Game Thread: (#11/10) Lady Vols 64 - Va Tech 58

Great win. Way to gut it out. How it took so long to challenge Shepherd is bothersome. Whatever Kelly did or just said in the huddle worked, because she was completely taken out of the game after that. Wish they would’ve stopped her after 3 or 4 tho.
hope the bright spots get brighter yet. Puckett, Dye and Walker in particular.
I think the focus was to live and die by the three but not give that big girl her 20 points. And it paid off in the end.

Watching the gsme for a second time in really starting to notice more fundamental team basketball than what we saw even last year. Sometimes ball mkvement isnt ad good as it sbould be. But you can see a purpose for each possesion on kffense and defense.

Yep! Starting to look like a real ball club again. That’s why we can get back in games when we need to. Fundamental basketball will take you there.

Was easier to watch the second time knowing we won and that all those travel calls were coming.

Watching back, most of that game Tamari played Kitley 1-1 straight up. That is huge for us. To have a center that can guard a skilled player like that 1-1 is rare. Our guards helped down if she put the ball down but mostly it was just Tamari staying in good position and going straight up.

Could honestly have stayed out to shooters a little more. We were definitely concerned about Kitley and our guards got sucked in anticipating passes that never came.

I’m also glad we’re a week out from our next game. That’ll hopefully give Horston some time to rest and regroup. We need her.
Agree, always worry about her back. One game in the next two weeks is perfect timing. Lets everyone prepare for finals, rest a bit and spend practice time on our play not on a specific opponent.

Agree, always worry about her back. One game in the next two weeks is perfect timing. Lets everyone prepare for finals, rest a bit and spend practice time on our play not on a specific opponent.

Yep! Time to hit the books, great timing for sure. Horston should get a nice rest here. Georgia State should hopefully be an open and shut case with the reserves getting lots of minutes.

Bodes well for our game against Stanford. Our legs and bodies should be really fresh for that game. FWIW it will be the third game of 3 in 6 days for Stanford. Hoping for a really good turnout for the Stanford game.

Coach Joy and Coach Kellie seem to communicate really well with one another. Saw them strategizing a lot in the timeouts. Coach Joy seems like she has a lot of passion for the game. Appears she’s really helping Tamari come into her own.

Great hire. And I trust a couple of the posters saying she and Coach Sam are impacting the recruiting trail. Things are getting exciting in Knoxville y’all!

Watching back, most of that game Tamari played Kitley 1-1 straight up. That is huge for us. To have a center that can guard a skilled player like that 1-1 is rare. Our guards helped down if she put the ball down but mostly it was just Tamari staying in good position and going straight up.

Could honestly have stayed out to shooters a little more. We were definitely concerned about Kitley and our guards got sucked in anticipating passes that never came.

Tamari’s handling of Kitley definitely illustrated the past observation that Key performs much better, and with more confidence, against opponents with size than she does against the smaller teams.

It was obvious to me that Kitley had made the mistake of watching highlights of Key swatting shot after shot after shot of previous opponents. Tamari had the mental advantage from the start, and then when she very soon into the game altered one of Kitley’s shots, Kitley folded.

Tamari just kept getting stronger and stronger. It was something to see, wasn’t it?!

So with #9 Iowa winning their game against a weak Michigan State, and none of the teams above us losing this week, do we enter the top 10? I think Baylor should move down purely based on their weak schedule but I don't think that'll actually happen.

#9 Iowa also lost to Duke. It should help us get over some teams that we beat a good Va Tech team that is projected to have a pretty decent seed in the field.

"Should" being the key word.

Last edited:
#9 Iowa also lost to Duke. It should help us get over some teams that we beat a good Va Tech team that is projected to have a pretty decent seed in the field.

"Should" being the key word.

Forgot about Duke! So hopefully they bump down a couple spots and we slide up. In theory we should be 9 or 10 when the poll comes out ("should" lol).

Forgot about Duke! So hopefully they bump down a couple spots and we slide up. In theory we should be 9 or 10 when the poll comes out ("should" lol).

LOL... Right!

Now in reality we should probably jump MD too off principle that they lost two in a row and we are still undefeated and beat a NCAA tourney team most likely.

