Game Thread: #23/23 Lady Vols versus #3/5 UCONN

The only hope Tn has for a victory tonight is if ?
We start a prayer chain? No, seriously, to me the biggest thing is protect the basketball, rebound and play stellar defense. But that's part of the winning formula for every game that's ever been played, eh?

Uconn I'm sure is ready for this game. They our not as loaded a team and can be beaten tonight but finally they our playing a good team at home Crystal is from Blackman in Murfreesboro she will be ready I just believe their perimeter game will be to much. But I do believe Key and KK have a chance to help us upset them. Keep turnovers to 12 or less for the game and make it ugly and physical.

I'll be at the game, ready to cheer on our LVs in a sea of UConn fans!

I'm interested to see how our defense does in this game. In the past, UConn would backdoor the heck out of our overly aggressive man defense, but that doesn't seem to be Kellie's style. Our steals are way down this year (5.9/game compared to 7.9 last year and 8.7 the year before that)...but our FG% defense is dramatically down: 31% this year compared to 42% last year and 38% the year before that.

I'll be at the game, ready to cheer on our LVs in a sea of UConn fans!

I'm interested to see how our defense does in this game. In the past, UConn would backdoor the heck out of our overly aggressive man defense, but that doesn't seem to be Kellie's style. Our steals are way down this year (5.9/game compared to 7.9 last year and 8.7 the year before that)...but our FG% defense is dramatically down: 31% this year compared to 42% last year and 38% the year before that.

We will have a size and physicality advantage at almost every position tonight. If we can limit our turnovers and force them to take tough, contested shots over our length we have a shot. Going to have to get back in transition and make them play over us, no easy baskets.

All the Connies think Dangerfield will have a big game because it’s against her home state school. I think UT might have something special for her tonight though. At 5’5” she is almost a foot shorter than our average lol. I expect Jazz will be on her most of the game so she will have a 7” advantage on her. She’s an excellent player, but I think she’s physically outmatched tonight. I hope we post her up some as well, there are almost 0 players on our roster she can guard in the paint. Run the screen and roll, force the switch and punish her all night.

We have even more size than Baylor and Baylor’s length really bothered them. ONO was totally ineffective (Cox is a stellar defender though) and the rest of the team shot well below their average percentage.

Outside of Baylor they haven’t played any teams with size so it isn’t something they have had a chance to adapt to in live games this season. They have played a weaker than usual schedule due to a down year for teams like CAL, Ohio State and ND.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I haven't felt these feeling since my first year at Gordon Lee HS....Specifically the day Johnny and me met at the "creek" after school in the 9th grade for a fight

Reactions: gule
In the past, UConn would backdoor the heck out of our overly aggressive man defense, but that doesn't seem to be Kellie's style.
]
This. I have a deep emotional scar a decade later for each of the numerous times they have backdoored the hell out of us. I was always dismayed that we never seemed to adjust. But Geno isn't Geno for nothing. He'll adjust if we don't overplay.
If we can limit our turnovers
From your keyboard to the basketball God's ears. This is the whole ball of wax, both for this game and the rest of the season. Better decision-making, which hopefully is developing with game experience and practice teaching for our younguns.

Reactions: VolBall09
Who for UConn would equal Zaay Green and would UConn win without her vs UT?

Re: gule's question...I wondered mysrlf if CONN was missing any significant players (other than Westbrook). I was reading a BY comment somewhat defending Kellie that mentioned the two transfers but neglected to mention that we lost a starter and dependable scorer (and another ball handler) for the season. We've not been at full strength since early in the season.

Reactions: VolBall09 and lvocd
win-png.255985

To win this game we have to do two things:

1. Bring our first half defense against Bama - just as tough and physical, no easy shots, not even one.
2. We MUST emphasize getting a "good" shot (not a "perfect" shot) on every offensive possession. This means no TOs.

As a big underdog, I like using the 3 ball as the great equalizer. I want Davis and Horston to shoot at least 5 threes in the first half. Obviously Brown and Rennie should shoot the 3 whenever they can get one off. Massengill and Burrell have the green light on open threes too. I don't think we'll be successful posing up, so if the posts want it, they'll have to rebound it.

To win this game we have to do two things:

1. Bring our first half defense against Bama - just as tough and physical, no easy shots, not even one.
2. We MUST emphasize getting a "good" shot (not a "perfect" shot) on every offensive possession. This means no TOs.

As a big underdog, I like using the 3 ball as the great equalizer. I want Davis and Horston to shoot at least 5 threes in the first half. Obviously Brown and Rennie should shoot the 3 whenever they can get one off. Massengill and Burrell have the green light on open threes too. I don't think we'll be successful posing up, so if the posts want it, they'll have to rebound it.

Bombs away,,,oops missed,,,next bomb

Take it to the hoop and exploit their only center then hit the middle-paint when they pack it in to help her...shoot the three after you get separation

Jacking up threes for the sake of doing so is a what weaker teams do
Threes are A weapon, not THE weapon

@Coach Jumper
Thank you so much for the UCON scouting report in the OP. I've not seen them play this year. The stats and insight provided are perfect to get me ready for this game.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
Re: gule's question...I wondered mysrlf if CONN was missing any significant players (other than Westbrook). I was reading a BY comment somewhat defending Kellie that mentioned the two transfers but neglected to mention that we lost a starter and dependable scorer (and another ball handler) for the season. We've not been at full strength since early in the season.

Yes, if we’d had Zaay Green like we were supposed to, I think we would have only one loss on the season so far (to Stanford) and would have a much better chance of giving CT a real test. Green’s quickness is obvious in her ability to defend faster opponents and in her knack for getting out for the fast break. And that amazing pull-up jumper from about 10 feet? THAT sure would have been a serious help for this season!

Reactions: Nute Gunray
We should win this year we really are just better and deeper! 15 point win won’t surprise me. Get them this year because they will be loaded next year! Us 80-them 65

Take it to the hoop and exploit their only center then hit the middle-paint when they pack it in to help her

I hear you, but with this team, I feel like that is a recipe for 20+ TOs. Let's create the space needed to drive to the hoop by making it rain early from 3. Call specific plays to get the right players some open "good" threes.

I also have a theory that you shoot the ball best early in each half, before fatigue and rough play affect your shot. That's just a personal theory, no data to back that up.

I've never posted here but have lurked for awhile. I think you have a chance to win and will be rooting for you. I have seen UConn play some ugly offensive basketball this year. This is not your normal UConn team that rolls over people. They could be exposed playing you, Oregon, and Louisville (I think they play Louisville right?).

VN Store

Back