Game Thread: (7/8) Lady Vols 70 - Ole Miss 58

VolBall09

They have a lot of motivation for this game View attachment 426732
Lmao. Ain’t gonna happen. She has ZERO fan support. The last game I watched there were seriously only about 10 people there. It was sad. I can’t for the life of me understand how she is attracting so many decent transfers.

I for one would not enjoy playing my entire career in front of an empty arena.

Also, I hope they do get a good crowd because they’re just going to sit there in silence as the Lady Vols throttle them anyway. 😉

VolBall09

Ole Miss is a quality team and they are very scrappy defensively. I would not say they are a fundamentally sound defensive team. They tend to over play and hope to create turnovers and easy scores. They average 20 points off turnovers but have not played very many quality teams.

Their defense also looks artificially better than it is because they have not played any good offensive teams. Texas Tech is the best offensive team they have played but their leading scorer, and by far best player, Vivian Gray, did not play and Breamber Scott played very limited minutes.

We are much more fundamentally sound offensively and it’s starting to show. We will be able to punish them for the overplay this season where we were not able to last year.

Ole Miss is also small and I think we will crush them on the glass. They start Austin at 6’5” and they have some length but they are very slim. They have a couple 6’ players like Salary, Scott and Collins but they are very slight and will not be able to guard Horston/Green/Dye in the paint or keep them off the glass.

Austin has good size but cannot contend with Tamari this season IMO. Having watched them both, TK is a changed woman while Shakira is resting on her laurels. Shakira’s numbers are down this year compared to last and that is against inferior competition so far. I think Tamari is going to own her on Sunday.

My prediction, we will win this game to the tune of 68-55.

Last edited:

Voltopia

9 wins and a bowl game.
*EDITED BECAUSE I AM FORGETFUL AND FOR ACCURACY AND A HEALTHIER, SHINIER COAT.*

Tennessee is 14-1, something they have only accomplished a handful of times, including most recently 2017-2018 which I of course forgot about but considering how they finished I'm not going to punish myself for that one.

But anyway, 14-1. I'm not saying Tennessee is a lock, or that it's a sure win or a sure loss, but only to say that 14-1 is impressive and atypical for the program in recent years. Maybe they struggle on the road a bit, maybe they add some more Ls, I don't know, but maybe they pull through this upcoming road slate and come out sniffing 20 wins and very few losses. This is not something they do often, and they have done it the hard way this year, but they've done it. Might not be such a bad idea for folks to try to enjoy it a little bit. Blah blah blah this problem, that problem, yeah, yeah, okay, cool, gotcha, but c'mon now, it's been a pretty good front half of the season.

Last edited:

VolBall09

Tennessee is 14-1, something they haven't accomplished since 2009 with a team that had players like Stricklen, Bjorklund, Johnson, Gray, and Cain and won more than 30 games. I say all this not to say that Tennessee is a lock, or that it's a sure win or a sure loss, but only to say that 14-1 is impressive and something Tennessee hasn't done since the 2000s. Maybe they struggle on the road a bit, maybe they add some more Ls, I don't know, but maybe they pull through this upcoming road slate and come out sniffing 20 wins and very few losses. This is not something they have done in a long while. Might not be such a bad idea for folks to try to enjoy it a little bit. Blah blah blah this problem, that problem, yeah, yeah, okay, cool, gotcha, but c'mon now, it's been a pretty good front half of the season.
I love the sentiment but the 17-18 team started 15-0. Then totally laid an egg most the rest of the way. That season is the reason I have trust issues. It had more of an effect on my mental health than I’d like to admit.

Voltopia

9 wins and a bowl game.
I love the sentiment but the 17-18 team started 15-0. Then totally laid an egg most the rest of the way. That season is the reason I have trust issues. It had more of an effect on my mental health than I’d like to admit.
Rats, it never even occurred to me to check the last few years. Shows what I know. I think I've largely blocked that season out of my memory. I'll have to nudge that sentence a bit.

Last edited:

ttharpe

Yes, same 😩 We also won the first four games in conference play that year.

madtownvol

Different coaching staff and a completely different roster so maybe this history is not all that relevant....

VN Store