Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (20/18) Kentucky

I agree this season is kind of a mulligan. Weird sh*t keeps happening. But you're a better person that me. If the LVs win the championship, I will most definitely count it the same as our others. If any other team wins the championship, I won't count it the same as any others ever in history.

Yep, if anyone else hangs a banner, I'll be mocking them, but if we win, I'll gladly be on the bottom of the human pyramid stretching up to the rafters.

I don't disagree with your assessment, but she's playing because she's integral to the defense. She defends very well, is our very best off-ball defender, deflecting passes and getting a hand in on drivers, and she block shots out of the blue. Her offense does in fact stink right now, but she also handled the ball better last night than either Walker or Salary.
So KJH is playing an injured player just because she needs her? At the possible expense of that's player's future? A back injury severe enough to alter a player's shot is nothing to be played around with. If KJH is doing that, I'd advocate for her firing.

But of course she's not playing a seriously injured player. Harper is smart enough to know Jordan's possible future value to us as a healthy player is much more important than any contribution in this messed up season.

The guy selling popcorn handled the ball better than Salary last night, but Walker only had 1 t.o. IMO, Walker gets us into an actual offense better than Horston. If Walker could shoot (big if) I'd way prefer her at PG bc Jordan still dribbles aimlessly while the offense stagnates way too much.

I may be wrong but I think Rae's TO's generally happened when she was driving to the basket (and perhaps not a getting a call) so I think we can live with those kind of TOs.
A couple were really bad, lazy passes. Rae still does that sh*t. But you are right about her defense on Howard. Has basically owned her twice.

So KJH is playing an injured player just because she needs her? At the possible expense of that's player's future? A back injury severe enough to alter a player's shot is nothing to be played around with. If KJH is doing that, I'd advocate for her firing.

But of course she's not playing a seriously injured player. Harper is smart enough to know Jordan's possible future value to us as a healthy player is much more important than any contribution in this messed up season.

The guy selling popcorn handled the ball better than Salary last night, but Walker only had 1 t.o. IMO, Walker gets us into an actual offense better than Horston. If Walker could shoot (big if) I'd way prefer her at PG bc Jordan still dribbles aimlessly while the offense stagnates way too much.

The other thing I can’t figure out is why Horston is always tying to make herself smaller. She hunches over and dribbles right to left instead of standing her 6’2” self up straight and dribbling with a purpose.

You see big guards in the WNBA and they play big. They’re not trying to make themselves smaller. They play tall and attack smaller defenders. She should be able to attack almost any defender in the SEC and rise up to shoot over them.

The only question I would ask is why Jordan went from 40 percent shooting as a freshman to 34 this season. That seems to call into question that she has at least some health problem. Usually a player improves their shooting from year one to two and she is going badly the other way. 4 for 15 last night was what we never need to see. Either have to do better or let someone else shoot the ball.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK

Has anyone seen an official status report on Jordan's injury?. The medical staff, not the coaching staff, makes decisions about where players are cleared for training and competition.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen an official status report on Jordan's injury. The medical staff, not the coaching staff, about where players are cleared for training and competition.
The only reports on this injury I've seen or heard are a few sightings of the player rubbing her back. Plus gushing praise of her bravery and sacrifice, and the explanation of all her struggles, from a certain poster on this forum. Judge that veracity as you will.

Sad they lost. Thought they might pull it out but it didn't happen. Rennia is a very important cog in the machine and her loss was ultimately too much to overcome. I believe they will pull together and bounce back this weekend. Whether they can beat a top 10 team depends on Rennia returning and providing leadership. I still believe in this team.

Last edited:
Jordan walker was NOT an upgrade over Jazmine Massengill like some on this board thought lord help us why did Jaz leave😫

This is where Kellie really failed the team in the offseason, not finding even an average point guard to fill her spot. Massengill is Magic Johnson compared to what we have there now...

This is where Kellie really failed the team in the offseason, not finding even an average point guard to fill her spot. Massengill is Magic Johnson compared to what we have there now...

Funny, it did not look as though Kellie had "really failed the team" after the first meeting with KY, given that Jordan Walker seemed to be the far better alternative.

It is almost like one can not draw sweeping, absolute conclusions based on a single game during this very fragmented and oft disrupted season.

I will be back to revise change modify edit in a few minutes....

She did not fail anyone. She took whatever she could get offseason. She's not Pat that can run last minute and pick up a star player. Holly made it hard for her. Now, she got to work hard and prove herself.

Injury is your word, not mine. I surmised a muscle pull, not an injury...The rule of thumb for athletes is "you can play hurt, but, you should not play injured"...We grownups work with pain and discomfort all the time, but we know better than to work with a bad injury...Give Jordan and Coach K some credit,,,,,Or just be you
and don't!

Has anyone seen an official status report on Jordan's injury?. The medical staff, not the coaching staff, makes decisions about where players are cleared for training and competition.

I never said she was injured, I said "I have sustained a back injury and it takes a long time to heal... completely, if ever...but simple sprains and pulls are a part of life. Like jammed fingers and groin pulls,,,they hurt, but playing with a sprain is not detrimental,,it is just constricting.

Leave it to GLV to take my words and blow them up.

It is almost like one can not draw sweeping, absolute conclusions based on a single game during this very fragmented and oft disrupted season.

Then I guess it's a good thing I don't make sweeping, absolute conclusions based on a single game...

Injury is your word, not mine. I surmised a muscle pull, not an injury...The rule of thumb for athletes is "you can play hurt, but, you should not play injured"...We grownups work with pain and discomfort all the time, but we know better than to work with a bad injury...Give Jordan and Coach K some credit,,,,,Or just be you
and don't!

I never said she was injured, I said "I have sustained a back injury and it takes a long time to heal... completely, if ever...but simple sprains and pulls are a part of life. Like jammed fingers and groin pulls,,,they hurt, but playing with a sprain is not detrimental,,it is just constricting.

Leave it to GLV to take my words and blow them up.
Who blew what up? Are you serious right now? You practically awarded this player a purple heart and a Congressional medal for playing with this horrendous injury, plus said several times it explains her dreadful shooting percentages. Now it's a jammed thumb? Ridiculous.

I've said before, I realize you are on your trusty white horse on this subject but I think its actually condescending and demeaning to the player to make every outlandish excuse in the galaxy for her. She doesn't need that. She just needs to find her damn shot.

The question with Walker being a more effective player is will she be able to get that brace off her leg and reach 100 percent health. If not she probably should retire not worth trying to play under a handicap. She loses quickness and mobility with that brace and that has totally affected her overall game. Even with it she has contributed 5.3 ppg and 3.6 rpg which are ok totals for 19 minutes a game. Her 38 assist versus 29 turnovers is also a decent stat. My feeling is she would be an exceptional player coming off the bench for us 100 percent healthy.

VN Store

Back