• (Northwestern 110-52) #103
  • (Illinois 79-68) #72
  • (Chicago State 113-35) #359
  • (Ball State 90-59) #79

Masse picks ND 72-69
    Coach Jumper: Lady Vols 73-69

Last edited:
Thanks, Coach.

I guess the big question is, will Rickea Jackson play?

I saw a video of Olivia Miles getting shots up on twitter. I don’t if that means she’s cleared to practice, but we’ll see.

Regardless, this is a touch matchup. ND shoots the three ball well and we know that’s been TN defenses kryptonite this year. Defense will have to be ready. I’m hoping to see more Wynn on D and perhaps more Wells and Powell together. We’ll also have to protect the ball and limit TOs, their guards are pesky and will take from you in a split second.

I think if Rickea plays we’ve got a good shot. They cannot match up well with her.

View attachment 598460

• vs

• University of Notre Dame Logo

#18 Notre Dame
    Food City Center|Knoxville, TN
    ACC-SEC Women's Basketball Challenge
    Nov 29 (Wed)
    5:00 P.M. ET
    Notre Dame has Lost to one contender:
  • (South Carolina 100-71)
    and has beaten 5 non-contenders:
  • (New Jersey Institute of Technology 104-57) #296
  • (Illinois 79-68) #72
  • (Ball State 90-59) #79

Masse picks ND 72-69

LVs 75--ND 64

Remember Notre Dame lost Citron and haven’t played anyone that could beat a P5 team since she’s been out. I think that is a fair trade with no Rickea. (Obv Rickea provides more but)

If we just battle we should win

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Looks very close on paper with their top seven going for 73 a game and our top seven going for 75. This does not include Rickea in our top seven or Citron in theirs. They are hitting .394 from the three but have played five weaker teams in a row. Were at .326 suffering from some weak shooting from Darby who is usually around forty and Destinee who was over forty last season. If those two get it going and everyone else stayed the same were easily around 38 or 39 from the three. Doubt Rickea is playing and if she was how effective she would be after such a long layoff. For them don't think Citron will play if she does and no Rickea probably in trouble of losing this game. Stopping Hildago is the key she is averaging 25 a game hopefully we can slow her down from that average a bit.

Looks very close on paper with their top seven going for 73 a game and our top seven going for 75. This does not include Rickea in our top seven or Citron in theirs. They are hitting .394 from the three but have played five weaker teams in a row. Were at .326 suffering from some weak shooting from Darby who is usually around forty and Destinee who was over forty last season. If those two get it going and everyone else stayed the same were easily around 38 or 39 from the three. Doubt Rickea is playing and if she was how effective she would be after such a long layoff. For them don't think Citron will play if she does and no Rickea probably in trouble of losing this game. Stopping Hildago is the key she is averaging 25 a game hopefully we can slow her down from that average a bit.
I agree about Rickea likely being out but it remains a question. Day-to-day has turned into weeks during the most challenging part of the OOC schedule. Bad luck. I think Hildalgo will get hers, we’ll see how well the D can do in containing the rest.

I agree about Rickea likely being out but it remains a question. Day-to-day has turned into weeks during the most challenging part of the OOC schedule. Bad luck. I think Hildalgo will get hers, we’ll see how well the D can do in containing the rest.
What the LV's can't afford is letting Hidalgo come up with 6 or 7 steals that are converted into points seconds later.

What the LV's can't afford is letting Hidalgo come up with 6 or 7 steals that are converted into points seconds later.
Hoping turnovers won't be a factor as they average 16.5 and us 16.7 so hopefully that one stat favors no one unless for some reason it is us. Rebounding they are at 45 and were at 50. Hard to say how that is affected by Rickea on our side and Citron on their side. I would say it affects us more. We have a lot of inconsistent players who will be great for a game or two then disappear. The most consistent players we have seem to be Puckett and the injured Jackson. On their side Hildago has been consistent every game she has played then they have a couple like us that are great one game and not to much in others. Massey says we win by one I will take that and the pain that would go with watching it.

