Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. #1/1 STANFORD

BS
I don't accept this.
I can make a shooter out anyone who wants to be a shooter.
But can you make a maker? I know you coach, but I listen to Geno a lot. He finds a kid that can do something and has them do that. He made an all american and first round pick out of Gabby by making her a defensive marvel (National Defensive Player of the year). He puts rebounders to rebounder passers to pass. Slashers slash and makers shoot. He will forbid some kids from shooting. His goal is to put players where they succeed. Napheesa Collier had her shot completely reworked when she got to the W. Geno didn't have time to work on that. she had interior scoring ability and that's what he had her do. Azuera Stevens thought she was a stretch 4 and could make 3 pointers. At UConn she became a back to the basket post. Katie Lou at 6'3" was not a rebounder, so he didn't count on her to rebound. Creating a winning team is the object.

His quote is, "Most high school kids don't know what they are good at. All they know is that they play basketball. You figure out what they are good at and you tell them to do that."

😂😂😂 , this is basketball, what can they possibly learn from “scratch”?!?!!

It’ll be the same story next year as well, we get Zaay back, and 2 mediocre recruits, not enough to compete at a high level.

Kellie and her staff have to make a splash in 2021 in regards to recruiting or it’ll be a short stay for her on Rocky Top. I don’t think this program knows what patience is, we’re a “storied” program, we should be back in the mix within 5 years, if Kellie was the right hire.
It takes years for most places (I know UT is not most places and has an edge over others) it takes years to get top recruits. I read the other day Amari Deberry said she was first contacted by UConn the summer of her 8th grade year. Kelli came here with relationships with many players, but they were not top 20 players. they were So Mo type players. She is behind the eight ball chasing Mulkey, McGraw, Rueck, Dawn, and Geno who have had contact with these players for years. Have been in their homes and know their mom's favorite wine. Give Kellie a break. It's not going to take her as long as someone at another SEC school because she has the LV heritage but it's not going to be easy.

I used to tell my customers, "I can be fast, good, and cheap. You can pick any two."

". . . . if 2021 class comes in strong? I like our potential in the future! 🙏"

How long before Tennessee loses it's recruiting mojo - or is it lost already? The team that Pat Summitt built no longer exists and how many of these young recruits remember it?

Reactions: xtpsrh08123
short answer? they have no endurance. Any more than 3 trips up and down the court and they are dragging behind. why 18 -22 yo's can't run all day is a mystery to me.
We have some that are just slow of foot. And some are slow when it comes to b-ball IQ I am sure some on this board are offended by this but the truth hurts. All these players had a full summer and now a fall with their new coach and they are not faster of foot or b-ball IQ than last year. Most of these players have maxed out their potential it is what it is the solution to our problems is only thru new players either by recruiting or transfer! Sorry but I will break your heart with the truth. It will set you free.

Kelli came here with relationships with many players, but they were not top 20 players. they were So Mo type players. She is behind the eight ball chasing Mulkey, McGraw, Rueck, Dawn, and Geno who have had contact with these players for years.

Like Courtney Banghart? Or maybe they should have hired a coach who had contact with these players for years...

We have some that are just slow of foot. And some are slow when it comes to b-ball IQ I am sure some on this board are offended by this but the truth hurts. All these players had a full summer and now a fall with their new coach and they are not faster of foot or b-ball IQ than last year. Most of these players have maxed out their potential it is what it is the solution to our problems is only thru new players either by recruiting or transfer! Sorry but I will break your heart with the truth. It will set you free.
Luckily, we have 4 freshmen who are nowhere near their maxed out potential.
Expecting great things from Jordan, Jessie, Tamari, and Emily.

Maybe if I'd mentioned any specific names I could see how my post would make you upset. But I didn't. I wouldn't, EVER, do such a thing. Just making a general, non-specific statement suggesting that Stanford students are pretty much guaranteed to be above-average intelligence and that Tennessee students may, or may NOT be, shouldn't be much of a shocker to anyone.

But if it will make you feel better, I apologize to any and all totally unnamed Tennessee students/athletes whom I offended by suggesting that there may or may not be some Tennessee student-athletes who are not as bright as the typical Stanford student-athlete.

P.S.
Forbes compiled a list of 600 people — 30 in each of 20 industries — who it described as “the brashest entrepreneurs across the United States and Canada”, “trailblazers”, “bold risk-takers” and “innovators” “shaking up some of the world’s stodgiest industries”. Forbes then listed the schools that produced the most members on the 30 Under 30 list, which was topped by Stanford.

