Game Thread: (5/6) Lady Vols 65 - Vanderbilt 51

I was asymptomatic,,,got the vaccine #1, NOTHING,,SHOT #2 got me sicker than covid did,,,had to do it though. WIth parents at 83 and 90,,,I have to take all the precautions I can

My 2nd shot and covid booster both kicked my butt for 24 hours. (I have a similar reaction to flu shots as well) A strong response to those shots is sign that your immune system is kicking into high gear.

Why do vaccines make you feel sick?

virus, infection, 'desease' whatever you call it. I'm about to have a grandbaby and have been advised we all need DPT shots bc whooping cough, pertussis, is making a comeback. Vaccines to fight transmissible disease is not new, nor is public disclosure of them to enter public settings. It's basic public health. Wasn't controversial until made political recently. If you don't want to disclose your vaccine status that's fine, but stay the hell away from breathing on me.
If you have the jab,and wearing your .50mask what are you worried about?

25+ point win in a snoozefest. Key will feast on their inside players. Expect to see Saunders and Rennie in the game early in the 4th.

I'm going with 72-45, with the rebounding difference being about the same as the MOV.
Prob a close prediction, Vd will likely fight hard for a bit but cave under the avalanche soon enough.

I think if you are vaccinated and are asymptomatic you would carry a lesser load of the virus and are therefore less likely to spread it.

Lucy, I'm not a medical person, either. I would guess that what you say is true or false depending on the individual unvaxed person. If they are unhealthy and old, etc, they would be sicker than someone unvaxed who is young and healthy. If a person is unvaxed, has multiple co-morbidities, and then go an indoor college basketball game, then there's no helping that person.

Reactions: Lucy
Here's a Shea Ralph interview about the rivalry:

Fun quote from Shea Ralph on history with UT

Ralph quote about a national championship game: They (meaning TN) were really well-known for their pressure defense back in the day. So I remember in our championship game getting like 100 backdoor layups, and that was a lot of fun."

Sadly, she ain't wrong...

Reactions: flint
Lucy, I'm not a medical person, either. I would guess that what you say is true or false depending on the individual unvaxed person. If they are unhealthy and old, etc, they would be sicker than someone unvaxed who is young and healthy. If a person is unvaxed, has multiple co-morbidities, and then go an indoor college basketball game, then there's no helping that person.

Actually, that effect (lower viral load) has been pretty clearly shown:
Vaccinated shed less virus

Also, youcancallmeall, vaccine passports are not unprecedented in US history; a version of the vax passport was key to eradicating small pox:

Thanks for the education, Madtownvol. I didn't know that about smallpox. Of course, it predates me by a few years.;)

What you say about probabilities of infection vs vaxination makes some sense. But are we sure that's the case? Especially with Omicron? We have thought we were sure about a lot of things about this disease that turned out not to be true.

We all know there’s no need in debating COVID protocols or vaccines. Whatever your beliefs it’s not going to be changed by strangers on volnation… so back to game talk (although you’re at least being civil about it.. that’s a rarity).

Vandy keeps it close in the first half. Lady Vols pull away in the third and close strong and give Shea a reminder that Vandy will remain a nobody.

Lady Vols 75
Vandy 56

We were talking about tuberculosis. Another airborne virus that attacked the lungs causing hemorrhaging in the lungs. A big killer for many years. I can remember as a little kid getting tested at school every year for tuberculosis. Test was a skin prick. Some folks now would lose their doo doo if their kids was being tested for a disease at school. It was just part of public health policy in the sixties.

TB isn't a virus, and it can attack many other parts of the body besides the lungs. FYI.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Thanks for the education, Madtownvol. I didn't know that about smallpox. Of course, it predates me by a few years.;)

What you say about probabilities of infection vs vaxination makes some sense. But are we sure that's the case? Especially with Omicron? We have thought we were sure about a lot of things about this disease that turned out not to be true.

Omicron has clearly changed the landscape (as will future mutations). Just to be clear, I am obviously pro-vax and I understand that not everyone is but, from my understanding, these mutations are also more likely to keep happening so long as a large % are not vaccinated (and so this problem is a global one).

Omicron has has greatly lowered the protective value of being vaccinated (fortunately it seems to be a less virulent strain). So, if someone had two shots of Pfizer or moderna, against Delta and prior strains, your chances of getting covid were about 1 and 10 (but with only a minuscule chance of serious symptoms). Omicron dropped that protective value down to somewhere around 50% (maybe even a little lower). The third booster seems to get the protection level up to about 70% (with those 30% most likely to be asymptomatic).

There was, and to some extent still is, hope in the medical community that the covid vaccine might be more like the one for measles or polio where some finite number series of shots confers long term, robust immunity. It is starting to look like we might have a situation that is more like the flu shot.

I didn't realize Vandy doesn't have a starter over 5'10. Rebounding should be aplenty and hopefully TK can stay out of foul trouble. For whatever reason TK seems to get terrible calls against the much smaller players.

Sometimes playing against smaller players can be a bad matchup for Tamari. I think this is a great matchup for Keyen and Dye though.

Sometimes playing against smaller players can be a bad matchup for Tamari. I think this is a great matchup for Keyen and Dye though.
Tamari has dominated all smaller posts this season so i expect that to continue. In her matchup with austin she was still effective bc she required a double team sometimes triple when she got the ball. Points are not all that matter sometimes she made a difference in the way Ole Miss defended us which allowed Jordan Horston to Go Awwffff

It is starting to look like we might have a situation that is more like the flu shot.

That is my take, as well. i'm not anti-vax. I am fully vaxed myself. I'm anti bad logic and anti fake science and anti bad policies. For example, we don't ask for vaccination cards for the flu. Maybe we should, I dunno.

Again, thanks for sharing your knowledge on the subject.

Per your point, when it comes to epidemiology, it does not make sense to talk in absolute terms (i.e. vaxxed people do or do not spread the virus). It is a matter of probabilities. Vaxxed people can get breakthrough cases, particularly with omicron, and they can be asymptomatic spreaders. However, your odds of contracting covid are much lower if you are vaxxed; your odds of significant, life threatening or debilitating long haul systems are much lower if you are vaxxed; and your odds of being an asymptomatic spreader are much lower if you are vaxxed; and as you note, vaxxed people, if they are in the small fraction of those spreading, carry a much lower viral load than the non-vaxxed. But in the days of omicron, masking and socially distancing are still excellent practices even if someone is fully vaxxed.

I was in France last month, right when omicron was hitting, To go anywhere (ride a train, eat in a cafe, go to an indoor entertainment event), you have to show proof of vax status or a negative covid test in the last 48 hours (all the pharmacies do walk-in tests). No French person i knew saw these precautions as a slippery slope to totalitarianism. They appreciated the piece of mind it brought (call it freedom from anxiety).

Also, youcancallmeAl, vaccine passports are not unprecedented in US history; a version of the vax passport was key to eradicating small pox:

History of vaccine passports in the US

Plus, public schools require proof of vaccination (or a religious exemption).
So glad you added some expertise and clarity. You rock!

Reactions: madtownvol

VN Store

Back