Game Thread: #13/10 LSU (23-4, 10-3) @ Tennessee (16-9, 9-4 SEC) 2/25/24 12:00 pm EST ESPN

Oh lord, someone please tell me that this is powell’s last year. She’s the least cerebral (putting it nicely) pg in women’s basketball. Even the commentators are dumbfounded by her decision-making. Single handedly lost this game

The players have to be totally frustrated. Anybody that has played ball knows how deflating it is to have one player "take over" and lose the game. The biggest disappointment is who let her do this. It's coaching malpractice, at best.
It's so disappointing because we had fought so hard to come back and we were playing a great second half as a team. There was just no reason for Powell to do what she did in that stretch.

Absolutely. I honestly don't remember seeing a game like this where a team's collapse came down so much to one player completely taking over in a really, really bad way.

You don't remember the South Carolina game of, what, less than two weeks ago? Powell and Spear were just like they were in this game--awful. Almost the same laughably bad shooting numbers.

Powell shoots too much and takes some bad shots, to be sure, she also gets a lot of good looks, because our other players are standing around and she can beat her mark off the dribble, she just can't make shots. And neither can Spear.

The question is do you think a better coach like Dawn or Mulkey could have done more with this particular team? I feel like they would. There is obvious talent but many times they are standing around or making bad shot decisions.

All Powell can do is throw up shots and miss. Unbelievable and still in. Then she stood by and let a LSU player blow by her for a layup, which the player missed but not because of Powell's defense. I agree with the poster who said this team will not get past the first round. And Powell is definitely not a team player.

Ultimately games like this are a result of the recruiting failures. If our primary players are not having a good night we have nowhere to go.

Our best sub is probably Tess who is our worst defender.
But she’s not our worst shooter

Oh lord, someone please tell me that this is powell’s last year. She’s the least cerebral (putting it nicely) pg in women’s basketball. Even the commentators are dumbfounded by her decision-making. Single handedly lost this game

Well our coach just lets her play like a loose cannon. What incentive does she have to play any different if she’s going to play this many minutes? It’s insanity to me that she wasn’t just benched at some point tonight.

There are some night you just don’t have it and you’re more detriment than help to your team. I’ve been on teams where it was the star who ended up benched. Sometimes you’d win, sometimes you’d lose, but they would dang sure play better after that.

There was no way we were winning this game with her playing like that so it makes very little sense we would just continue to go with it.

Wynn closes out the game doing her best Powell point guard impression. Neither should be proud of their performance as on the floor leader.

Shooting was bad, but decision making on offense was worse

The question is do you think a better coach like Dawn or Mulkey could have done more with this particular team? I feel like they would. There is obvious talent but many times they are standing around or making bad shot decisions.
Not much would be done with this team, but they would have a better roster so the results would be different.

It's so disappointing because we had fought so hard to come back and we were playing a great second half as a team. There was just no reason for Powell to do what she did in that stretch.
We were tied with SC and down three to them going into the fourth quarter. We needed someone to step up both games and no one did.

VN Store

Back