Galaxy S5

My gripe about it is the no SD card.

I'll give Samsung credit for upping the base model to 32GB. That may sway a few on the fence who were looking at the 16GB iPhone 6.

Apple got me to upgrade for $100 to the 64GB but if the base had been 32GB I'm not sure I would have done it. Of course it didn't hurt as much anyway since I got in when verizon was offering $200 for my 4S.

Unfortunately that means you probably won't be rocking the latest and greatest. They are all going to non removable because of design and space issues.

I used to say the same thing. I know where you are coming from, but I just don't think it's a big deal to me. I get new phones every year or two. Most batteries today will go that long without problem.

I'd say don't worry about it too much.

You don't actually believe that do you? Design and space issues are not a problem, it's just that they want the extra $100 from the consumer for more space up front. Add the non-removable battery and you have very little reason at this point to buy a Galaxy S6 over an iPhone.

I'll give Samsung credit for upping the base model to 32GB. That may sway a few on the fence who were looking at the 16GB iPhone 6.

Apple got me to upgrade for $100 to the 64GB but if the base had been 32GB I'm not sure I would have done it. Of course it didn't hurt as much anyway since I got in when verizon was offering $200 for my 4S.

Average cost for a micro SD card, $15 for 32GB and $30 for $64 GB.

Unfortunately that means you probably won't be rocking the latest and greatest. They are all going to non removable because of design and space issues.

I used to say the same thing. I know where you are coming from, but I just don't think it's a big deal to me. I get new phones every year or two. Most batteries today will go that long without problem.

I'd say don't worry about it too much.

That's where I'm at.

I remember raging when optical drives started being left out of laptops. Now? I don't even notice it. I haven't touched a DVD in at least 2 years.

Change is difficult at first but you get used to it and it typically is for the better when dealing with tech.

And they're notoriously unreliable. They are not a long term storage solution

Notoriously? I wouldn't go that far with it. I've had one SD fail on me but it was SD not MicroSD. You back them up just like people do with their itunes accounts. Again they're inexpensive to replace and you just drop your data back onto a new one and put it back in the phone all on your own.

Notoriously? I wouldn't go that far with it. I've had one SD fail on me but it was SD not MicroSD. You back them up just like people do with their itunes accounts. Again they're inexpensive to replace and you just drop your data back onto a new one and put it back in the phone all on your own.

If you're doing all that then why the complaining? You pretty much explained why they aren't necessary

If you're doing all that then why the complaining? You pretty much explained why they aren't necessary

No, I was simply responding to your "unreliable" comment and saying if you're afraid of that being an issue it can be backed up. The point I'm trying to make is that there is a privilege to being able to control how much storage space is on your phone and not having the carrier and/or manufacturer control how much space you get and how much THEY want you to pay for it. That removable storage space and the removable battery were two of several key things that differentiated a Galaxy from an iPhone.

Just got a tempered glass screen protector for my phone and I have to say they're definitely worth it especially at a $10-$15 price range! It has a very nice, smooth feel to it on the fingertips as well. The one I got is the MXX brand. I see no point in ever going back to the plastic ones now.

Has anybody gotten their hands on an S6? My company still hasn't approved it due to security issues, but still planning on getting it

Has anybody gotten their hands on an S6? My company still hasn't approved it due to security issues, but still planning on getting it

I'm surprised in myself for being open to switching to the Edge in a couple months...didn't think I'd want that

I like it a lot so far. The fingerprint sensor is so great when it comes to security. My company considers fingerprint security acceptable so I no longer have to enter an 8 digit code.

I'm wondering how you put a case on the S6 Edge?

I ordered a Supcase from Amazon. Very pleased with it thus far. This particular case is designed without screen protection, but I ordered an IQ Shield screen protector. Got both for less than $30. Really like the phone thus far as well. I got the 64gb which is overboard for my needs, but I wanted the phone in hand that day and they had no 32gb models in stock. The phone has a nice feel to it. Feels sturdy as opposed to the plastic of the S5. Considerably faster as well, and it seems to be fine running Lollipop, whereas my S5 got very buggy after the update.

I'm wondering how you put a case on the S6 Edge?

basically the first of 2 reasons I am so hesitant

the other being not being able to get the tempered glass cover, which I've come to swear by

I ordered a Supcase from Amazon. Very pleased with it thus far. This particular case is designed without screen protection, but I ordered an IQ Shield screen protector. Got both for less than $30. Really like the phone thus far as well. I got the 64gb which is overboard for my needs, but I wanted the phone in hand that day and they had no 32gb models in stock. The phone has a nice feel to it. Feels sturdy as opposed to the plastic of the S5. Considerably faster as well, and it seems to be fine running Lollipop, whereas my S5 got very buggy after the update.

Ok, I pulled it up on Amazon to get a photo! You don't get a true protective bevel edge because of the edge technology though.

So, your own thoughts on the advantage/disadvantage of the Edge? Having the icons on the sides saves screen real estate?

the other being not being able to get the tempered glass cover, which I've come to swear by

As have I with my most recent post above about the tempered glass protector. :)

See my post above, but in short, the Supcase is a two-piece design. Front cover snaps onto phone and then that all goes into a rubber/plastic combo cover. Has a belt clip holster as well. Very similar to an OtterBox but not as bulky. I'm really happy thus far. There weren't many in-store options for the Edge, none of which I liked. This case had good reviews, a good price, and a nice look. I think they sell exclusively on Amazon.

