Game Thread: (#15/12) Lady Vols 49 - UCF 41

Only in basketball and not every year does the Big East meet the requirements of what page you brought up. You also missed the entire point of what was be spoken about. It was about which conferences were Power 5 conferences and that does not include The Big East. The Power five conferences are SEC, ACC, Big Ten, Pac 12, and Big 12. They are the five major conference because they excel in playing for championships and making NCAA Tourneys in every sport not just basketball. Name one sport other than basketball where the Big East even qualifies as a Mid-Major. Not football, Not baseball, Not softball, Not soccer and not every year in basketball. The Big East is a Non Major in Football, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, multitude of other sports and that is by the exact page that you just brought up. So no the Big East is not a Major Conference because in order to be one you must have teams that are prominent in every sport. You only are prominent in one and that is barley getting three to four teams in the NCAA most seasons.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Yes they are in every sport except basketball by your own page definition. Actually they are a low major in most every other sport.

What other sports are you talking about?

Your assumption that if a conference isn’t a power 5 then it’s a mid major is wrong.

Mid-Major Teams by Conference

Best of the Rest: Mid-major college basketball preview, picks, predictions for teams outside power conferences

Men's Mid-Major Preview: Best of the Rest

Bottom line is this from Wikipedia -“The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences.”

What other sports are you talking about?

Your assumption that if a conference isn’t a power 5 then it’s a mid major is wrong.

Mid-Major Teams by Conference

Best of the Rest: Mid-major college basketball preview, picks, predictions for teams outside power conferences

Men's Mid-Major Preview: Best of the Rest

Bottom line is this from Wikipedia -“The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences.”
Any other sport using your page where would the Big East rank? In football, baseball, softball, soccer, any other sport? It says you have to get 3 to 4 teams in the NCAA tourney basketball most of the time that happens. What other sport does that happen? None that I can think of. I'm not calling them anything except what the page you brought up classifies them as which would be low major in every sport except basketball. Why did you present that page if you are not going to live by what it says?

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Any other sport using your page where would the Big East rank? In football, baseball, softball, soccer, any other sport? It says you have to get 3 to 4 teams in the NCAA tourney basketball most of the time that happens. What other sport does that happen? None that I can think of. I'm not calling them anything except what the page you brought up classifies them as which would be low major in every sport except basketball. Why did you present that page if you are not going to live by what it says?
I didn’t write that article. Please stop referring to it as if I agreed with it all.

i was just offering an opposing view on the mid major debate.

i linked several other articles. You are stuck in the ”Football determines conference status” world.

I didn’t write that article. Please stop referring to it as if I agreed with it all.

i linked several other articles. You are stuck in the ”Football determines conference status” world.
Not just football I said every other sport including basketball if you want to talk conference status. You do usually qualify in basketball with 3 to 4 teams getting in while everyone of the Power Five Conferences get six teams or more. The Power Five Conferences beat the Big East in every sport as a power conference top to bottom and that includes basketball.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN

If you didn't agree with it all why did you put it up as a marker for what was a major, mid-major, low major conference qualification. You put it up like it proved your point that The Big East was some kind of power conference and I just agreed to the terms of what the article said. It said you were a major if you got 3 to 4 teams in to the NCAA basketball Tourney, MId-Major if only two and Low Major if one.

2021 Division I Women's Basketball Official Bracket | NCAA.com

Well Big East got two into the NCAA women's tourney last season so where would that rank? If you don't want to accept the article you posted why post it at all?

If you didn't agree with it all why did you put it up as a marker for what was a major, mid-major, low major conference qualification. You put it up like it proved your point that The Big East was some kind of power conference and I just agreed to the terms of what the article said. It said you were a major if you got 3 to 4 teams in to the NCAA basketball Tourney, MId-Major if only two and Low Major if one.

2021 Division I Women's Basketball Official Bracket | NCAA.com

Well Big East got two into the NCAA women's tourney last season so where would that rank? If you don't want to accept the article you posted why post it at all?
Like I said it was just an example of an opposing viewpoint. I didn’t say I agreed with all of it.

I posted several other links including the history of the mid-major designation, which is not an official designation by the NCAA.

I’ll make you a wager. I bet that in April, the Big East RPI on Realtimerpi.com will be ahead of one of the power five conferences.

Like I said it was just an example of an opposing viewpoint. I didn’t say I agreed with all of it.

I posted several other links including the history of the mid-major designation, which is not an official designation by the NCAA.

