-delusion (and in the cowboys case a lot of marketing hype)? Expectations can be UNREALISTIC.

"Expecting" championships based on a fading legacy does not actually, shock of shock, accomplish anything. I suppose some LA Tech fans are too "upholding the program" by expecting a NC every year.

Better to recognize your current reality and accept the challenge of getting better step by step.

Programs are what they are season by season; nothing more, nothing less. So, if this year's team can only make it to the NIT , then that is what they are. Refusing the bid would be a crybaby move based on a false sense of entitlement.

Go to the NIT tournament and see if you can win it. That challenge would be a good a reality check.

If you are too good to play in the NIT, then prove it now when it matters.

Last edited:
First, I am not ready to concede that missing the NCAA tournament is an inevitability for this team. The LVs are still 3-1 in conference and they still have every opportunity to get it done.

An upset of LSU is actually not inconceivable (they did it last year and a team we just beat accomplished the task). And of course, they to need to just about run the table (except for SC). So, there is some work to be done.

Having said that, I can understand why the NIT topic is relevant.

At this point, unfortunately, the parallels between the LVs and the Dallas Cowboys are becoming evident, The Cowboy owner, players, coaches, and fans all talk about "how the expectation is that we are going to win the Super Bowl. But the cowboys last SB was 1996 and they have very limited playoff success since.

What are those expectations actually based on other than self-delusion (and in the cowboys case I lot of marketing hype).

"Expecting" championships based on a fading legacy does not actually, shock of shock, actually accomplish anything. I suppose some LA Tech fans are too upholding the program by expecting a NC every year.

Better to recognize your current reality and accept the challenge of getting better step by step.

Programs are what they are season by season; nothing more, nothing less. So, if this years team can only make it to the NIT , then that is what they are. Refusing the bid would be a crybaby move based on a false sense of entitlement.

Go to the NIT tournament and see if you can win it. That is a reality check.

If you are too good to play in the NIT, then prove it now when it matters.
We are only 25% thru conference play…. And in the top 2. I’m not giving up on team. Literally top 5 finish in conference gets us in. We’re fine.

Dawn would argue that unless talking past tense with years behind it. Her & Dawn are presently the top 2 coaches in the game right now.

Dawn should be on that list for sure but it does not change the point though. A team could hire Staley or Mulkey and probably have a quick TO (transfers would flock in both cases, which is the biggest factor in Mulkey's rapid path to a title with LSU).

Geno and Tara, though I am not sure if Tara's status and draw (given her 70+ age) would travel to another school. Similarly Geno has been dropping hints about retirement so...

The point is there is a very small set of coaches who have the capacity to pull off an instantaneous turn around.

Dawn should be on that list for sure but it does not change the point though. A team could hire Staley or Mulkey and probably have a quick TO (transfers would flock in both cases, which is the biggest factor in Mulkey's rapid path to a title with LSU).

Geno and Tara, though I am not sure if Tara's status and draw (given her 70+ age) would travel to another school. Similarly Geno has been dropping hints about retirement so...

The point is there is a very small set of coaches who have the capacity to pull off an instantaneous turn around.

Tara is losing influence even at Stanford. I expect to see her retire in the next few years here. She just isn’t getting the players she used to and is having more and more impact transfers out the last couple seasons.

Indya Nivar is a super player I really hoped we might get when she transferred from Stanford. Instead she’s languishing at North Carolina.

Tara is losing influence even at Stanford. I expect to see her retire in the next few years here. She just isn’t getting the players she used to and is having more and more impact transfers out the last couple seasons.

Indya Nivar is a super player I really hoped we might get when she transferred from Stanford. Instead she’s languishing at North Carolina.

We should be losing influence like Tara, I guess. Masssey has Stanford, 15-2, ranked 3rd nationally. We're 32.

VN Store

Back