Game Thread: Lady Vols 52 - USF 49

We have been waiting two years for Key to take advantage of her enormous potential and exert talent and height .....so far it does not look all that promising this year.Potential is really a strange animal.....

Appears to me the strategy so far on her is to bang and push her around early and when she gets frustrated she fouls and has to come out. Nothing new. When apposing coaches see on film that strategy works other teams are going to use it on her until it doesn't work. She just needs to stay under control and I'm sure our coaches are working on that. Easier said than done.

Appears to me the strategy so far on her is to bang and push her around early and when she gets frustrated she fouls and has to come out. Nothing new. When apposing coaches see on film that strategy works other teams are going to use it on her until it doesn't work. She just needs to stay under control and I'm sure our coaches are working on that. Easier said than done.
She not only needs to do that but also be taught some post moves ,even how to post up ,how to block out ,how to guard without fouling,how to jump and use her height.....ie everything about post play in how to score ,how to rebound and how to rebound ,ie how to use her height to her and the team's advantage.

Not to get past USF, because it could be a real test, I spent some time this weekend watching games featuring three of Tennessee’s opponents, Stanford, Texas and Kentucky. Texas defeated Stanford and Kentucky was soundly defeated down the stretch by Indiana. Right now offensively, we will have a tough time hanging with Stanford, Texas or Kentucky. Kentucky wore down, due to a short bench and foul trouble, so we have a realistic shot against them. I also watched USC versus NC State and South Dakota and right now we have little if any shot of beating USC. I also watched UCONN versus Arkansas and the same situation apply as far as the Lady Vols are concerned. The saving grace is all of these teams are in the early developing stages, however, they all seem ahead of the Lady Vols. To a large degree, we have to better develop our offense and post play. How soon and how much that happens will affect our chances against top 25 teams.

She not only needs to do that but also be taught some post moves ,even how to post up ,how to block out ,how to guard without fouling,how to jump and use her height.....ie everything about post play in how to score ,how to rebound and how to rebound ,ie how to use her height to her and the team's advantage.

Who is the post coach?

Gosh! Does she even know how to breath or circulate blood through her body?

i have said for a long time go back and look at my post`s She needs to taught more on the offensive end. My take she she needs a post coach, Her defense is off the chart teams are not gonna get much inside with her on the floor.

256163098_610461030278148_6752092833499513509_n.jpg

Last edited:
It’s Joy McCorvey
Then I owe Mr Harper an apology ....last year I thought that he was the stated Post Coach and I made the wrong assumption that he had continued in that position with the hiring of the new coaches.I will write him a letter of apology if you folks desire me to.Fact is ,though,there is little evidence that post coaching has made much progress in developing Key or any other posts on the offensive end of the court in the last several years.

I know it’s all still early, but I’m still concerned about who this team is right now. I don’t know who is our go to player now that Rae could be out for an extended time. Yes, it is early, but I’m disappointed in some of our upper class man’s showing right now, specifically Tamari. Tamari is too good and too tall not to be a force. If she is getting into foul trouble now, it makes you wonder if this is a trend to expect. I feel like these games we might need to free Emily, she often scored in games, and pulled won boards, and blocked shots.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The biggest issue with the post is we have not been able to exploit the 12 foot out game consistently so the middle gets clogged. Tamari tries to play the clean, less physical version of her game while opponents have learned they can lean and be physical and take her out of her comfort zone.

I know it’s all still early, but I’m still concerned about who this team is right now. I don’t know who is our go to player now that Rae could be out for an extended time. Yes, it is early, but I’m disappointed in some of our upper class man’s showing right now, specifically Tamari. Tamari is too good and too tall not to be a force. If she is getting into foul trouble now, it makes you wonder if this is a trend to expect. I feel like these games we might need to free Emily, she often scored in games, and pulled won boards, and blocked shots.
Has to be Horston and Dye, imo. They can create for themselves and create for others. And yeah, would be nice if Tamari played to her potential as well.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
But she is too slowwww 😞like I’m sorry I’d rather just put in Karoline if Tamari can’t catch a break from refs

Not to get past USF, because it could be a real test, I spent some time this weekend watching games featuring three of Tennessee’s opponents, Stanford, Texas and Kentucky. Texas defeated Stanford and Kentucky was soundly defeated down the stretch by Indiana. Right now offensively, we will have a tough time hanging with Stanford, Texas or Kentucky. Kentucky wore down, due to a short bench and foul trouble, so we have a realistic shot against them. I also watched USC versus NC State and South Dakota and right now we have little if any shot of beating USC. I also watched UCONN versus Arkansas and the same situation apply as far as the Lady Vols are concerned. The saving grace is all of these teams are in the early developing stages, however, they all seem ahead of the Lady Vols. To a large degree, we have to better develop our offense and post play. How soon and how much that happens will affect our chances against top 25 teams.
Key had some big games last year, she impacts the game defensively obviously, but she has shown times where she was an offensive threat, I think with her it depends on the matchups and opposing team’s style of defense. If she can figure out this year how to be more consistent offensively (she should) then everyone will stop judging her so harshly.

She needs to take that step though. And yeah, someone should have developed some post moves for her by now, she could wreak havoc if she had a few moves.

Last edited:
Reactions: travis929
Sara needs to get hers sometimes you don’t have to pass
She prob needs to find 6-10 shots a game right now with RB out….she can stroke it. Realize she doesn’t create her own shot, so the timing on passes to her has to be more precise so she can get it off.

Reactions: lvocd

VN Store

Back