Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

Walker, Horston, Darby, Dye, Key is my prediction.

200.gif

Reactions: LadyVol1908
Not sure Dye is a wing but pretty good lineup. I think it is too early to play oneself out of a starting position. Darby should be given sufficient opportunities. Yanking her after the first game (I think) sends the wrong message and can harm shooter confidence. Besides, everyone but Rae kinda stunk it up as well. Walker, Horston, Darby, Key and Dye. Green, Puckett and Wynn the first three off the bench. Everyone plays tonight.

i hear you, good points. Tess was given a start when Horston was out, now Rae is out. If you view those two as interchangeable, then yes, you start Tess. But I think Kellie will pound the ball into the zone intially to see if she can still score on the inside game, rather than try to shoot them out of it. Tess doesn't appear to me to be that type of player. It's harder for the defending team to rebound out of a zone, they say, so I want a rebounding team on the floor, and a combo of Green and Dye to me is better for all of this than a combo of Dye and Tess. Just my inexpert opinion.

Reactions: Rickster
I have not watched UCF Women ever play a game so I am going off others who have posted. Veteran Team that loves to play in your face D a team that most believe will be in the tournament. They are playing at home. Should be a really tough game and without Rae they may be favorite. So to me Miles will play a lot of minuets and if she can handle the pressure I like our chances of winning big road game. Tess not her kind of game if everything I have read about them is true. In CHRIST Alone

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Well, we've played two games, one of which counted, but the recurring rebounding theme is we still are not in position for long rebounds a lot of the time. We can rebound underneath with people hanging all over us but when the ball kicks outside, we don't get many. Jordan gets some but most seem to go the other way.

Green and Key on the court is risky because there is no reliable backup 5. Can't have both in foul trouble, unless you want to roll the dice with Saunders...

True, but without Rae we probably have to roll the dice. If it doesn't work, then go with another strategy. I want to try to defeat the zone with offensive rebounds and putbacks, and I think that lineup has the best shot at it.

Saunders needs minutes for development. We will need her for the SEC gauntlet.
Not sure I agree. She's 6'5, but she's slow and out of shape so that negates her height advantage. I don't think there's anything Emily brings that Green doesn't do better now and Striplin won't be better at 2 months from now.

Reactions: djtee and Darth_Vol
Not sure I agree. She's 6'5, but she's slow and out of shape so that negates her height advantage. I don't think there's anything Emily brings that Green doesn't do better now and Striplin won't be better at 2 months from now.

Have you seen her play this season more than a couple of minutes? I don't think we should shelve anyone right now as it's the 2nd game of the season. There will be a time to shorten the rotation in a month or so.

You act like this is a true freshman. She's had TWO seasons of "development." There's a reason she's on the bench...

I'm not acting like anything. Players need minutes. She's on the bench because she is not good enough to start. Does not mean she is not good enough to play and get better. It's obvious you know nothing about managing people.

I'm not acting like anything. Players need minutes. She's on the bench because she is not good enough to start. Does not mean she is not good enough to play and get better. It's obvious you know nothing about managing people.

Then I guess Kellie knows nothing about managing people big man. She's the one benching Saunders, not me...

Yeah, my take as well. She's not going to be a part of the rotation during SEC play. Would rather see Striplin get some experience to get her ready for SEC play.

Why would Striplin not get experience? Everyone plays and gets evaluated and the coach, who is responsible for winning with them, will make her selections when she needs to shorten the rotation.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Why would Striplin not get experience? Everyone plays and gets evaluated and the coach, who is responsible for winning with them, will make her selections when she needs to shorten the rotation.
There's only so many live game minutes to go around, and I can't see Kellie putting Saunders into a game like UCF, who is good enough to beat Tennessee playing without Rae. More minutes for Karolin will let her get in a groove. We'll see what Kellie decides tonight.

Reactions: Rickster
There's only so many live game minutes to go around, and I can't see Kellie putting Saunders into a game like UCF, who is good enough to beat Tennessee playing without Rae. More minutes for Karolin will let her get in a groove. We'll see what Kellie decides tonight.

Assuming they are good enough. The better minutes are found in contested games, not laughers. I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if she stays on the bench.

My take on this is Kellie will play Saunders and Striplin how much ? i don`t know. I will go back to what i have been saying for some time now. It`s all about the matchup what team we play. When we play teams with a tremendous frontcourt players Key will need help and will need to rest. Now how will they do against those players ? that's a different story, Not being negative against Saunders or Striplin.

I also believe Striplin needs the mns as well. She took a rebound from middle of rim quickly moved to her Left for sweet put back. Emily I have not seen her be able to do that in 2 years.

I didn't think that Tess would ever start a game, but Kellie thought differently last time out. Who knows what she's seeing in practice?
I don't think it was has to be just practice but more so someone with experience playing at TBA, with Emily likely limited you don't start Keyen because that's her primary backup, everyone else outside of Emily and Rennie who weren't in the starting lineup are freshman

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
So I guess everyone starts on your team little man. What part of "starting FIVE" is unclear to you?

Starting? What the hell are you talking about? You said: Saunders needs minutes for development. No she doesn't. The FRESHMEN who have real upside and will actually factor in how far this team goes need minutes for development. Saunders has shown nothing in two seasons and one game to prove she should even be in the rotation. Kellie can't magically pull more minutes out of her butt for the 12th player (out of 12 available) just because YOU think she deserves it.

Assuming they are good enough. The better minutes are found in contested games, not laughers. I’ll gladly admit I’m wrong if she stays on the bench.

Spoiler alert: You're wrong. And you don't gladly admit it...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back