Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (20/18) Kentucky

Always good to see young people with a good sense of humor, especially when they can be self-deprecating. That's healthy and actually demonstrates self-confidence in being able to laugh at yourself occasionally.

Kudos to KeKe.
Great when a player can make of themselves and also let us say that those two big threes she made in the last game came at times that were just as damaging to our effort to win as were the Massengill ones.

Finally got to watch the game. I have an apology to make to Jessie Rennie. Other than the one forced pass to TK resulting in a turnover, she actually played good defense and moved the ball well. If we ran screens for her or were able to get the ball to her in the corner, she could be effective. Jess has good hands and sets good, hard screens. She just needs to knock down a couple of shots per game to draw out the defense.

Likewise, Tess Darby played decently. She tipped a pass and knocked a ball loose, hit her first three, stayed with her man, and helped on defense. Her second three-point attempt looked good when it left her hands and didn't miss by much. She got herself open and called for the ball. That shot would have been huge.

Putting Tess and Jess both on the floor with us down by two in the 4th may have been asking too much, especially with Rae out. But they weren't responsible for giving up the threes that buried us, nor did they miss free throws and allow back door cuts that killed momentum. Like Destiny, they're going to make mistakes. But in the right lineup, they can give teammates valuable minutes to get a blow.

Also thought Emily Saunders held her own, boxed out well, and was active on defense. Passes well out of the post, but lije Tess and Jess, needs to provide a threat to score when open.

I believe our bench can contribute on the court to help us get wins. Seeing them play reassured me of that.

Proud of the comeback even more after seeing it.

When I realized that Rennia would be out I hoped that Burrell would not try to take over the game by herself. And that was one of the reasons for a discombobulated start Burrell is good but she hasn’t the control to be relied upon play after play as her shot selection could be improved as well as her ball handling skills. But she tries. We did not follow the defensive game plan consistently. And Kentucky was motivated. This was a preview of life without Rennia. A consistent scoring has to come from Jordan as she has the ability. We are still a good team but not as deep as people think. With time all of the previously mentioned concerns will be mute. Go big 🍊

200.gif

this is the Kentucky game we lost and started the stretch of games where Rennia was playing out of her mind coming back from covid-19
#greattimes

Reactions: dapeak
Well, I thought it was a great 5000 post even if it was in the wrong forum. Baseball is bringing back the excitement.
Good old mods corrected mine & Mr. Evan Williams misstep so let’s just act like that never happened .

VN Store

Back