Day-to-day really means not a season ending injury. If she has a grade 1 calf strain, those can take 1-3 weeks to heal depending on multiple factors. Grade 2 can be 4-6 weeks. If it is a calf strain, I would guess about a month, which would mean she might be available around the MTSU game.

Crappy timing but better now than in the SEC and tournament part of the season.

Last edited:
Damn! They could always just be holding back, but probably not. Been so long now, almost 3 weeks, it's going to take some time to get back in shape. This is reminding me agonizingly of the Rae situation a couple of years ago.
Certainly looking to me like a high ankle sprain and those take weeks to heal. Tough on her looking to show the WNBA what she can do this season. Tough on us fans cause it makes games sometimes hard to watch.

The recovery time for a high ankle sprain depends on the severity of the injury, the extent of ligament damage, and other factors like age and weight. It can range from six weeks to six months or more12. A full ligament rupture may require a complex rehabilitation process and physical therapy2. If this is what it is could be a while.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Best news I have heard all day thank you.
Phil Fulmer used to say they remember what you do in November.
I would really be okay not seeing Rikea until conference play. We’ve got to learn to play/win without her and now is as good a time as any. We do not have an unwinnable game on our schedule.
If we don’t have a bad loss and strut our stuff with a dominant Rikea in Jan/Feb. the committee will take her early season absence into appropriate consideration.

View attachment 598518
View attachment 598460

• vs

• University of Notre Dame Logo

#18 Notre Dame
    Food City Center|Knoxville, TN
    ACC-SEC Women's Basketball Challenge
    Nov 29 (Wed)
    5:00 P.M. ETNotre Dame has Lost to one contender:
  • (South Carolina 100-71)
    and has beaten 5 non-contenders:
  • (New Jersey Institute of Technology 104-57) #296
  • (Illinois 79-68) #72
  • (Ball State 90-59) #79

Masse picks ND 72-69

Good luck to both teams tomorrow against Notre Dame and North Carolina.

Lady Volunteers 64-55 over Notre Dame.
Tennessee 81-73 over North Carolina.

Kellie Harper gives injury update on Lady Vols star Rickea Jackson ahead of Notre Dame matchup

For those with a paywall, there is a bit more context here. Kellie said it’s day to day so no change but that “…the boot was definitely off some”
Oh Sh*t, is that what she said? I heard off but not boot. At least that's some tiny progress.

I still don't think this is an acute injury like a high ankle sprain. Don't think that would be so apparently unpredictable day to day. I'm afraid this is a stress or usage injury. Really hate it for her.

False. There will be portal activity, you can bet on that.

This 100%. And while people are going to beat this notion through the ground… “they don’t need another Rickea Jackson” from the portal. Although we don’t yet know how Talaysia Cooper and Kaniya Boyd will fit with this team there’s multiple core pieces set to return and proven players with outstanding resumes that could take the extra COVID year of eligibility.

They just beat Oklahoma without Rickea J after beating two other teams.
I highly doubt every team on the schedule next season will be better than this years Top 25 Oklahoma team. So seeing what the team will look like without Rickea Jackson hasn’t been bad for the future.
Arguably, Oklahoma could end up being the best overall team TN has played up until this point outside of Indiana.

As for the portal, Tennessee will have options. Certain folks sit around here and pick apart these players like no other outside of Rickea Jackson.

Then you will look at a place like Social Media.. and see someone has a real Sports Page that ranks players production and they listed Jewel Spear as one of the Top 10 SGs, Karoline Striplin as one of the Top 5 players off the bench, and Rickea Jackson as the Top SF in the country.

I don’t get why people can’t support the ability of a really good player while also being able to acknowledge that there are several quality players on this roster.

Sara Puckett and Jasmine Powell are also playing some really good basketball.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back