Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 70 - Ole Miss 58

As for Rae, I’m not the least bit worried. I’d like to see her back to 100% at least a couple of weeks before the SEC Tournament for her to feel good and confident and totally meshing with everyone else for a few games. But she can afford to take her time, I believe.

some allso said tess could not hit 3s in the sec.
I thought after the first couple of games that would probably be all she ever did was shoot threes. Now she is expanding her game getting some rebounds and some steals all that is huge for the team. Her defense has come along as well much better than early part of season.

Tess was slowed by injury last season. If not for the free Covid year, they may have opted to redshirt her versus wasting a year and her playing only 10 games. She has continued to improve with each game and defenses have to know where she is on the court which opens up the floor for better drives for our quicker guards.

I think the Ole Miss players reflect their HC and they are going to play as aggressive and in your face as the officials will let them. They were 13-1 coming into the game so its working. You have to get aggressive back and keep your poise, which LV's did. Just a physical tough team to play.

I thought after the first couple of games that would probably be all she ever did was shoot threes. Now she is expanding her game getting some rebounds and some steals all that is huge for the team. Her defense has come along as well much better than early part of season.
l think she good jumper. not in rae,horston,dye area. she just needs to work on not walking. she has pass good all year. she does not force bad shots up much.

Reactions: Lucy and chuckiepoo
I think the Ole Miss players reflect their HC and they are going to play as aggressive and in your face as the officials will let them. They were 13-1 coming into the game so its working. You have to get aggressive back and keep your poise, which LV's did. Just a physical tough team to play.
Ole Miss plays extremely physical sure you have to count the bruises and scratches after you play them.

Tess was slowed by injury last season. If not for the free Covid year, they may have opted to redshirt her versus wasting a year and her playing only 10 games. She has continued to improve with each game and defenses have to know where she is on the court which opens up the floor for better drives for our quicker guards.
l think she play five years for tenn. she said in govols247 "i get last year back!!!

Game Stats

Kellie played 9 today.

Coach Yo played 13! Horston with a monster game, Key with a very good one. What a terrific pick up she was over the off season. Point guards weren't very good on offense, but they were being mugged all game. Puckett and Green were solid. Tess with an excellent game, too. TK did her thing on defense, not much offense, but she was being mugged, too. If she had the mid-range jumper of her opponent today, she would really be a complete player.

What sticks out the most is turn overs (still too many), the rebounding differential (we are elite at rebounding) and the improved overalll shooting.

View attachment 427130

13 points shooting 50% from three and 4 rebounds. We see you Tess!!!
This is yet another example that recruiting is not always about five-star recruits but also about finding those other athletes who can help your team even if it takes some developing and even if it takes a season or two before they start contributing to the program. Great job Tess. Keep it up.

Mudcat I know you are big Darby supporter and I want you to know we were all really proud of Tess if she didn’t hit those shots it would have been a completely different game but I just want consistency from her. Her defense wasn’t too bad today either she should really be proud of herself!!!
See post #547.

Ole Miss relies on turnovers to increase possessions and ultimately scoring off of turnovers to win. Our Staff's game and roster management was excellent. In my opinion, turn overs are the result of mental mistakes caused by physical exhaustion. The subbing of our principal ball handlers was next level stuff. Color Analysis Sorenson summed it up at the end of the game..."Tennessee is a complete team." And LV fans that includes our staff.

mudcat 101 read tess darby played the long game and won go vols 247 tenn was not the only power five after tess darby. mudcat gives story 5 stars.
This is yet another example that recruiting is not always about five-star recruits but also about finding those other athletes who can help your team even if it takes some developing and even if it takes a season or two before they start contributing to the program. Great job Tess. Keep it up.

VN Store

Back