Game Thread: #19/21 Lady Vols vs. #21/19 Indiana, FOX at 6 p.m. ET on Thanksgiving

This team has absolute alpha players in the mix. and you have to have an alpha coach to coach the alpha players. they will not respond to a Beta coach like they will an alpha even if the alpha is ian assistant.

My question is at that point, why keep Kellie. Is she just a figurehead
The head coach does not have to be an alpha, but there has to be an alpha in the organization.... Kelly can be an excellent head coach. But to get the best out of her alpha players, she will have to have an alpha coach and right now I'm not Seeing one on the court

The head coach does not have to be an alpha, but there has to be an alpha in the organization.... Kelly can be an excellent head coach. But to get the best out of her alpha players, she will have to have an alpha coach and right now I'm not Seeing one on the court
What have you seen that is evidence that Kellie can be an excellent head coach

Reactions: olddog and Ratvol
She did look lost and confused a few times.
Omg, that reminded me. There was one instance where Kellie was trying to explain something to Spear before an inbound play and Spear was holding her hands out as if she was confused. Spear kept looking back for more explanation I’m assuming and kept holding her hands out as if she still didn’t understand. It’s like, whatever Kellie was telling her, it just wasn’t registering for Spear!

the stress of knowing you're toast with RJ on the bench weighs heavily on one. We can't hit the broad side of a barn right now. So much talent on this team every year and the same early results. You have the ACC Player of the Year looking like Hellen Keller out there. I have no idea how this happens every year.
Maybe there really isn’t that much talent on this team.

What have you seen that is evidence that Kellie can be an excellent head coach
I honestly can't answer that. and that's tough for me. Because I want to back this coach one hundred Percent.

However, this is very, very difficult for me. Because we are such different personalities. I am a full 100% alpha coach. When I walk into a room I am the alpha in that room. I've coached 43 years and have had the same personality and it has worked for me ....you can't do something that long and do it wrong, you have to be good at what you do to do something 43 years. No matter what level of athlete you work with.

We are witnessing the destruction of Pat’s entire lifetime achievements for UT women’s basketball. Lady VOLS brand is disappearing

You're late to the party. Our brand got tarnished years ago. We've been poorly coached for 20 years. Pat Summitt herself
was not a good offensive coach--and that is a big reason for the team's problems for many years. We don't pass well--our assist/turnover
ration has been bad for many, many years. We had 8 assists tonight while Indiana had 20. That is an indication of poor player and ball movement, poor passing and shooting.

Why does Kellie think she has to let everyone play every game. You got players knocking shots down and is hot you don’t take them out to let someone else to just get to play that pisses me off

I agree.
I’ve seen it happen with Spear and she’s only played 5 games with this team. Seen it with Powell.
Striplin started slow but she was playing with tenacity.
Once she started making shots there was no reason to take her off the court with how the other post players had performed.

This team has absolute alpha players in the mix. and you have to have an alpha coach to coach the alpha players. they will not respond to a Beta coach like they will an alpha even if the alpha is ian assistant.

This is true.
This team definitely has 5 alpha players in the mix.
They sense the moment and have been mindful of representing Tennessee out of respect for the program.
The thing is, that works as long as you are winning.. more losing and things could go South quick.

RJ is the "leader" of the team rite?

So hurt or not ,she should be ripping her teammates during timeouts...that's what leaders do...

You're late to the party. Our brand got tarnished years ago. We've been poorly coached for 20 years. Pat Summitt herself
was not a good offensive coach--and that is a big reason for the team's problems for many years. We don't pass well--our assist/turnover
ration has been bad for many, many years. We had 8 assists tonight while Indiana had 20. That is an indication of poor player and ball movement, poor passing and shooting.
As they say. Better late than never

So hurt or not ,she should be ripping her teammates during timeouts...that's what leaders do...
I think that should be the case, but I don’t think that’s her personality from what I’ve seen. I know people hate Angel Reese on here but that’s one thing I do like about her, u always see her in her teammates ear and pumping them up and also telling them what to do.

