Game Thread : Lady Vols 80 v Miss State 69 - 6:30pm SECN+

Good win. Love how Horston and the team turned it up the last 3-ish minutes of the game. If she has another big performance next game, she might be next weeks SEC player of the week.

Even though the team shot 6-27 from three, they still hung 80 on a scrappy team. Still found ways to score. That said, it would’ve been great to see the offense go through our posts some.

Still a lot to work on. Still gotta find a way to put teams away. Gotta work on zone offense too.
Only saw two poor sets. Once Tess was wide open and RJ opted to drive for a contested shot, and another when a post had the lane but no entry pass. Hard to complain. Great game, Ladies!

Look at the stat sheet it wasn’t as bad as it felt watching the live feed lol.

Really if we had just shot our normal % from 3 it would not have been at all close.
First time I can remember us playing against a zone for the entire game. I thought we did a good job except from the three point line. Like with most zones we were getting the offensive rebound and getting a lot of chances to make a shot. 25 offensive rebounds in this game.

First time I can remember us playing against a zone for the entire game. I thought we did a good job except from the three point line. Like with most zones we were getting the offensive rebound and getting a lot of chances to make a shot. 25 offensive rebounds in this game.

Yes, the oboards were definitely the difference maker. Especially down the stretch. We had one, if not two or more oboards on every possession. Nice to see us consistently getting more looks at the basket than our opponent.

I guess because of their quickness she was afraid to put Justine in. I think she could've got a lot of open looks at it tonight.

Yes, defensively she’s just too much of a liability still. Really wasn’t a good matchup for her on the defensive end. Love her game though, if she improves like everyone else has she is going to be a truly dangerous and versatile player.

It was a well-played game by both teams. MSU will be in the upper half of the SEC and may pull an upset or two. Jordy played like an All-American tonight. Good games also by Jackson, Tess, and Hollingshed. I was surprised we didn't play Hollingshed at all in the 4th quarter, but perhaps her knees were bothering her. Some of the substitution patterns drive me crazy but that is on me. Meanwhile, nice to be 3 -0 against some pretty good competition.

The Ladies are starting to play good basketball. We have to give that get rid of KJH talk a rest. They have been playing real well starting with the VaTech game. Go Lady Vols!!
Not sure why you chose to introduce that topic in a game thread where we’re discussing a win. Still love ya boo! …relax. This is gonna be fun! 🤩

Reactions: Lucy and Voluble2
I thought Miss St was well coached and they have the parts to give everyone except South Carolina a hard time this year.

I disagree. Going toe to toe against Kellie isn't exactly a high benchmark for coaching excellence. As flawed as Hayes is, she is still a tremendous basketball talent and it's clear Purcell has no idea how to use her...

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I didn’t watch the game, but why did Rickea get a technical with Carter? Also, one thing I’d love to see, is lower defensive scores!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
It was a well-played game by both teams. MSU will be in the upper half of the SEC and may pull an upset or two. Jordy played like an All-American tonight. Good games also by Jackson, Tess, and Hollingshed. I was surprised we didn't play Hollingshed at all in the 4th quarter, but perhaps her knees were bothering her. Some of the substitution patterns drive me crazy but that is on me. Meanwhile, nice to be 3 -0 against some pretty good competition.[/QUOTE.
Franklin is probably going to get most of the 4th quarter minutes at post iin close games unless there is a matchup issue. She is experienced and savvy even with a bum knee. Takes charges, etc.

Last edited:
Feel good winning an SEC game by double digits shooting 22% from 3. That might be our lowest 3 percentage of the year.
Jordy has just really become a complete player. RJ seems to be making big strides in bringing rebounding/assists with her scoring.
I only saw stats. Did I read correctly, did RJ get a tech? If so will she have to sit out a half next game?

VN Store

Back