I’ll make you a wager. I bet that in April, the Big East RPI on Realtimerpi.com will be ahead of one of the power five conferences.
2021 Women's College Basketball Conference NET | WarrenNolan.com

Well you were a distant sixth last season in Women's basketball, but it wasn't about one sport it was about conference strength overall. That is why they call it the Power Five and I don't care what you call any of the other conferences they are all inferior to the Power Five. RPI is no longer the value used it is NET. Since they play each other no way they will have a higher net than any of the Power Five conferences. I don't bet but if your still around come April I'll certainly look it up and prove you wrong again.

2021 Women's College Basketball Conference NET | WarrenNolan.com

Well you were a distant sixth last season in Women's basketball, but it wasn't about one sport it was about conference strength overall. That is why they call it the Power Five and I don't care what you call any of the other conferences they are all inferior to the Power Five. RPI is no longer the value used it is NET. Since they play each other no way they will have a higher net than any of the Power Five conferences. I don't bet but if your still around come April I'll certainly look it up and prove you wrong again.
Other than the “prove you wrong again” comment, I appreciate your engaging me in this debate Without insults. You have done job supporting your position.

Well, if the Big East is not a major conference, then are they a mid major conference ?
I don't think they would be labeled a mid-major even though their quality of competition and results in most sports other than basketball is mid- major quality.

I don't think they would be labeled a mid-major even though their quality of competition and results in most sports other than basketball is mid- major quality.
Well, if they're not mid-major then they are a major conference. I don't see many other choices.

Well, if they're not mid-major then they are a major conference. I don't see many other choices.
Not a Power Five so you could put any label you want on them even major if you wanted to. If they are considered a major conference it would be in name only not in effective sports play other than basketball to some extent. I really don't actually know what their title is officially just know from a result standpoint I would list them as Mid-major players in sports.

Reactions: volnationnj
You are correct. I've let myself forget why I am here. I apologize to the real Volunteer posters. I've decided to put the worst offenders on ignore, and from on I'll try to focus on the positive and ignore the deliberately negative posters.
I think you will enjoy the board more if you do. the ignore button is your friend.

So just for fun with our P5 vs Mid Major discussion:
On average how many more losses would Geno have had a year if UConn played in the SEC or PAC10 over the years? And, how many times would UConn have been seeded differently?
I think in his best years maybe 2 more losses and maybe still a 1 seed but not the top seed. In okay years maybe 4 more losses.
In the early years UT, Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Vandy were all stout programs. More recently UT, SC, Texas AM, Miss St. it is a hard conference to go through undefeated.

Don't forget about how tough Auburn was under Joe Ciampi... three straight Finals appearances 1988-90...and Ole Miss was really tough when Van Chancellor was there (15 20-win seasons,; 4 Top 10 finishes; .740 winning %).

Most conferences have seen some lean times, but the SEC always seems to have goid teams other than Tennessee, even if the schools have been different in different eras.

Last edited:
Don't forget about how tough Auburn was under Joe Ciampi... three straight Finals appearances 1988-90...and Ole Miss was really tough when Van Chancellor was there (15 20-win seasons,; 4 Top 10 finishes; .740 winning %).

Most conferences have seen some lean times, but the SEC always seems to have goid teams other than Tennessee, even if the schools have been different in different eras.
So right! I forgot about Auburn! Whew Pat had a murderers row to go through.

So just for fun with our P5 vs Mid Major discussion:
On average how many more losses would Geno have had a year if UConn played in the SEC or PAC10 over the years? And, how many times would UConn have been seeded differently?
I think in his best years maybe 2 more losses and maybe still a 1 seed but not the top seed. In okay years maybe 4 more losses.
In the early years UT, Georgia, Alabama, LSU and Vandy were all stout programs. More recently UT, SC, Texas AM, Miss St. it is a hard conference to go through undefeated.
In some seasons, their record would have been better had they played in the PAC 10 or the SEC.
Take the 2012-2013 season for instance. They played in the Big East, which had 3 of final 4 teams that year. They lost 3 games that year to Notre Dame alone.

wish I had the discipline to do that, but when I see responses to posts that are defending or argumentative,,, I have to know what they're responding too.

Yeah, that's true, but when it comes to at least one poster here, it really doesn't matter what another poster is responding to - whatever it is isn't worth knowing.

In some seasons, their record would have been better had they played in the PAC 10 or the SEC.
Take the 2012-2013 season for instance. They played in the Big East, which had 3 of final 4 teams that year. They lost 3 games that year to Notre Dame alone.
I’ll have to look up the SEC that year.

Mid-major is the description given to any team that is not a member of a power five conference. Doesn't mean you can't have a few good teams as UConn in women's basketball and sometimes men's basketball. Overall the Power fives will have most of the best teams in most sports.
nvm

VN Store

Back