Game Thread: #22/23 TENNESSEE AT NO. 13/13 KENTUCKY

Our defense was a let down today. Everything we got on offense was a struggle. If not for the free throw line efficiency today it would have been well out of reach. To have played like that and only lost by 4 is actually surprising.

Kentucky has one player you can’t let go off, and we didn’t make her uncomfortable even once all night.

howard with a career night my goodness..team ya had one job and that was not let howard go off like she did..turnovers didnt help either

Still early in the season but this was a bad loss.

Bad loss in terms of a failure to play like a team and secure victory in a winnable matchup, definitely. But Kentucky will be no worse than a Q1 4 seed in the tournament, so it’s not as if this is a black mark on the Lady Vols resume.

Just gotta win out until their trip to the XL Center!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Hmmmm, giving away a gajillion 3 pointers, career night against them, 200 turnovers, coming out of halftime completely flat. Seems like an ongoing Holly ball saga. Wish that my team had the fight In them to win.

Does Tennessee specifically look for recruits that cannot shoot? Why does every team in Division I have multiple players that are good 3 point shooters whilst Tennessee has zero. It’s like watching the Chicago Bears and their perpetual lack of a quarterback. 100 years of football, not one good quarterback.

Our defense was a let down today. Everything we got on offense was a struggle. If not for the free throw line efficiency today it would have been well out of reach. To have played like that and only lost by 4 is actually surprising.

Kentucky has one player you can’t let go off, and we didn’t make her uncomfortable even once all night.
They had an exceptional game shooting the three some we should have prevented but a few they hit were well guarded. I think we'll be a better team than they are by the SEC Tourney got to stop the crazy turnovers and over passing.

Hmmmm, giving away a gajillion 3 pointers, career night against them, 200 turnovers, coming out of halftime completely flat. Seems like an ongoing Holly ball saga. Wish that my team had the fight In them to win.

Does Tennessee specifically look for recruits that cannot shoot? Why does every team in Division I have multiple players that are good 3 point shooters whilst Tennessee has zero. It’s like watching the Chicago Bears and their perpetual lack of a quarterback. 100 years of football, not one good quarterback.
76 points on 61 shots is excellent offense this game was lost because of excessive turnovers and failure to defend very well.

Bad loss in terms of a failure to play like a team and secure victory in a winnable matchup, definitely. But Kentucky will be no worse than a Q1 4 seed in the tournament, so it’s not as if this is a black mark on the Lady Vols resume.

Just gotta win out until their trip to the XL Center!
Exactly. Tennessee is the kind of team that UK should be dead in the water against, but the rebounding margin was negligible and Tennessee's posts were mostly invisible.

Although not technically a bad loss, it's a disappointing loss against a decent team that they matched up well against. As it stands, Tennessee has zero good wins and has lost to every team with a pulse that they've played so far. They need a lot of work...

One thing I hope this staff can correct is I am tired of watching seemingly “lesser” recruits from TN show up on our opponents roster and seemingly look better than any player on our team. That has to stop...

To lose to a team that relies so heavily on one player is very telling. For this team right now, losing is just one of two possible outcomes that might end a game. Competitive pride is still elusive for these players.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Seemed like more than a 4 point loss. But it could have been a good road win if not for some hot shooting by KY, a few bad calls, inside passes instead of taking the short shot, and KK putting the ball on the floor every time it is in her hands. More high-low passes to Key might be productive.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
It was a winnable game, but not like losing to a horrible team. And we never quit and had a chance with under a minute to go. Always tough in Lexington.

Lot of teaching points for each player and for staff.

We can get better.

They can get better, but there are no positives with this loss. This was a game that Tennessee should have won.

The same is true for Tennessee. They have no consistent scoring outside of Davis.

Agreed and today our defense cost us the win. Rennia did her part offensively. If we even hold Howard to her average we win this ball game.

Gave up some easy points on weak side rebounds, too.

Really need to make life hard on star players. Not intentional, dirty fouls or goon play, but every shot should be contested...

with extreme prejudice.

Tenn could also try to pressure them a bit on defense. At no time did Kentucky look uncomfortable. Body them out of the paint. Do something to interior the flow. Can they do that or is Tennessee too slow/less mobile due to their size? For a team that hangs its hat on defense, they gotta figure something out.

VN Store

Back