Game Thread: (23/24) Lady Vols at (RV/NR) Alabama

I w
Marta was a lot quicker when she was playing in Spain. She looks a lot heavier something like 15 pounds. She was never quick enough to guard a player like Walker but she certainly was more capable than she is now. To play in the SEC as a starter Marta is needing to get more physically fit and it can't happen this season so hopefully over the summer she will get it done.
I was reluctant to say that because others have been roasted for saying she is overweight ....but to me that is the major part of her problem in lack of quickness and speed .

Winning the next two would drive the critics to their knees.
Winning the next two would drive me to my knees in shock and gratitude. Would also make the epic meltdown against Georgia all the more frustrating.
To play in the SEC as a starter Marta is needing to get more physically fit and it can't happen this season so hopefully over the summer she will get it done.
I had a family member who worked in LV strength and conditioning during the glory years. She said it takes two seasons to get a player in top SEC shape. Sadly, some never get there. I have great hope Marta can and will do it.

Marta was a lot quicker when she was playing in Spain. She looks a lot heavier something like 15 pounds. She was never quick enough to guard a player like Walker but she certainly was more capable than she is now. To play in the SEC as a starter Marta is needing to get more physically fit and it can't happen this season so hopefully over the summer she will get it done.

You see that, I see that, but ....

Reactions: lfvol
I 100% cop to snowflake status on this one. Plus total selfishness. Its not about cupcakes or schedules or coaches or kneeling or anything but the crappy way getting drilled by UConn will make me feel right now. And the 99.9% chance that's exactly what will happen. If it doesn't, I'll be happy to have been a nervous nelly. But for now, I just don't want to see Geno crushing us under his heel on the Summitt.

I feel the same way when I think we will lose to him but then I think we might put it together and play well. It will be interesting to see the effect of coaching and where the players are mentally on Sunday. I think everyone knows the bar is always set really high for Tennessee so every loss brings out the negative frustrated posts and we get known LV haters starting negative threads and trying to dominate the narrative. Same thing happened with Warlick. It's faster now because the process and key posters are the same. There will always be football posters floating in to stir up the locals. Some of our (alleged) fans want a house cleaning because the team didn't win two winnable games and are convinced the problem is about effort or social statements. Everyone has an opinion. Thats fine. Creating an albatross then hanging it around the necks of players seems counterintuitive.

I just wanna know how the hell are we gonna contain these 3??? Is Alabama's bench not a significant contributor in their games?

Reactions: Rickster
The team that started the Georgia game would be good with me. They defended well for long stretches. We have 3 scorers as well plus a post game to match them. The key will be how well the team is prepared mentally. The pressure will be on Alabama. Will the LV's come out mad and overwhelming or a step slow and not playing the ball? Our team leadership has to take charge both on and off the court. Rennia needs to take the shot. Not the 30 footers rather 15 feet and in. Drive and draw fouls. Rebound. Our offense needs to stop stagnating while someone dribbles out front waiting for someone to break open. When the defense locks Rennia down, the other four on the floor has to make them pay. One defender can't stop Rennia so she will draw two defenders leaving a 4 on 3 situation. We have to be able to win those situations every time. Championship teams win them.

As God is my witness, I would never have believed 5 years ago that a game against Alabama would stir worry. Just another indicator of how far we fell.

read that half of Jasmine walker 20+ points against Mississippi State was from the free throw line

read that half of Jasmine walker 20+ points against Mississippi State was from the free throw line
I saw that game and two things allowed for that. One, she was getting past MSST's perimeter defenders at will and two, the MSST post players were weak providing help defense because she kept burning them with dump offs to the Alabama posts. So either she was getting fouled on the drive or fouled on the shot. She had a similar output against SC. She was really hard for them to stop, and both teams were defending her with pretty good guards.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Unlike Spain most American foods are laced with sugar to help make them sell. Leaving off sugar is the quickest way to slim down (other than starvation.) Skipping rope
and running track would help Marta. As an athlete she probably could go right into easy intervals with rapid advancement into more difficult ones. This gets quicker results and is not so boring as distance running. But a sound base is needed. Exercise of her hands would be a helpful project. Will she remain in school this summer?

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I just wanna know how the hell are we gonna contain these 3??? Is Alabama's bench not a significant contributor in their games?

Best team they have ever had. Some of those teams that beat us in the past when Holly was coach were crap and we just didn't come to play. This team can beat us if we play well so game is a tossup and could be a lot like the last two we've played. Would do me good to see Rennia burn them again on the last play of the game from 30 feet. Of course let's be tied this time. I don't need to much drama.

I 100% cop to snowflake status on this one. Plus total selfishness. Its not about cupcakes or schedules or coaches or kneeling or anything but the crappy way getting drilled by UConn will make me feel right now. And the 99.9% chance that's exactly what will happen. If it doesn't, I'll be happy to have been a nervous nelly. But for now, I just don't want to see Geno crushing us under his heel on the Summitt.

Crushing this Post CPHS era of the LVs is not bragging rights. Have you seen the teams we've lost to over the last decade? The only thing that would be hard to take is Westbrook having a monster game. I like Westbrook but it would make me angry at the LV program from the AD on down.

When is the game?

Crushing this Post CPHS era of the LVs is not bragging rights. Have you seen the teams we've lost to over the last decade? The only thing that would be hard to take is Westbrook having a monster game. I like Westbrook but it would make me angry at the LV program from the AD on down.

When is the game?
January 21st

Reactions: BreatheUT
I hope the UConn game is cancelled. I know this is cruel but it is realistic. A 30 to 40 points beatdown will not help the Lady Vols. They have problems, like too many turnovers, that need to be corrected before playing a team like UConn.
They have several problems but one Very Big Problem

The crazy thing about vol team I don’t think the ladies truly understand their own potential. It’s like everyone else can realize but them and that’s a bigger issue than people realize and it’s quite difficult to coach. I feel as though Marta should come of the bench vs the tide and jordan walker should start to hound Lewis on defense and jordan Horston should match up with walker of bama. Copeland can be pushed off the block and easy to get in foul trouble with taller post. Turn bama into a two point totally ice the threes buy run2-1-2 match up zone shift the floater defender over on help side and through in some traps in the weak corners that ever player loves to run to. This want be an easy game but it’s well in reach for the Vols.

The crazy thing about vol team I don’t think the ladies truly understand their own potential. It’s like everyone else can realize but them and that’s a bigger issue than people realize and it’s quite difficult to coach. I feel as though Marta should come of the bench vs the tide and jordan walker should start to hound Lewis on defense and jordan Horston should match up with walker of bama. Copeland can be pushed off the block and easy to get in foul trouble with taller post. Turn bama into a two point totally ice the threes buy run2-1-2 match up zone shift the floater defender over on help side and through in some traps in the weak corners that ever player loves to run to. This want be an easy game but it’s well in reach for the Vols.

I want Rae on bama-Walker. She is much more of a Dennis Rodman type of defender, and that is what it will take to keep Walker from getting into a groove...#theworm

VN Store

Back