Game Thread: #23/23 Lady Vols versus #3/5 UCONN

Geno adjusted with a speedier team and we didn't counter
we could have, but we stayed with what we've been doing all season
At one point, Geno went to the quicker line up, and we had Rennie, Lou, Key, Davis and Burrell...Jaz and JH on the bench
I couldn't even sit in my recliner at that point...I actually went to the back bedroom and grabbed a pillow off the bed and primal-screamed into the pillow... when I got back to the living room the announcer said it was a 16-5 run,,,,I went back to look for that pillow

So? All good coaches leave the game and go scream into a pillow?

The poster is on this board because they have a right to be and want to state an opinion concerning coach's substitution patterns. That same opinion has been voiced by many on this board though not so to the point. And, who appointed you as chairman of the Censorship Committee?
Pay attention. That Oregon troll is here to make nasty comments in every thread he’s in.

One of the core attributes of EVERY UConn tram is conditioning. One of the drawbacks to continuously rotating players out to “keep legs fresh” is they don’t get into a flow of the game as easily.

UConn started the second half with intense defense and essentially kept it up for the whole half. Our girls were gasping for air theirs were smiling and team building

Step # 1. Get in better shape

That said this team with lesser talent did better in this game than the recent past teams with more talent would have done and we owe that to Coach

With respect to post players it’s generally accepted that they take longer to develop than guards. Why can’t we appreciate we now have a coach who will graduate players who will have developed their skills over their 4 years?

Coach is playing the hand she was dealt. She’ll do better when she recruits better “hands”. This game is a win for the Lady Vols with respect to recruiting. A lot of people watched this game

Yep Geno must have talked to the refs, although KK brought the ball down and has a bad handle. She got what I call pester fouled a lot especially 2nd half. I'm sure Geno had a talk with the refs and found out how far he could take it. Some nights those are fouls some nights it's not according to refs and some refs are intimidated by coach and i'd say Geno lit in to these refs in passing at the half. Then went in locker room and lit in to UC players.

what an uninformed stupid post. We got our asses handed to us in the second half pure and simple with killer disruptive defense

Geno adjusted with a speedier team and we didn't counter
we could have, but we stayed with what we've been doing all season
At one point, Geno went to the quicker line up, and we had Rennie, Lou, Key, Davis and Burrell...Jaz and JH on the bench
I couldn't even sit in my recliner at that point...I actually went to the back bedroom and grabbed a pillow off the bed and primal-screamed into the pillow... when I got back to the living room the announcer said it was a 16-5 run,,,,I went back to look for that pillow

Lou Brown played way to much last night she was useless on both ends of the floor. Burrell needs to replace her in the lineup. How many time will Brown pass up a shot and oh my god could not guard anyone. As for Key she was not good last night played to soft, But i think she knows and will learn from this.

I agree. When neither Tamari nor Kasi were getting it done, I kept hoping that Kellie would give Jaiden and Emily at LEAST a minute each to see what might happen. I am extremely disappointed for them that they weren’t given a shot since the other two obviously weren’t having any success at all. I mean, seriously. Like you said, how could Jaiden or Emily have done any worse. I am hurting for Jaiden, whom I think especially deserved a shot given how hard she has played in recent games. :(

I’m sure Kellie will lose tons of sleep worrying over me being upset with her not playing Jaiden or Emily. lol

Lvocd, I am with you re: centers. If your player is not getting it done, you go to the bench and "next player up". I remember Vic Shaefer (sp) when he played SC recently, and his centers were in foul trouble. He went right down the line until all his centers had 2 fouls in the first half. This scenario is different from your thoughts, but go to next player up. Do you remember Lou Gehrig?

