Galaxy S5

As an iPhone owner, the only real reason I ever thought about switching was expandable storage and removable battery. Curious why Samsung would abandon these 2 things.

As an iPhone owner, the only real reason I ever thought about switching was expandable storage and removable battery. Curious why Samsung would abandon these 2 things.

I would guess the percentage swapping batteries is very low. SD card usage is probably not much better. Seal it up and eliminating those things most likely brings down production costs and gives the engineers a bit more freedom inside.

With 32g being the base model now, I don't think storage is a concern for most users now days. I realize there's plenty of us with bigger cards that use them, but it's a small percentage.

I'd love to have a S6. I bet the screen is just beautiful. But, as with all other smartphones, they have hit a plateau and are just incrementally better at this point. Nothing ground breaking.

I would guess the percentage swapping batteries is very low. SD card usage is probably not much better. Seal it up and eliminating those things most likely brings down production costs and gives the engineers a bit more freedom inside.

With 32g being the base model now, I don't think storage is a concern for most users now days. I realize there's plenty of us with bigger cards that use them, but it's a small percentage.

I'd love to have a S6. I bet the screen is just beautiful. But, as with all other smartphones, they have hit a plateau and are just incrementally better at this point. Nothing ground breaking.

As an upgrade to my s3 I'm definitely considering it. I'm still unlimited so it's going to be bought outright (edge in green please)

I agree on the SD but I know plenty I work with who use a spare battery. Maybe the charge speed will mitigate that somewhat.

Samsung pay definitely looks like a serious change.

Samsung pay definitely looks like a serious change.

Nice addition, for sure. Looks like Google also announced Android Pay today. Haven't read up on it yet. I'd imagine it's more of the same.

Got a friend that pays with his iphone when he can. I can live without it, but it's slick and I'll take it. Wonder if it'll trickle down and appear on the S5/Note 4 as much as possible (where nfc works).

i have some questions on the S4 and figured I could use this thread to ask them. Does the S4 mini have a feature or option to where you can set the wifi to come on not only when it has a signal but ONLY when you are using an app that needs the internet or do you have to download an app to handle this?

In summary.
-I always want the phone to use wifi over data when I have a local wifi connection.

-I don't want the wifi constantly on draining the battery, instead I only want it on when I have an app active that needs the wifi.

Leave your wifi on. The battery drain is very minimal.

It uses far less energy than your cell radio. Your phone is pretty much always checking for email, etc. Just leave wifi on and remember any wifi points you connect to.

Last edited:
I'm showing 26.6% power drain from Google Play Services, it is at the top of the usage list. I checked location based services and it's off, I checked Google Now and it's off, I checked "Auto-Sync Data" under Data Usage and it was check marked so I unchecked it. Is it safe to assume that was causing the drain or could there be something else going on?

I'm showing 26.6% power drain from Google Play Services, it is at the top of the usage list. I checked location based services and it's off, I checked Google Now and it's off, I checked "Auto-Sync Data" under Data Usage and it was check marked so I unchecked it. Is it safe to assume that was causing the drain or could there be something else going on?

You could turn everything off and let it sit on the desk. Seems like you're really trying to save battery at the cost of turning off many features that make a smartphone a powerful computer in your pocket.

Are you not getting through the day on your battery? When do you unplug and when do you run out of juice?

Doesn't hurt to reset your phone if you're seeing abnormal battery drain at some point. It happens with all phones...something gets hung.

Screen and Android services in most cases should be the top things eating your battery. GSAM Battery Monitor is a good app I used to look at it. It'll give you some more details. In the end, I quit caring about it so much. Far too many variables you can't control or don't know.

I used to work on phones for years. Just trying to help out.

Last edited:
You could turn everything off and let it sit on the desk. Seems like you're really trying to save battery at the cost of turning off many features that make a smartphone a powerful computer in your pocket.

Are you not getting through the day on your battery? When do you unplug and when do you run out of juice?

Doesn't hurt to reset your phone if you're seeing abnormal battery drain at some point. It happens with all phones...something gets hung.

Screen and Android services in most cases should be the top things eating your battery. GSAM Battery Monitor is a good app I used to look at it. It'll give you some more details. In the end, I quit caring about it so much. Far too many variables you can't control or don't know.

I used to work on phones for years. Just trying to help out.

It's a new S4 mini I just got. The first night I ended the day at 12% battery. The second night was a little better I think I ended it at 40%. Last night was 55% after the auto-sync change, but these have barely even been twelve hour periods simply because I was letting it fully charge which was taking a lot more time than usual.

I personally don't need all the extra Google services simply because I don't utilize them, so if disabling saves battery I'm losing nothing really. I'm somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to features, at least right now.

