Gabe Jeudy-Lally to UT

Covid year in 2020?
That’s factored in…didn’t count.

2019- redshirted

2020- Covid year

2021- played (1)

2022- played (1)

So that’s (2) seasons played and a redshirt utilized. Two seasons remaining…no redshirt. Two seasons to play two. Now if in 2019 that redshirt was medically related…injury and what not, he can APPLY for an additional redshirt at the END of his current eligibility. But that can’t be assumed beforehand.

Reactions: Remy
No, it isn't marginal. It's what he's ranked by internet nerds. I'm talking about how good of a player he is. Those are not the same thing.
Sure, and if we got the #1 ranked CB by those same nerds, I’m sure you’d feel the same way. He’s a marginal player. There is nothing in his career that suggest otherwise. Still better than what we have, as we were one of the worst in pass coverage in the country.

Sure, and if we got the #1 ranked CB by those same nerds, I’m sure you’d feel the same way.
Actually @GregAmsler and a few others are wise enough, experienced enough, and observant enough to NOT get too over the top by a highly rated player.

The "ratings" thing is "fun" but in the end... pretty meaningless unless it turns into wins. A&M had the highest rated class ever last year, right? How many of their fans wouldn't trade that for a season like UT had?

For myself, I've watched this a long time. There was a time when I got excited about class rankings like some of you. Then I watched time after time as those classes busted in part because of poor coaching but also because they were filled with overrated players.

It is "nice" to have journalists drooling over your recruits. It is better to have them wondering how such mediocre talent managed to win 11 games and beat LSU, Bama, and Clemson along the way.

Actually @GregAmsler and a few others are wise enough, experienced enough, and observant enough to NOT get too over the top by a highly rated player.

The "ratings" thing is "fun" but in the end... pretty meaningless unless it turns into wins. A&M had the highest rated class ever last year, right? How many of their fans wouldn't trade that for a season like UT had?

For myself, I've watched this a long time. There was a time when I got excited about class rankings like some of you. Then I watched time after time as those classes busted in part because of poor coaching but also because they were filled with overrated players.

It is "nice" to have journalists drooling over your recruits. It is better to have them wondering how such mediocre talent managed to win 11 games and beat LSU, Bama, and Clemson along the way.
These coaches know what THEIR players look like. That’s why they insist on seeing them in person and working them out when possible. If they have the requisite number of stars? That’s a bonus…but not necessary. They took a flyer on Dixon last year and that’s now a cautionary tale on trusting ratings.

Yep. Eventually, you learn that it's much better to have a coaching staff that can evaluate, sign, develop, and implement the talent THEY need to win rather than just signing a bunch of recruits that are highly rated by internet sites. And once you get that, after a few years, the internet sites will start rating your players higher because of your coach's ability to win with and develop them. Then people think the internet sites were accurate. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy....which is why they "adjust" the rankings throughout the process as players are offered by and sign with the big time coaches/schools. It's patently obvious to those paying attention.

This staff wanted Gabe Jeudy-Lally pretty bad, from what I understand.

Yep. Eventually, you learn that it's much better to have a coaching staff that can evaluate, sign, develop, and implement the talent THEY need to win rather than just signing a bunch of recruits that are highly rated by internet sites. And once you get that, after a few years, the internet sites will start rating your players higher because of your coach's ability to win with and develop them. Then people think the internet sites were accurate. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy....which is why they "adjust" the rankings throughout the process as players are offered by and sign with the big time coaches/schools. It's patently obvious to those paying attention.

This staff wanted Gabe Jeudy-Lally pretty bad, from what I understand.
Good to know. Even if I didn't or don't have a lot of faith in Banks/Martinez... I'm pretty sure Heupel knows the kind of CB he doesn't want to coach against. IMO, that may be the best way to evaluate a defensive player... more who a great offensive coach wouldn't want to coach against.

These coaches know what THEIR players look like. That’s why they insist on seeing them in person and working them out when possible. If they have the requisite number of stars? That’s a bonus…but not necessary. They took a flyer on Dixon last year and that’s now a cautionary tale on trusting ratings.
Yeah. I don't think they saw much risk in Dixon. More of a nice to have than a necessity.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Have you compared the women here to there? I would want to be in KTown!
Not Mormon. Don't particularly care for BYU or the LDS hypocrisy in general.

But what do you mean? Are you talking about beauty or some perception that they aren't "fun". We had some neighbors a few years back who were Mormon. Made us curious so we started learning about them. Much of that "clean family image" stuff is a facade. One thing in particular was that their unwed pregnancy rates were at or higher than the national average. IIRC, Mormon girls became sexually active slightly sooner than average.

Not Mormon. Don't particularly care for BYU or the LDS hypocrisy in general.

But what do you mean? Are you talking about beauty or some perception that they aren't "fun". We had some neighbors a few years back who were Mormon. Made us curious so we started learning about them. Much of that "clean family image" stuff is a facade. One thing in particular was that their unwed pregnancy rates were at or higher than the national average. IIRC, Mormon girls became sexually active slightly sooner than average.
Wow! Ease up a minute bud. I was a small attempt at a little humor.

Wow! Ease up a minute bud. I was a small attempt at a little humor.
Still curious what you meant.

There are a lot of ways to make fun of them to be honest. The couple I mentioned earlier liked visiting with us so they could sneak and <gasp> drink a Coke or glass of tea. OTOH, she was pregnant when they married and weren't sure who the father was.

However... quite a few girls around the SLC area were good looking.

Watch the NFL playoff teams. Many of those starting and playing are far removed from P5 territory. Heard one tonight graduated from Morgantown State. How many 3 stars does that school get, 1 or 2 a year? And they get treated like 5 stars if they show up on campus. Talent evaluation is a very tricky business, add in a layer of development and it's trickier still.
just for snicks and giggles, not every youngster on a Saban or Smart team after their collegiate playing days are over makes an NFL roster.

Reactions: sjt18
Watch the NFL playoff teams. Many of those starting and playing are far removed from P5 territory. Heard one tonight graduated from Morgantown State. How many 3 stars does that school get, 1 or 2 a year? And they get treated like 5 stars if they show up on campus. Talent evaluation is a very tricky business, add in a layer of development and it's trickier still.
just for snicks and giggles, not every youngster on a Saban or Smart team after their collegiate playing days are over makes an NFL roster.
Sure, but Morgantown State isn’t beating anyone of significance. You have to look at the wider picture. UGA, Bama, OSU. Those schools are recruiting the best based on stars and guess what? Their records support it.
Someone mentioned A&M and how good their class was last year. Other than that class, they didn’t have much and they were one of the youngest teams in the SEC. I wouldn’t be surprised if they bounce back.

The NFL will find the talent and you're always going to have Terrell Owens type players who are late bloomers. QB seems to be one area where rankings don’t hold up.

This is what makes the transfer portal so interesting. Those developmental players can now transfer into a P5 program, or to a better P5 program. Sucks for the schools that invest in developing them.

This is where I was hoping UT would go for a DB in the portal. Has to be some blooming corner prospects out there.

VN Store

Back