Game Thread: #13/10 LSU (23-4, 10-3) @ Tennessee (16-9, 9-4 SEC) 2/25/24 12:00 pm EST ESPN

You don't remember the South Carolina game of, what, less than two weeks ago? Powell and Spear were just like they were in this game--awful. Almost the same laughably bad shooting numbers.

Powell shoots too much and takes some bad shots, to be sure, she also gets a lot of good looks, because our other players are standing around and she can beat her mark off the dribble, she just can't make shots. And neither can Spear.
They shot poorly that game, yes. But South Carolina took over that game and we ran out of gas. We absolutely could have won this game today if we'd kept playing as a team and Powell hadn't tried to take over for however many possessions in a row (and losing HVL on defense while she got down on herself for missing shots).

Someday in future they’ll show a highlight of LSUs coach and ppl say dang in the early 20s those ppl dresses like hookers.

Reactions: VOLED
It's so disappointing because we had fought so hard to come back and we were playing a great second half as a team. There was just no reason for Powell to do what she did in that stretch.

We would have still lost even if Powell had made a couple of those shots because Van Lith killed us with that stretch when she made 2/3 three-pointers and about 5 straight baskets. But, yea, Powell's shooting was a problem. She gets decent shots, a lot of the time, but doesn't seem poised with her shooting. For the season her shooting percentage is 41 percent---not great, but certainly decent. But then she gets in big games and she and Spear shoot 17/18 percent each for the game.

Reactions: travis929
Our basketball IQ is terrible, sorry but Powell isn’t it. We aren’t consistent at all. This team will be lucky to get past first round.
I will get people upset but did anyone keep up with how many points Powell cost us with her driving to the basket. The last 5 minutes they scored 14 points over her driving and poor shot selection. This is not the first time. I know she wants to win but she’s not 6’ tall to go down low b

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Well our coach just lets her play like a loose cannon. What incentive does she have to play any different if she’s going to play this many minutes? It’s insanity to me that she wasn’t just benched at some point tonight.

There are some night you just don’t have it and you’re more detriment than help to your team. I’ve been on teams where it was the star who ended up benched. Sometimes you’d win, sometimes you’d lose, but they would dang sure play better after that.

There was no way we were winning this game with her playing like that so it makes very little sense we would just continue to go with it.
True!

Kellie is not competitive against top ranked teams. I know her record for top 25 and quadrant one wins is extremey bad this year. I bet it is also bad for her entire tenure here.

Spear disappears in the big games

To my eye, she’s only slightly better than Tess at creating her own shot vs TOP teams. Like Tess, she needs to be wide open to get her shot off, and she isn’t great at finishing at the rim. Doesn’t have a good mid-range pull up.

It was a huge weakness last year that I thought the staff addressed with Spear - a guard that can shoot AND create at high level vs top teams.

Reactions: glv98 and lfvol

VN Store

Back