Game Thread: #23/24 TENNESSEE VS. #1/1 STANFORD

As far as Westbrook goes aside from her loss
of points for the team her leaving has no
bearing on what is going on with the team now. JMHO.

You do realize Westbrook was mentioned because we can’t score the ball? Try to keep up. That’s literally the only reason she was discussed.

Reactions: madtownvol
well, that was embarrassing --- can a coach teach mental toughness, or does it have to be recruited?

In years past I got soooooo tired of reading posts from well-meaning Lady Vols fans saying, “Next year we’ll be much better!” Those words became fairly nauseating to me because I had no confidence that the players in ANY year would be provided with the tools necessary to raise the level of play the next season regardless of which new sure-thing star recruits were going to be added.

But those words would no longer make me cringe because I actually do feel confident that next year, in fact, WILL be better.

As has been said many, many times by Kellie and dozens of posters on message boards, this season is going to be one that requires a great deal of patience and understanding on the part of everyone inside and outside of the program.

The staff is taking a long view at the program, choosing to approach the rebuild methodically, deliberately taking it slow while players old and new learn literally EVERYTHING from scratch.

Obviously it’s a lot of work. A helluva lot. Remember the shambles the program was left it? I do. So only 10 games into the next season while missing what would have been three key players from last year (Zaay, Westbrook and Collins), I’m pleased for this team that they gave #1 Stanford a competitive first quarter.

I think that first quarter is something Tennessee can build on.
😂😂😂 , this is basketball, what can they possibly learn from “scratch”?!?!!

It’ll be the same story next year as well, we get Zaay back, and 2 mediocre recruits, not enough to compete at a high level.

Kellie and her staff have to make a splash in 2021 in regards to recruiting or it’ll be a short stay for her on Rocky Top. I don’t think this program knows what patience is, we’re a “storied” program, we should be back in the mix within 5 years, if Kellie was the right hire.

Reactions: vettefool
27 point loss. Eeeek. Not good. I guess this is gonna be one of those years for both basketball teams. Better times ahead I would think.
Better times are definitely ahead for the men’s team. This team, I’m not so sure yet.

Oh they want to be.
All players want to shoot..

It is the mental-condition and the environment of that shot,, that affects their decision to pull the trigger.
I don't know the condition for them now, as Coach K is in her beginning...But I do know that in prior years players were constantly called out for "bad shots" and that affects the shooter's mentality.
When you shoot you have to have a clear mind, thinks only about how it is going to sound as it swishes through the net.
Miss...and you have to go right back to clear mind again
You have to shoot "knowing" it is going in.

Shooting is about 20% environment and 80% mental state.
And 100% mechanics.

I can shoot and make a foul shot with my eyes closed because I am unguarded and have the muscle memory of doing it thousands of times. . . Also, I know that I have shot with a hand inches from my face because I have successfully done it...fully guarded.

Once I begin the mechanics of the shots, the calculations have already been made.
And it is pure mechanics and mental state from that point on.
Well right now all the strategy, planning, practice, personnel etc has to go into the offensive play of this team. 51 points on 72 shots is total offensive ineptness. Stanford only gets 68 shots scores 78 points. If you look at all the other stats we either are better or very close. Of course scoring is the only stat that counts and we are very deficient with this team.

It’ll be the same story next year as well, we get Zaay back, and 2 mediocre recruits, not enough to compete at a high level.

Kellie and her staff have to make a splash in 2021 in regards to recruiting or it’ll be a short stay for her on Rocky Top. I don’t think this program knows what patience is, we’re a “storied” program, we should be back in the mix within 5 years, if Kellie was the right hire.

In basketball, one player can make a big difference. If Zaay has a good recovery from her injury (and we should not minimize the set back of the injury and losing probably 9 months of basketball work), the team will have 3 scoring threats in Zaay, Rennia, and presumably a more consistent and polished Jordan. IF the LVs had Zaay, for example, last night, they would have had a scorer on the court when Davis got into foul trouble. Right now, there is no Plan B for when Rennia is not on the floor (and why Kellie subs Jordan out in those situation is hard to understand).

And we can anticipate some further improvement in Key, Burrell's and Massengill's offensive games. (I am not saying that will become offensive forces but I think the team will be able to rely on them for more consistent scoring).

Will that be enough to let them compete at a high level? It is a very fair question. But i think that set of players have potential to become a very strong, cohesive unit. But it is again, knife edge, one injury to one of the big three (Zaay, Jordan, and Rennia) and the whole thing collapses.

Last edited:
well, that was embarrassing --- can a coach teach mental toughness, or does it have to be recruited?
Lets look atthis squad. It is loaded with Freshemn players who are new to the big stage. They lost their leading scorer to ACL surgery. They are learning a new offense and defense. This team has a lot to overcome an they will get better with age and experience. Most of the Freshmen are still getting into good physical condition. It is unreasonable to assume that they would come close to beating the #1 ranked team in the Country on the road. We will just have to see how eell they recact to coaching when the SEC conference games start. Losing Zay was a big blow to this very young and inexperienced team.