I'm of the mindset that any phone should last a 15 hour day at least. So having it drained almost half way after 6 hours is unacceptable by my standards. It's a fluid situation as I'm learning more and more about it though so I'll let you know how the battery does today.

It's a new S4 mini I just got. The first night I ended the day at 12% battery. The second night was a little better I think I ended it at 40%. Last night was 55% after the auto-sync change, but these have barely even been twelve hour periods simply because I was letting it fully charge which was taking a lot more time than usual.

I personally don't need all the extra Google services simply because I don't utilize them, so if disabling saves battery I'm losing nothing really. I'm somewhat of a minimalist when it comes to features, at least right now.

I'm of the mindset that any phone should last a 15 hour day at least. So having it drained almost half way after 6 hours is unacceptable by my standards. It's a fluid situation as I'm learning more and more about it though so I'll let you know how the battery does today.

Half way after 6 hours isnt right. Sounds like something is going on with it unless either you are constantly using it or using it for games or videos or something.

Im at about 10 hours today on my charge on my s5 and im at 65%

Half way after 6 hours isnt right. Sounds like something is going on with it unless either you are constantly using it or using it for games or videos or something.

Im at about 10 hours today on my charge on my s5 and im at 65%

I was using it a bit more than usual but not to the extent that the battery seemed to be draining. I haven't even gotten around to messing with games yet, lol. I probably shouldn't.

I may have found something when I turned off the auto-sync data. I fully charged the phone and have had it on for 5.5 hours and it's still at 90%. I feel better about that now.

I'd like to figure out how t get the Youtube widget back now unless someone has a better alternative.

Anyone know why I'm only able to charge my battery to about 95%? It seems to charge to 90% overnight then really slows down trying to get to 100%.

I've tried different chargers as well just to make sure it wasn't the wall charger.

Fun fact: while billed as somewhat waterproof, I can confirm leaving an S5 in the washer for 5 minutes will, in fact, ruin it

luckily this is the first phone I've ever gotten insurance on (also the first time I've ever gotten water damage)

Anybody getting the S6? I'm thinking about switching from my iPhone in June

If you're switching from an iPhone to an S6 you might like it because with the S6 Samsung has installed a non-removable battery as well as ditching the micro SD card for expandable storage. For all other typical Galaxy fans the S6 is insulting for those reasons. Also, if you're someone who doesn't use a case on their phone you'll thoroughly enjoy looking at all of your fingerprints all over the new shiny metal case. If you ask me Samsung just shot itself in the foot with this phone.

If you're switching from an iPhone to an S6 you might like it because with the S6 Samsung has installed a non-removable battery as well as ditching the micro SD card for expandable storage. For all other typical Galaxy fans the S6 is insulting for those reasons. Also, if you're someone who doesn't use a case on their phone you'll thoroughly enjoy looking at all of your fingerprints all over the new shiny metal case. If you ask me Samsung just shot itself in the foot with this phone.

I really really hope they don't mess up the Note 5.

I really really hope they don't mess up the Note 5.

Good luck. I don't see them changing their direction unless the customers revolt on the S6 and their sales numbers are abysmal. I will never buy a cell phone where I can't change the battery in it.

Good luck. I don't see them changing their direction unless the customers revolt on the S6 and their sales numbers are abysmal. I will never buy a cell phone where I can't change the battery in it.

You're not exactly buying cutting edge phones anyway.

The S6 will sell better than the S5. It's a cool phone with some cool tech inside. I want to see the pay system on the new S6 works. Sounds pretty darn cool.

The S6 will sell better than the S5. It's a cool phone with some cool tech inside. I want to see the pay system on the new S6 works. Sounds pretty darn cool.

the pay system?

Samsung Pay. Pay for your stuff with your phone. Works pretty much everywhere credit cards are taken. Shoots the magnetic info over to the reader.

Not life or death, but it expands pay by phone a bit more which is good for all.

You're right, but only because I can't currently afford the newest tech. That has no impact on any of what I wrote about the S6 though.

You're right, but only because I can't currently afford the newest tech. That has no impact on any of what I wrote about the S6 though.

Unfortunately that means you probably won't be rocking the latest and greatest. They are all going to non removable because of design and space issues.

I used to say the same thing. I know where you are coming from, but I just don't think it's a big deal to me. I get new phones every year or two. Most batteries today will go that long without problem.

I'd say don't worry about it too much.

Unfortunately that means you probably won't be rocking the latest and greatest. They are all going to non removable because of design and space issues.

I used to say the same thing. I know where you are coming from, but I just don't think it's a big deal to me. I get new phones every year or two. Most batteries today will go that long without problem.

I'd say don't worry about it too much.

My gripe about it is the no SD card.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back