Also, these freshman are showing why Kellie recruited them and that she just doesn't know how to recruit Mo St type players to the SEC. They deserve a big shout out for growth and showing they belong. Yes, they are going to have growing pains but they are doing what is asked and are going to make us even more dangerous later in the season.

Great win. Way to gut it out. How it took so long to challenge Shepherd is bothersome. Whatever Kelly did or just said in the huddle worked, because she was completely taken out of the game after that. Wish they would’ve stopped her after 3 or 4 tho.
hope the bright spots get brighter yet. Puckett, Dye and Walker in particular.

Watching the game again today still upset about the travel calls. I don't think that Ref could officiate an NBA game it would never finish.

Some of those traveling calls were astonishingly bad, and I don’t think that official should be allowed to work until he has received remedial training. It’s obvious he is confused about what constitutes a travel, and that’s disturbing. Hopefully someone will file a report or make a call to the director of officials and have some folks review that game.

Kellie: Our players are so tough, so mentally strong, that we have a chance to win, even when someone scores 30 points.

Sara: The team has shown confidence in me, and that has given me confidence in myself.

Jordan Walker: We have to stay together.

This team is so special, individually and together. Our upper classmen deserve so much credit, not just for obvious reasons, but for how they welcomed our newcomers, and took them under their wings. We have a team of stars, and they are not only mentally strong, they are unselfish.

It is astounding to me how much better this team is than last year’s. Our last year’s players have improved by leaps and bounds, with Tamari and Horston being the obvious leaders. When some doubted whether Walker would play well wearing a leg brace, she has been the one to jumpstart our Offense when we start out slow, and in other crucial times in our big games. She is Miles’s mentor, and we see how that’s working out.

Last year, I thought Kellie was sometimes stuck with playing a player even when they were having a horrible game. Now, that is no longer the case. Almost any player not playing well, can come out for awhile, and someone who comes in can do well, and the neat thing is, they both deserve credit because of the way our older players have backed and given confidence to our newer players.

Our team has been defeating adversity, and credit goes to them for being strong minded, and to Coach Kellie for putting them in positions to improve and gain confidence in themselves and each other. Just so proud of all of them!

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Kellie: Our players are so tough, so mentally strong, that we have a chance to win, even when someone scores 30 points.

Sara: The team has shown confidence in me, and that has given me confidence in myself.

Jordan Walker: We have to stay together.

This team is so special, individually and together. Our upper classmen deserve so much credit, not just for obvious reasons, but for how they welcomed our newcomers, and took them under their wings. We have a team of stars, and they are not only mentally strong, they are unselfish.

It is astounding to me how much better this team is than last year’s. Our last year’s players have improved by leaps and bounds, with Tamari and Horston being the obvious leaders. When some doubted whether Walker would play well wearing a leg brace, she has been the one to jumpstart our Offense when we start out slow, and in other crucial times in our big games. She is Miles’s mentor, and we see how that’s working out.

Last year, I thought Kellie was sometimes stuck with playing a player even when they were having a horrible game. Now, that is no longer the case. Almost any player not playing well, can come out for awhile, and someone who comes in can do well, and the neat thing is, they both deserve credit because of the way our older players have backed and given confidence to our newer players.

Our team has been defeating adversity, and credit goes to them for being strong minded, and to Coach Kellie for putting them in positions to improve and gain confidence in themselves and each other. Just so proud of all of them!

GO LADY VOLS!!!

Well said!

C'mon, you know your day is ruined now just like mine. 😂

Maybe Kellie can ruin my day on the 18th too...

No Kellie did not ruin my day i respect her as a coach. 😁 And Key like i said before the season started pull the post. She will need to stay on the floor for this team to win with or without Rae. This is no disrespect to Rae just my opinion.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
This team and coaching staff has done a great job coming together after RB went out. I was expecting at leas 2-3 losses until she came back because was expecting other players to look to Horston/Key to carry the load on O and just watch them. Pleasantly surprised they did not. This will be a huge help to this team's depth going forward now. When RB comes back look out. More excited about them now than preseason.

Last edited:
No Kellie did not ruin my day i respect her as a coach. 😁 And Key like i said before the season started pull the post. She will need to stay on the floor for this team to win with or without Rae. This is no disrespect to Rae just my opinion.

I dunno, a fringe top 10 team only beating an unranked team by 6 points? Seems like Tennessee might have a chemistry problem...

VN Store

Back