In basketball, one player can make a big difference. If Zaay has a good recovery from her injury (and we should not minimize the set back of the injury and losing probably 9 months of basketball work), the team will have 3 scoring threats in Zaay, Rennia, and presumably a more consistent and polished Jordan. IF the LVs had Zaay, for example, last night, they would have had a scorer on the court when Davis got into foul trouble. Right now, there is no Plan B for when Rennia is not on the floor (and why Kellie subs Jordan out in those situation is hard to understand).

And we can anticipate some further improvement in Key, Burrell's and Massengill's offensive games. (I am not saying that will become offensive forces but I think the team will be able to rely on them for more consistent scoring).

Will that be enough to let them compete at a high level? It is a very fair question. But i think that set of players have potential to become a very strong, cohesive unit. But it is again, knife edge, one injury to one of the big three (Zaay, Jordan, and Rennia) and the whole thing collapses.
Davis could very easily go Pro. And unless we get a recruit or grad transfer in at PG I don’t see much change. When Burrell and Massengill graduate they will be the same as they were when they came in! Key has so much upswing I see her being a force. Zaay needs to work on fundamentals but can get better but still not the answer needed at PG.

Nobody expected a win, but 27 point beatdowns in this program are unacceptable.
Sadly these days they seem pretty acceptable... our once proud lady basketball team has slowly slid into oblivion. Expectations have already been dramatically dropped over the past 4 or 5 years, we are just another team now in a sport where we once were the most proud, historic program around.

This team is still in transition. I think the early wins raised expectations. I still think the Lady Vols will make some noise this year and beyond. They have to adjust to everything new.....a complete staff turnover is a hard thing to bounce back from. This is a learning year for those girls. They will be much better in the last half of the season...IMO.

Successful offense all starts and ends with the PG position! That is the QB of the team and needs to be not only skilled but must be the one player that the team needs to count on to get the offense started! If we had a real good PG and a quality reserve JM would be a backup wing player. But sadly we don’t. It’s not her fault she is just being asked to do something she can’t do vs good teams.
I really don’t see Jaz as the problem. I think she’s fairly consistent. She needs to take care of the ball more and get more confident, but that will take time. If she gets comfortable knocking down 10 to 12 ft consistently she will be super special.

I still think the substitution pattern sucks and will until were leaving some valuable players on the floor with the bench players. I know were in for a gashing when KK, Harris,Rennie all enter the game together. Our best lineup is Davis, Horston, Massengill, Burrell, and Key JMO or KK for Burrell if you like a bigger lineup. I'm not at all excited that were gonna get much from Harris, Brown, Rennie or McCoy so they just need to fill in for a rest break. I still think Emily gives more when she plays than Harris or McCoy but since she is a non factor the the coaches want mention her again.

Reactions: Nute Gunray

2 new recruits, and another year experience for the players now!!!!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
when they finish near the botttom of the sec standings this year and next, i wonder how many will still support kellie as coach..looks like nc state all over again to me...

when they finish near the botttom of the sec standings this year and next, i wonder how many will still support kellie as coach..looks like nc state all over again to me...

That is a way premature assessment. Contrary to early season assessments, this team is not LOADED with talent, particularly after the loss of Zaay.

That is a way premature assessment. Contrary to early season assessments, this team is not LOADED with talent, particularly after the loss of Zaay.

exactly and that is why i think even the lower tier sec teams like florida and ole will compete and possibly beat tennessee this year

The lady vols need more movement in their sets on offense. Harris and Brown should be used to set picks to get players in areas to make easy shots. Rotation should include about eight players. Start KEY DAVIS BURRELL HORSTON SAUNDERS. USE KK HARRIS AND JAZZ, AND MAYBE RENNIE OFF BENCH.

Reactions: PG1
The lady vols need more movement in their sets on offense. Harris and Brown should be used to set picks to get players in areas to make easy shots. Rotation should include about eight players. Start KEY DAVIS BURRELL HORSTON SAUNDERS. USE KK HARRIS AND JAZZ, AND MAYBE RENNIE OFF BENCH.
Yes, Coach Kellie needs a radical turnabout in her coaching philosophy to bring the LVs back to elite status.

I know this is premature and maybe not giving Coach Kellie a chance but I wish AD Fulmer and his advisors were willing to consider hiring a non Lady Vol coach like Cori Close of UCLA. Also, I liked Courtney Banghart from Princeton and now North Carolina. However, she would have been a controversial hire. However, I wish Coach Kellie all the success in the world.

Reactions: VolBalls33

VN Store

Back