Reactions: knoxvol52

I view RJ more as a freelancer. She is good enough that she can overcome poor coaching. Not sure we have anyone else that can

Spear was 0-4 in the first quarter, 2-2 in the 2nd quarter---and then took only 1 shot in the entire second half. How is that possible?
Absurd. She did not take a shot in the 3rd quarter, and was 0-1 in the 4th quarter. That's not how you win a basketball game without Jackson.

Spear didn't have a personal foul in the game. Wells had only 1. I haven't yet seen the game--but if you have two guards who played a lot of minutes in the game and yet had only 1 foul between, my takeaway is that they were not playing defense very well or aggressively. Guards who defend aggressively and well pick up fouls--fact. To have zero fouls, 1 foul, suggests not very aggressive defense by both of them.

Hollingshead is talented, and so for her to have only 3 shots in the game, making 1, and 3 points total for the game is also not how you win a basketball game without Jackson.

We have four or five players who have to play well and produce if we expect to compete with a solid good opponent without Jackson--and two of them, Spear and Hollingshead, scored 8 points total in the game.

Another factor contributing to the loss: We shot only 30 percent from the 3-line. Darby missing all 6 of her trey attempts was brutal.

Another factor: Why is it when we play solid/good opponents that we almost always play terribly in one of the first two quarters of the game? This is been a very noticeably pattern of our play under Harper in games like this--and we're often trailing significantly at the half. Get this: We were 4-22 in the first quarter. The Little Sisters of the Poor could play UConn or South Carolina and play/shoot better than that.

Finally, our recruiting has been comically terrible for four years. Any AD would easily by justified sacking Harper and the staff for our embarrassing recruiting. It is only because we landed Jackson out of the portal--and she miraculously decided to stay and play this season when she easily could have turned pro--that this staff is still employed, IMO. Good coaches are demanding. Warlick wasn't demanding, though she tried to be at times, and I don't think Harper is, either.

When Jackson returns we'll be competitive again against solid/good opponents--but that doesn't mean, by any stretch, that we'll win.

Reactions: Deebowbear
RJ doesn’t need to be like Angel Reese. And Angel Reese can’t be like RJ.

What the team needs is to stop being so friendly on the court with one another and play basketball. Growing up I played basketball with two of my best friends. We would barely shake hands on the court during a game. We were locked in!

This doesn’t need to come from 1 person. This needs to come from 5 on the court at all times. If RJ is the leader fine, but the game inside the game breaks down to man v man (1 on 1) who can win their battle. Carry your own weight and don’t be a weak link. That is what the opponents every game are searching for with TN. Pay attention.

Reactions: Deebowbear
I still can't seem to find the Lady Vols on the Fox schedule for tomorrow. It is supposed to be on Fox Sports but doesn't show in the lineup. Any Ideas on this?
It is on the women’s sports network, download the Tubi app in the app store and then look for women's sports network. If you have Amazon Prime account download the freevee app and look for women’s sports network.

I definitely think if Tamari had never had potentially fatal blood clots in her lungs and had naturally progressed after her last healthy season (when she broke the all-time blocks record), and Rickea Jackson were 100% healthy, we would not be sitting around feeling disappointed with today's loss OR be overly concerned about this stretch of ranked opponents.

This horrific Tennessee tradition of always losing our best players to injury, is NOT Kellie's fault. I really wish to God we could, for ONCE, have a season that we have everybody we're supposed to for every game. But it seems like that's not the way things happen for us.

It's frustrating and heartbreaking for everyone, but especially to the players and staff. We have sh!t for luck on ol ' Rocky Top. 💔

Disagree, absolutely there is a ton of talent on this team. But they're not responding.
Like they should be.

No, not a "ton" of talent. After Jackson, Spear is talented--but did little tonight. Hollingshead has some talent, but was a no-show in this game. Puckett has some offensive skills--can shoot--but has issues defensively, as do a lot of our players. We have a moderate amount of talent--and are not well-coached.

Reactions: olddog and Ratvol

VN Store

Back