Game Thread: #20 Lady Vols v #18 Fighting Irish, Home, Wed 5PM, ESPN2

Of course this is all conjecture, but Rickea is the team's go to player and security blanket for when the going gets tough. Jaz did her best to fill that role but got stuck in the trees a few times trying to make plays down the stretch.

We had hoped that Jewel could fill that role but not yet.

Rickea also changes the equation on the rebounding disparity, which Kellie noted.

But it was a game of fine margins. For me the critical play occurred late in the game. The LVs got a turnover, had a breakaway but Sara made a bad pass, which ND converted into a 3 (so what could have been a 7 pt. lead, and breathing room, became a nail biting two point game).
Will have to go back and look, but I believe she also missed a gimme layup near the end, which was highly important.

Reactions: madtownvol
Yeah but laying those losses on her is ridiculous, imo.
When I read these posts reference this topic I don’t understand anyone as saying they are laying any blame on RK for any loss. They are simply pointing out that for those who say the losses in her absence would have been guaranteed wins should not be so absolute in their claims because when she played in a loss this year it showed that a win is not automatic even with her playing her usual brilliant game. Nothing is ever certain until it is.

She doesn’t fight for position. Just gets pushed around. Rebound is a lot about position and will
100%….rebounding is attitude mixed with practiced technique and effort in boxing out. Let’s not forget that some players are more gifted in jumps and quickness etc, but even fairly average athletes can be great rebounders.

Rickea was supposed to beat Florida State on her own? A loss in which Tennessee exhibited zero defensive capability is Rickea's fault?
didnt say all on rickea what i am saying is in response to superwoman status if we had rickea we would win that is all

Btw, how many post recruits would think they’d get to play, when they saw Tamari, Jillian, and Striplin already here?
Any halfway decent one would have seen the opportunity for a lot of minutes. That would be an easy sell given it was doubtful whether Tamari would even return, and best case she would be a lesser version of herself. Jill does not have a post mentality, nor the build for it outside of her height. And Striplin is limited. There was very little production returning at that spot and Key is the only true center.

Will have to go back and look, but I believe she also missed a gimme layup near the end, which was highly important.
I will be watching the game again specifically looking for any layup (misses) contested or not.
Note: upon reviewing the game stat site for missed layups it says we missed a total of 8
Q13:4011 Karoline Striplin
Q13:3021 Tess Darby
Q34:001 Sara Puckett
Q33:0021 Tess Darby
Q32:3110 Destinee Wells
Q30:5615 Jasmine Powell
Q43:0615 Jasmine Powell
Q40:0510 Destinee Wells
It will be interesting to see if what they see and what I see are in sync
stay tuned ;o)

One big factor in our turnover rate is that the same lineup is never on the floor together. Basketball is chemistry, and a team with 7 players who each know their roles, where each other will be, and what sort of passes each player needs to receive will have fewer turnovers than one with 13 players cycling in and out in unique combinations.

One big factor in our turnover rate is that the same lineup is never on the floor together. Basketball is chemistry, and a team with 7 players who each know their roles, where each other will be, and what sort of passes each player needs to receive will have fewer turnovers than one with 13 players cycling in and out in unique combinations.
Yeah sometimes, but SC rotates players more than any team I think so sometimes it works…been that way under Staley for quite awhile, she spreads the minutes out, even Boston sat a bunch tbh.

Last edited:
Any halfway decent one would have seen the opportunity for a lot of minutes. That would be an easy sell given it was doubtful whether Tamari would even return, and best case she would be a lesser version of herself. Jill does not have a post mentality, nor the build for it outside of her height. And Striplin is limited. There was very little production returning at that spot and Key is the only true center.
Agree, but most of what you said is hind sight, I don’t think anyone could have predicted months ago what we know now.

Agree, but most of what you said is hind sight, I don’t think anyone could have predicted months ago what we know now.
The first half of the ballgame our girls were actually (finally) playing team ball & running some plays & looking really good; second half; especially 4th quarter it looked like to me there was alot of showboating going on;
everyone wanted to be the hero; gotta play team ball & need alot of high basketball IQ; has not been happening in most cases

Maybe makes more sense for you not to open the thread than to open it to tell people who obviously still want to discuss the game to move on?
Just doesn’t make sense to me to keep talking about a loss, i don’t stress losses anymore.

I just hope the coaches are putting in as much time/energy as this board does

If we all go home, cry and come back the next game, we as fans/supporters of the lady vols show the org that it wasn't important to win and we will wait for our next chance. We as fans become what the organization was becoming,,,ordinary, complacent, uninspired....Like our "lesser" opposition's fanbases

This is TN...Lady Vols...I will talk about the loss till the next win

I will be watching the game again specifically looking for any layup (misses) contested or not.
Note: upon reviewing the game stat site for missed layups it says we missed a total of 8
Q13:4011 Karoline Striplin
Q13:3021 Tess Darby
Q34:001 Sara Puckett
Q33:0021 Tess Darby
Q32:3110 Destinee Wells
Q30:5615 Jasmine Powell
Q43:0615 Jasmine Powell
Q40:0510 Destinee Wells
It will be interesting to see if what they see and what I see are in sync
stay tuned ;o)
I watched the game again to check my memory. What I found was this:

In the 3rd Qtr.:
5:24, Pass from Striplin to Sara, who shoots an air ball from about 2-3 feet from the basket

4:01, Pass from Striplin to Sara again at the basket, who tosses a shot toward the basket which overshoots the basket, slightly touching the far rim

3:40, Sara steals the ball, is driving down the floor, and throws a bad pass to Hidalgo, who passes to her own player for a layup, making the score TN 47- ND 40.

In the 4th Qtr.:

7:40, Score is TN 55- ND 54. Sara attempts a 3 point shot, and it’s an air ball. (This shot was about where the final shot was attempted.)

Sara had a run of poor play/decisions in the 3rd quarter. She was fighting hard. Under the basket, she needs to make her shots, not just toss them up with no finish.

Last edited:
We played 8 against ND.

Yeah, 31 pts, 17 rebs, 4 assists against what's turning out to be a legit Top 20 team. Shoulda done more. Who would miss that player?

This. KJH has said it several times. the LVs confidence in themselves changes when Rickea plays. And that's exactly what happened last night, they lost poise and confidence in themselves. Hell I lost confidence in them; I knew once ND caught up we were toast.

Seems like one of the hardest things to coach is poise and confidence esp when the wheels are coming off. Don't let it become a snowball rolling down the hill. Holly could never coach around the yips, KJH struggles w it as well. That's why the extra shot of confidence RJ brings is so essential to this team.

Also RJ's presence changes the whole way opposing teams design defenses for us. You think those coaches aren't dancing a happy dance not having to guard her? Planning the D around her leaves so much more room for Jewel and others to operate.

Of course having Rickea doesn't guarantee a win and yes we've lost with her. But I sure as sh*t like our chances alot better with her.
glv88 olivia miles missing from ND #4 in Classm per ESPN top 10 in hoopgurlz and we are playing at home it seems nobody fears playing us anymore

Rickea was supposed to beat Florida State on her own? A loss in which Tennessee exhibited zero defensive capability is Rickea's fault?
i just get tired of hearing the "if we had Rickea" excuse you play the hand you are dealt i think my intent was misinterpreted perhaps i should not have posted

VN Store

Back