See my post above, but in short, the Supcase is a two-piece design. Front cover snaps onto phone and then that all goes into a rubber/plastic combo cover. Has a belt clip holster as well. Very similar to an OtterBox but not as bulky. I'm really happy thus far. There weren't many in-store options for the Edge, none of which I liked. This case had good reviews, a good price, and a nice look. I think they sell exclusively on Amazon.

The look of the case itself reminds me of the UAG cases.

Ok, I pulled it up on Amazon to get a photo! You don't get a true protective bevel edge because of the edge technology though.

It does provide some protection as the screen is still slightly recessed inside of the case. As I mentioned, there is no built-in screen protection (which they are very clear about) so I ordered the IQ Shield.

So, your own thoughts on the advantage/disadvantage of the Edge? Having the icons on the sides saves screen real estate?

I haven't given it that much thought. I didn't get the phone for any reason other than I could get it and my S5 had gotten buggy since the last software update. I had the S5 through Verizon. If I went on the Edge Plan, I could trade my S5 in and get the S6 for free. I went through Best Buy, so I got a free wireless charger as well ($59.99 value). I'll be spending $8.33 more per month on my cell phone bill, so I'll have to skip out on Wendy's once per month I guess.

As have I with my most recent post above about the tempered glass protector. :)

The look of the case itself reminds me of the UAG cases.

It does have a similar look, but the Supcase has the belt-clip holster, which is a need for me while working. I had always went with OtterBox prior to this case. OtterBox has excellent customer service, they've given me many free replacements over the years for broken clips and the like, but I wasn't completely happy with my S5 Defender series case. It's like the rubber tabs inside of the rubber case that "mash" the buttons (Power, Volume +/-) are a little flimsy or slightly misaligned so they don't always work. Add in that OtterBox doesn't have very much right now for the S6 Edge, plus the cost of their product, and I found the Supcase on Amazon to be a viable alternative.

It does have a similar look, but the Supcase has the belt-clip holster, which is a need for me while working. I had always went with OtterBox prior to this case. OtterBox has excellent customer service, they've given me many free replacements over the years for broken clips and the like, but I wasn't completely happy with my S5 Defender series case. It's like the rubber tabs inside of the rubber case that "mash" the buttons (Power, Volume +/-) are a little flimsy or slightly misaligned so they don't always work. Add in that OtterBox doesn't have very much right now for the S6 Edge, plus the cost of their product, and I found the Supcase on Amazon to be a viable alternative.

There is a company that seems to be pulling quite a few Otterbox users over to it's cases called Trident. I have an older phone and just got a Trident case and I really, really like it.

Anyone still have the S5 or upgrade to the S6? Thoughts on both or either?

I went to Verizon yesterday as I have a 4 year old phone that needs to be replaced. I hate the sizing compared to what I have, only reason why I'd be interested in the iphone 5s, but it's an iphone... Also interested in the m9 but I've read the photo quality isn't the best. I like the size of the remix, but not so great reviews.

Anyone still have the S5 or upgrade to the S6? Thoughts on both or either?

I went to Verizon yesterday as I have a 4 year old phone that needs to be replaced. I hate the sizing compared to what I have, only reason why I'd be interested in the iphone 5s, but it's an iphone... Also interested in the m9 but I've read the photo quality isn't the best. I like the size of the remix, but not so great reviews.

I still have my S5 and have an upgrade available and not taking the S6 or S6 Edge, if that tells you anything.

S6:
Small incremental improvement to screen resolution
Small increase of internal power
Reduced battery size and capacity
Sealed back with immovable battery
Not waterproof
Adaptive Fast Battery Charging
Newer camera interface and much improved camera.....even though the S5's camera is pretty boss
More RAM and better software.

To me, the improvements werent enough for me to upgrade to the S6 and I still love my S5. This is abnormal for me because I am normally the first to jump on the newest version. Since you have a 4 year old phone, even if you go with the S5, you will be amazed at the jump from what you are currently using.

Reactions: 1 person
I still have my S5 and have an upgrade available and not taking the S6 or S6 Edge, if that tells you anything.

S6:
Small incremental improvement to screen resolution
Small increase of internal power
Reduced battery size and capacity
Sealed back with immovable battery
Not waterproof
Adaptive Fast Battery Charging
Newer camera interface and much improved camera.....even though the S5's camera is pretty boss
More RAM and better software.

To me, the improvements werent enough for me to upgrade to the S6 and I still love my S5. This is abnormal for me because I am normally the first to jump on the newest version. Since you have a 4 year old phone, even if you go with the S5, you will be amazed at the jump from what you are currently using.

Thanks BC for your input! I'm sure anything will be better than my current phone, but I've been hanging with my unlimited data. Changing plans so it's time to change phones! The S5 was top of my list to check out when I went into the store.

I recently went from s3 to s6 and this phone is great. Definitely felt like I've upgraded

The removable battery or storage hasn't really been an issue with the quick charge. Battery life has been decent

VN Store

Back