Game Thread: #22/23 TENNESSEE VS. MISSOURI

This is a really good analysis, Volfan2012, however, I don't think Coach Kellie will implement this stategy. She prefers to give her players equal minutes, more or less, depending on the player. She does this to keep fresh legs for defense and rebounding. She said this as a fact in one of her post or pre game interviews.
I hope her plan turns out best in the end and all the players get up to playing at a high level. I feel like it cost us the Texas game because when they came in the second quarter we got down 12 in just a few minutes and even though we recovered from that in the second half if we'd stayed even in that part of the game that run we made would have meant a 10 to 12 point lead and probably a win. Hopefully we win enough to get in the NCAA and when we do her plan will mean we have 10 or 11 solid players with no down turn in ability when we sub.

Reactions: Nute Gunray
Rae will get plenty of PT..... Some are better off chilling a bit before they are turned loose! She is capable of hurting herself or her own teammates with her break neck aggressiveness. If she started the game ???? I am not sure her game might explode like a Tasmanian Devil bouncing off every player on the floor while she heads to our goal with her head down and all torpedoes firing !!!

Seriously though.... she is pretty much the first substitute in the game . Her decisions are her weakness and the saying of let the game come to you is not in her vocabulary as of yet ! She will eventually learn that going 100 mph is not a wise thing to do ... Basketball has a finesse part of the game as any one that has played this game knows . Every team has that player that needs the ball in their hands when the game is on the line ! Rae is not ready for this yet ! JMO

She has two more years after this year ..... She is going to be special ! And as I have said before : “ Rae Burrell was the steal of this class “!

I will always think you start your best five players and Burrell is one of the best five. She plays well with Horston and Davis and it gives you three players that can drive the ball or shoot the jump shot. If she is coming off the bench the rest of this season then she needs to be in there a lot of minutes with Horston and Davis those three make things happen together with Massengill at point and Key in the post. The argument I have for Burrell starting is that she a better scorer and rebounder than Brown and really complements Davis and Horston as a trio. Of course I like to have three of Horston, Massengill, Key, Burrell, or Davis in the game at all times. I would like to see all five of those players logging close to 30 minutes a game. I think the top two subs seem to be KK and Rennie post and perimeter. The others Brown, McCoy, Harris, and Saunders have a lot to prove to be worthy of the minutes they are presently getting. Their contribution hasn't been in accordance with the minutes they are presently playing. Hopefully if they are going to get double digit minutes that will change.

Think about that lineup again:
Horston, Massengill, Key, Burrell , Davis
Awesome!

My belief is that if Rae started she would play more under control and be more willing to "let the game come to her"...here's my thought:

Right now,, Rae comes into the game to provide a spark...It is her only chance to show her ability to impact, so she tries to do too much and tends to force the game a little.
If she started, she wouldn't have to feel like she has to carry the load or make something happen every time she enters the games. Watch the starters when they walk on court. They are mostly "sure of their spot" so all they have to do is be who they are. Rae is trying to be more than who she is.

ALL 6th-man players have to have that mindset. This is why the position is so hard to fill and so hard to keep a player there.
Most players love the initial role of 6th man, but most of them want to become 5th, 4th,,,,,,,1st...aka starters.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Of course, a MIZZOU team that hasn’t been able to hit the broadside of a barn all season is shooting 70% from 3 so far 🙄

Reactions: travis929

VN Store

Back