The Daily Beast's college rankings take into account nine factors, with academics, future earnings, and affordability weighted most heavily. The other criteria include graduation rates, diversity, athletics, nightlife, activities, and campus quality. Data comes from The National Center for Education Statistics, as well as private organizations like PayScale, for salary data, and Niche, for student opinions. The Daily Beast's college rankings report the top 250 scoring schools, with Stanford University at the top, followed by Harvard University, Yale University, MIT, and Columbia University.[5]

University College ranking
Stanford University 1
Harvard College 2
Yale University 3
MIT 4
Columbia University 5
Princeton University 6
Cornell University 7
University of Pennsylvania 8

University No. of 30 Under 30 members
Stanford University 54
Harvard College 46
MIT 34
University of Pennsylvania 24
University of California at Berkeley 22
NYU 19
Yale University 19
Cornell University15

Don't see Tennessee on these lists, do you?
My post had nothing to do with Stanford entrepreneurial rankings.

I’m seeing a lot of giving up on this thread. Giving up on our current roster, giving up on a brand new coaching staff.
There is nothing wrong with the quality of the roster or staff. Stanford last night is where we can be in the future with these same kids. What Stanford has that we don’t have is institutional knowledge. Tara has certainly changed with the times but the expectations and ways of approaching practice, etc. have remained consistent and incoming freshmen have three classes in front of them reinforcing the “Stanford way”.
It will take time to redevelop this asset. Case in point, the kids surprise at Kelly’s reaction to the Texas loss. They now know that losing is accompanied by anger, disappointment and
hard work on the causes of the loss.
Finally, if calling more timeouts or cutting the bench time would make everything okay I have know doubt Kelly would do that. The issues facing the staff and players are about rebuilding a program identity not just winning a particular game. I have confidence our identity can and will be restablished with the staff and roster we have.
Whew! Putting my soap box away now.

My post had nothing to do with Stanford entrepreneurial rankings.

I can see that you’re determined to be insulted and/or upset that I was insensitive enough to point out the fact that the Stanford student body is far more likely to have a larger percentage of brainiacs than the Tennessee student body has.

I kinda figured that was common knowledge. But hey, go ahead. Knock yourself out! o_O

I can see that you’re determined to be insulted and/or upset that I was insensitive enough to point out the fact that the Stanford student body is far more likely to have a larger percentage of brainiacs than the Tennessee student body has.

I kinda figured that was common knowledge. But hey, go ahead. Knock yourself out! o_O
Some folks can’t handle the truth.

I’m seeing a lot of giving up on this thread. Giving up on our current roster, giving up on a brand new coaching staff.
There is nothing wrong with the quality of the roster or staff. Stanford last night is where we can be in the future with these same kids. What Stanford has that we don’t have is institutional knowledge. Tara has certainly changed with the times but the expectations and ways of approaching practice, etc. have remained consistent and incoming freshmen have three classes in front of them reinforcing the “Stanford way”.
It will take time to redevelop this asset. Case in point, the kids surprise at Kelly’s reaction to the Texas loss. They now know that losing is accompanied by anger, disappointment and
hard work on the causes of the loss.
Finally, if calling more timeouts or cutting the bench time would make everything okay I have know doubt Kelly would do that. The issues facing the staff and players are about rebuilding a program identity not just winning a particular game. I have confidence our identity can and will be restablished with the staff and roster we have.
Whew! Putting my soap box away now.

I agree. Around game 3 or 4, I posted that fans really needed to be more even keeled and not get to excited about these early wins against clearly inferior teams. The response was that I was being a debbie downer and that it was a great change to feel excited about the program.
The problem with getting overly ebullient is that it can also lead to dire pessimism when things don't go well.

This is a very young team with only battle tested and fairly elite player in Davis. The team has lost some key players through injury and transfer and the reality is that the season will have lots of bumps in the road.

I think it is very unlikely this team becomes an offensive juggernaut this season but they can become a tough defensive team but the season for a first year coach really does not start until the conference portion of the schedule.

Realistically, this team has to grow-up and gel fast if they are going to be competitive in the conference,.

To praise Stanford is one thing. To add insults to the Lady Vols is uncalled for, unnecessary, and insensitive. Comments such as some of our players are not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, really?
As a player, would you appreciate these comments?
Missouri State lost by 9 points last year to Stanford. Are they brainiacs?
Done.

Last edited:
Absolutely.
And the coach has to
More than that,
they have to be mentally tough,
as team do take on the personality of its coach(es)

Jaz needs a shooting coach that will get her to re-create her shot from scratch...

Multiple MCDAA's does not constitute a rebuilding....Play the top 8, and quit being the coach they like, and start being the coach they refuse to give anything but their best to.

