Game Thread: (20/21) Lady Vols vs. Auburn

Just had time to watch game and one thing i dont understand> Why in the world is Kellie playing the starters with 7 minutes in the game and a 30 point lead? Any one of them except walker get injured and our tourney chance this week is out the window.

And if Kellie had subbed out and Auburn, as in the first half cut the lead, then the complaint would be "why did Kellie the break the flow of the team when we need to get ready for the tournaments?; why does this team have no killer instinct...."

Players can get hurt in practice (see Keyen Green), you can't coach out of "fear of injury"

I am sorry but is it possible to just enjoy a big lady vol win without some criticism of Kellie for not coaching the way the way the "all knowing" fan base would?

Yep I could sweet sixteen coming this year and maybe still will see it but definitely at home.

I think this team is more than capable of making the sweet 16. We have shot blocking force, two elite offensive players and Jordan H. finding her groove. If they can break the silly T0 habit, there is no reason for this team to not make the sweet 16.

We can really see the improvement of Kellie's second year team over her first. If there had been an NCAA tournament in 2020, I think the reasonable stance toward the LVs making the sweet 16 would have been "eh, maybe if they get just the right draw in the tournament and this and that." This season, we should be able to beat whoever lower we face in the opening two games.

Last edited:
Have watched a few times now! What a game. Auburn was outmatched, but we played our game all the way and didn’t play down to them. Something we’ve struggled with for a long time.

Kasi was a game changer. What a senior night for her! I love the way she was aggressive in looking for her shot. If teams leave her open for that 8-12ft jumper she needs to shoot it. Even if she misses there is a big chance we get the oboard anyway.

This was the best team basketball we have played since the Arkansas game. First game of the season we’ve had 5 players in double figures I think? Great balance offensively. Everyone made the extra pass and we took the easiest available shot on most of our possessions. When we do that we are really tough to play with, not just to beat, but to play with.

Great way to set ourselves up for the tournament. Positive finish to the regular season and tons of great play to look back at in that last game. Much different than the last two seasons where we were looking at everything we needed to fix still. Now we don’t need to fix things, we just need to play how we know we can!!!! Go Lady Vols, cut down those nets!

This is the most wide open the SEC has been in years and it’s the best conference in the country this season. No reason we can’t win it!! Could we get a 2 seed with an SEC tournament win???

This for me is one of the best plays we’ve made in a very long time. The movement, the passing, the focus and the finish. Everyone was locked in and made the best basketball play they could in the moment. I was out of my seat for this one.
Ya'll if JH continues to play like this . . ..

Congrats to the two Jordans (tho JW still had too many t.o.s) on indeed facilitating the best passing and ball movement the LVs have had in like, decades. To me the key to JH is to keep primary ball handling in JWs hands and let JH see stuff from the wing, which is where this pass came from, without ball handling pressure. This is the best I've ever seen JH play and I give her so much credit for fighting thru her demons. Please keep it up!

I'm really torn, but bc JH coming off the bench is working so well, and bc she's still getting 30+ mins, I think I'd leave well enough alone for the SEC tourney.

this games sets the tone for the post-season,,,I very much agree with going into the post season with a win and a game like this in our fore-mind...It is win or go home basketball from this point forward I too would finish the game in the way we started, if I started like we did...bc the next games we play,, we need to play like they played tonight and the way it looked when the reserves came in, is not the memory I want my team to go into "win-or-go-home playoff time"
that is all well and good but i can hear everyone and you included if Rae or Rennia or a big girl land on a foot of someone and have to be carted off the court! 7 minutes did not make us play better or worse in the next game.

Reactions: krichunaka
And if Kellie had subbed out and Auburn, as in the first half cut the lead, then the complaint would be "why did Kellie the break the flow of the team when we need to get ready for the tournaments?; why does this team have no killer instinct...."

Players can get hurt in practice (see Keyen Green), you can't coach out of "fear of injury"

I am sorry but is it possible to just enjoy a big lady vol win without some criticism of Kellie for not coaching the way the way the "all knowing" fan base would?
Well again if 7 min with a 30 point lead does not win the game we dont deserve it any way.

Reactions: krichunaka
EvWoMa7WYAER7KJ

Within 3yrs key will passed Candace Parker

Reactions: Nute Gunray
The game reminded me of the Pat Summit Sunday's when there was no pressure or angst .. just dominating...easy going no stress game to pass the time. This team CAN be really good...but games like the Georgia game worry me. They have these let down games way too often. Hard to see them going 4 or 5 games without another "let down game." We'll see. Hope for the best

This for me is one of the best plays we’ve made in a very long time. The movement, the passing, the focus and the finish. Everyone was locked in and made the best basketball play they could in the moment. I was out of my seat for this one.

It worked out and that was sweet little tap pass from Jordan H. (so the Horston to Key part of the play was brilliant). Before that, Rae got caught in a wicked trap and through up a desparation pass and lucked out because the guard marking Horston was small, otherwise that pass is a TO. It was good defense from Auburn but the LVs walked right into a literal trap. Something to learn from...

It worked out and that was sweet little tap pass from Jordan H. (so the Horston to Key part of the play was brilliant). Before that, Rae got caught in a wicked trap and through up a desparation pass and lucked out because the guard marking Horston was small, otherwise that pass is a TO. It was good defense from Auburn but the LVs walked right into a literal trap. Something to learn from...

Yes but that was part of the play that was great too. Rae got trapped but she didn’t panic and she didn’t turn the ball over. She stopped, looked for where the double came from and then made a wide open pass to Horston on the backside. Something we wouldn’t have accomplished a season ago.

Horston saw the defense shifting to her so made the tap pass to a cutting Key for the layup.

I'm really torn, but bc JH coming off the bench is working so well, and bc she's still getting 30+ mins, I think I'd leave well enough alone for the SEC tourney.

It's a no-brainer. For whatever reason, even going back to last season, Horston seems to perform better coming off the bench. I don't know why fans are wanting her back in the starting lineup...

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

VN Store

Back