Game Thread: #17/19 LADY VOLS VS. TEXAS

Lots of learning film, so many missed shots, so many TX fouls not called. Jaz goes to rebound before her player makes her shot. Many fooled by fake moves.

Reactions: VolBall09
No consolation, but Miss St just lost to West Virginia in Starkville. Several highly-ranked teams losing to unranked teams early in the season.

Very disappointing loss. Worth it if staff and team uses it as a wake-up call and acts quickly to improve in the many weak areas.

Worst part may not be the loss but the bad impression given to the five excellent recruits sitting in the stands.

Our perimeter defense killed us today. Their guards out played our guards. Texas is not a bad team. They have a ton of talent. They have a bad coach. Experience played a big role in this win. This actually showed me a lot about this team. We have a lot of fight in us. I’m more hopeful now than I was at the beginning of the game.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Competitive pride is still not there. Too much casualness and carelessness. To this team, losing is just another option—a reasonable possible outcome.

It is going to be difficult to exorcise the demons that Warlick left. She impacted the mindset of this program in negative ways through negligence.

Now Harper can show the team it’s loss as evidence that there is a long way to go. She has been saying the right things, but I don’t think the players were buying, at least their play suggests they weren’t.

In a lot of ways she has her work cut out for her in the same way Pruitt had/has his work cut out for him post-Butch.

Reactions: Orange Maniac
I blame this loss on all you morons who dissed TEXAS for a solid week and gave them a reason to play hard. idiots!!!!!!

and Tennessee didn't help themselves with playing out of control too often.

Reactions: aretha57
Still very excited about this team! Yes,they didn’t play well today and maybe this will be a wake up call for this team., hopefully they will play well against Stanford and Coach Harper will make the proper adjustments from here on out!! Go Lady Vols, a lot of basketball to be played yet!!🏀

Our perimeter defense killed us today. Their guards out played our guards. Texas is not a bad team. They have a ton of talent. They have a bad coach. Experience played a big role in this win. This actually showed me a lot about this team. We have a lot of fight in us. I’m more hopeful now than I was at the beginning of the game.

Defense didn't kill us at all. Shooting around 30% killed us. Texas didn't shoot too much better than we did.

Horston 3 points on 9 shot attempts, KK 7 points on 10 attempts, Massengill 10 points on 13 attempts just some of the players that were bad offensively in this game. The only two I see that were efficient in their scoring were Davis and Key who both scored more points than shot attempts.

there is no dicernable offense
the coach doesnt use her timeouts
there is to much subbing

sounds like holly 2.0
nc state record was a warning sign

Look at the results of the SEC Big 12 Challenge the SEC is the worst P5 this year!

I think that’s very possible this year. Normally I would argue otherwise, there are a lot of young teams in the SEC this season though. It’s going to be an interesting conference season this year. I think we’ll only have 4-5 teams in the NCAA tournament this year.

Horston 3 points on 9 shot attempts, KK 7 points on 10 attempts, Massengill 10 points on 13 attempts just some of the players that were bad offensively in this game. The only two I see that were efficient in their scoring were Davis and Key who both scored more points than shot attempts.

Also anyone who thinks the Lady Vols player better with Brown in the starting lineup just found out the cupcake party is over. Yes Rae plays a little out of control at times, But i think with her in the starting lineup gives the team a better chance of winning.

Reactions: T.J.
This nonsense about the officiating needs to stop. There is no “perfectly” officiated game. Ever. When CKH and the team rolls the tape back to the tip-off, they’ll realize that the officiating, nor Texas, beat them but that they beat themselves. Poor shot selection and not going straight to continually challenge the Texas bigs cost them more.

Texas has played like garbage this season but they still have four five star players and three that were ranked in the top five in their class on the court. They should be a lot better based on talent alone but we really couldn't score the easy shots today.
The LVs play today demonstrates that the Air Force coach was right-on when she said in her press conference that the LVs were good defensively but offensively challenged. They are and they don't have a Candace Parker type player to bail them out in tight games like today.

I mean, you gotta admit our guard play is not good. When your best guard is a freshman, you're bound to have issues. Second best "guard" isn't a guard (Davis). We have no real presence at PG and losing Westbrook DID hurt us there, especially after losing Hayes, whether people want to admit it or not. We have little perimeter shooting threats, as well. Not much we can do about that.

This team has done better than expected but their only real win to date was ND, who is a pile of garbage this season. We might win some games we shouldn't but the season will be a bit of struggle. UConn will murder us as will Stanford. But that was to be expected so not really a huge deal. I'm really more worried about how this team will play once the grind of the SEC starts.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
I mean, you gotta admit our guard play is not good. When your best guard is a freshman, you're bound to have issues. Second best "guard" isn't a guard (Davis). We have no real presence at PG and losing Westbrook DID hurt us there, especially after losing Hayes, whether people want to admit it or not. We have little perimeter shooting threats, as well. Not much we can do about that.

This team has done better than expected but their only real win to date was ND, who is a pile of garbage this season. We might win some games we shouldn't but the season will be a bit of struggle. UConn will murder us as will Stanford. But that was to be expected so not really a huge deal. I'm really more worried about how this team will play once the grind of the SEC starts.

Yep, we really missed Zaay Green today. This was a matchup that I think she would have shone in. Plus she’s a Texas girl. Nothing like beating the home state school. :/

Last edited:

VN Store

Back