Demand excellence, teach excellence and you'll get excellence
I agree with you in theory, but multiple MCDAA’s does not necessarily mean you have the right mix to reach your goals and objectives. Rebuilding may also mean changing attitudes and the culture. This team has talent, no doubt, however, we need floor leadership, which right now we do not have. You can rebuild programs with the talent you inherited, especially if it was ill coached. In that rebuild, it includes all the things you mentioned.

Reactions: PG1
To praise Stanford is one thing. To add insults to the Lady Vols is uncalled for, unnecessary, and insensitive. Comments such as some of our players are not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, really?
As a player, would you appreciate these comments?
Missouri State lost by 9 points last year to Stanford. Are they brainiacs?
Done.

*standing ovation* *slowclap*...................*clap*.....................*clap*......................*clap*................
...................*clap*......................*clap*....................*clap*......................*clap*

Reactions: gule and Remy
I agree. A school that seems to be smarter than most which comes out in their play is Notre Dame. Most years I would rather watch them than about any school because they play as a team, and know what they individually can do, and are to provide in the scheme of things. There are higher requirements to get in the school than some, but it too goes back to what kind of player is recruited, and the Coaches orientation to the game.
"Kind of player" and kind of person- get along while giving their all for the team, or are they something else not so desirable though really talented? Also, on IQ: Basketball IQ is certainly not necessarily a high ACT, nor a straight A student. For instance, Larry Bird once said he might be a C student in class but A+ on the Basketball Court. And, he was. :- }

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
l used to tell my customers, "I can be fast, good, and cheap. You can pick any two."

Did you crib that line from American Gigolo? ;)

On a serious note, good points about other P-5 coaches having a big head start on Kellie. Makes you wonder which athletes were being recruited by the previous staff and if Tennessee has maintained contact.

Time to move on from this game not the first time we've lost at Stanford Parker lost there and then went on in the tourney to beat them by 16. This teams destiny this season is all determined whether they can find enough offense to compete against the better teams. Quite obvious that when we get to the bench we become terrible. I keep thinking Kellie will move away from them other than a few minutes for some players to get a rest break thus far that hasn't happened. Makes no sense for Harris, Rennie, and couple others to be getting close to 20 minutes a game. Makes a lot more sense for the top five to be getting 30 plus and some are below 20 or just barley above that for the season.

*standing ovation* *slowclap*...................*clap*.....................*clap*......................*clap*................
...................*clap*......................*clap*....................*clap*......................*clap*
😀

"Kind of player" and kind of person- get along while giving their all for the team, or are they something else not so desirable though really talented? Also, on IQ: Basketball IQ is certainly not necessarily a high ACT, nor a straight A student. For instance, Larry Bird once said he might be a C student in class but A+ on the Basketball Court. And, he was. :- }
And by the time you are a sophomore or junior in college and have played thousands of games and thousands more practices and workouts with personal trainers if that b-ball IQ is not there it’s never going to be there.

And by the time you are a sophomore or junior in college and have played thousands of games and thousands more practices and workouts with personal trainers if that b-ball IQ is not there it’s never going to be there.

I have coached kids in their late teens who had to have explained terms like: weak-side help, help defense, the difference between Elbow extended versus foul-line extended...etc.

There are players that are used for their size or singular skills that falls through the learning aspect of the game...so I have to disagree with an overall perception

The issues facing the staff and players are about rebuilding a program identity not just winning a particular game. I have confidence our identity can and will be restablished with the staff and roster we have.

Missouri St. started last year 1-7 and made the Sweet 16 ---- Kellie, I believe, is aiming to make hay in conference play, and I believe in her ability to get it done.

Missouri St. started last year 1-7 and made the Sweet 16 ---- Kellie, I believe, is aiming to make hay in conference play, and I believe in her ability to get it done.

She has two more games upcoming that she can look at everyone, and should...once we enter SEC play though, the "play everyone" strategy has to change. The higher level competition dictates this. The game with Stanford also dictated this.

I like McCoy,,she is intense and will sacrifice her body to Subbing in play with physical force,,but to bring her off the bench when we had just endured a 6-0 run and 8-9 possessions without a score made me wonder, why??. We needed a scoring influence right then and "that" she has not proven to be..and we continued on to 19 possession before we put the ball in the basket and the run ballooned to 14-3...As a coach I would be remiss to not question this.

And I believe that if Kellie were on the outside looking in, she would most probably have thought the same thing.

I do not question Coach K as a coach and as the choice for UT LV's.
I am 100% behind the choice and have been even before she was hired.
But to sit back and not be who I am, as a poster and as a coach and laud her every move without critiquing the ones I question is to not be true to myself and to not be what I have been for my entire coaching-life

VN Store

Back