Reactions: lvocd
The bad thing about the game except losing is that we have to get ready for LSU a much more important game in three days while they had a week off to get ready to play us. I am sure they are getting their pressure ready to force us into that 20 plus turnover game. I fear this could be our first SEC loss at home if we can't find a way to take care of the ball or force as many turnovers as we commit.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Jaz is a point guard but not at the level to win championships. She can't handle the ball in traffic yes she can run team and has improved greatly from last year.
We will have to agree to disagree. I think she makes smart decisions, takes care of the ball pretty well and is a good floor general. She needs to take more open looks, but overall I’m thrilled with her progress and I believe she can take us to the next level.

We will have to agree to disagree. I think she makes smart decisions, takes care of the ball pretty well and is a good floor general. She needs to take more open looks, but overall I’m thrilled with her progress and I believe she can take us to the next level.
Totally agree 89 assists and only 29 turnovers which is awesome. If every player on the team had just 29 turnovers in 19 games we wouldn't be sitting with four losses on the season. Only 1.52 turnovers per game.

Were still at only 17.2 turnovers per game as a team but were not playing cupcakes anymore and that total is elevating. Opponents only committing 13.3 so that needs to improve dramatically need to force opponents into more turnovers.

Lou Brown played way to much last night she was useless on both ends of the floor. Burrell needs to replace her in the lineup. How many time will Brown pass up a shot and oh my god could not guard anyone. As for Key she was not good last night played to soft, But i think she knows and will learn from this.
If Burrell starts and plays more she will be in foul trouble and out turnovers will increase. She is not consistent. Maybe it will come as she matures.

When you are turning the ball over at this rate it's hard to critique the game. I would start by challenging them to play a game at whatever speed is necessary to reduce the turn overs to a normal rate, then start speeding it back up game by game. Until the TO's are reduced nothing else can be corrected.

Have to disagree. Lou did a lot of good things. Hit a three, took charges, 3 assists, 6 rebounds, stole the ball, set screens, hustled and got on the floor. Her lack of mobility hurts at times, and she probably is playing through a lot of pain, but her fierce heart is a great asset. And she plays smart.

She may have played more minutes than her leg warrants, but she did contribute on both ends.

Have to disagree. Lou did a lot of good things. Hit a three, took charges, 3 assists, 6 rebounds, stole the ball, set screens, hustled and got on the floor. Her lack of mobility hurts at times, and she probably is playing through a lot of pain, but her fierce heart is a great asset. And she plays smart.

She may have played more minutes than her leg warrants, but she did contribute on both ends.

She provides the experience that we desperately need.

Yep Geno must have talked to the refs, although KK brought the ball down and has a bad handle. She got what I call pester fouled a lot especially 2nd half. I'm sure Geno had a talk with the refs and found out how far he could take it. Some nights those are fouls some nights it's not according to refs and some refs are intimidated by coach and i'd say Geno lit in to these refs in passing at the half. Then went in locker room and lit in to UC players.

So, in essence you are telling us that the UConn coach did what any good coach should try to do, and that he did it very effectively. Maybe effective coaching has something to do with 12 FFs in a row?

PS- He was very complimentary to Kellie in both pre- and postgame interviews.

There were fouls not called both ways all game long. If you think the reason we got ran over in the 2nd half was due to refs then you watched the wrong game.
It wasn't the only reason, but it definitely contributed. If the team on defense can lay on top of the team with the ball without getting called for it, it makes it slightly more difficult to make a good pass.

McCoy and Saunders would have been as useless as KK and Cam in this game. If UCONN would have pressured us more in the 1st half this game would have gotten ugly fast and we might have had 35 TO’s. So who on their team could KK, Cam, McCoy, Saunders and even Key guard? When the ball was in any our Posts hand it was like taking candy from a baby.
They didn't get into the game. So you dont know. What we all know is that KK and Kam didn't perform up to expectations. They were a liability.

They didn't get into the game. So you dont know. What we all know is that KK and Kam didn't perform up to expectations. They were a liability.
I see your point but when the game became high pressured track meet the 6 players UCONN was moving in and out put us at a liability on both sides of the floor. You can zone because they were beating our bigs down the floor and man to man there was no one out posts could run with. Again maybe play more people but our choices at Post are slow.

VN Store

Back