'22 GA DT Tyre West (Tennessee signee)

Tyre West has been committed to Georgia for almost a year. But with the start of the Early Signing Period for the 2022 class now less than a month away, he recently started to explore other options and now has a final decision to make.

Coming off an unofficial visit to Florida State on Wednesday, the four-star Class of 2022 defensive lineman from Tift County High School in Tifton, Ga., said he discussed the possibility of visiting Tennessee on Saturday for its home game against South Alabama. He didn’t make the trip to Knoxville this weekend, but he said the Vols are likely to host him on an official visit in the coming weeks. The 6-foot-3, 269-pound West said he “came close” to visiting Tennessee on Saturday, but he “had made a commitment to my cousin because he had a game. He plays at West Georgia, so I wanted to watch him play.”

Despite not visiting the Vols this weekend, he said he has “discussed” a possible official visit to Tennessee the weekend of Dec. 10.

“We talked about an official visit,” said West, who’s ranked the No. 89 overall prospect and No. 14 defensive lineman in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “I will take one there. We basically just talked about it. We discussed it (being) on the 10th. We’re going to see if it’s going to go through.”

West said first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff, led by defensive line coach Rodney Garner, has been telling him about “their defense,” along with “why they need me and the role I could play.” He said he also has talked with Heupel and Vols defensive coordinator Tim Banks.

“(They said) I can fit in really well in Tennessee’s defense,” West said, adding that he “probably can play, like, multiple spots” on the defensive line.

He said he’s interested in visiting the Vols because he’s “trying to see what they have.” He admitted that he likes what he already has seen from them on the field this season, adding that he watched their home game Nov. 13 against Georgia.

“How they’re playing ball this year,” West said, “that’s all that I was really intrigued with. … They get stops. They make stops.”

West said he remembers visiting Tennessee “when I was younger,” during former coach Jeremy Pruitt’s tenure. The trip to Knoxville in April 2019, near the end of his freshman year of high school, allowed West to attend the Vols’ spring-ending Orange and White Game.

More than two years later, he said he still remembers his time at Tennessee being “crazy fun.”

“It was different. It was, like, the people, the atmosphere,” West said. “(I liked) the players, how they’re so locked in being at Tennessee.”

Florida State has received all eight predictions for West on the 247Sports Crystal Ball. All eight picks have been made since Tuesday, the day before he visited the Seminoles. He’s scheduled to take an official visit to Florida State the weekend of Dec. 3.

“Florida State caught my attention quite a bit lately,” he said.

Auburn and Florida, he said, are among the other schools that recently have been in contact with him.

West said he’s “definitely” planning to sign during the Early Signing Period, which begins on Dec. 15. He’s on track to arrive at the school of his choice in January as an early enrollee, and he still has plenty to think about as he prepares to make his final choice over the next few weeks.

“I really don’t have a favorite right now,” he said.

The 6-foot-3, 269-pound West said he “came close” to visiting Tennessee on Saturday, but he “had made a commitment to my cousin because he had a game. He plays at West Georgia, so I wanted to watch him play.”

Despite not visiting the Vols this weekend, he said he has “discussed” a possible official visit to Tennessee the weekend of Dec. 10.

“We talked about an official visit,” said West, who’s ranked the No. 89 overall prospect and No. 14 defensive lineman in the 2022 class, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite. “I will take one there. We basically just talked about it. We discussed it (being) on the 10th. We’re going to see if it’s going to go through.”

West said first-year Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff, led by defensive line coach Rodney Garner, has been telling him about “their defense,” along with “why they need me and the role I could play.” He said he also has talked with Heupel and Vols defensive coordinator Tim Banks.

“(They said) I can fit in really well in Tennessee’s defense,” West said, adding that he “probably can play, like, multiple spots” on the defensive line.

He said he’s interested in visiting the Vols because he’s “trying to see what they have.” He admitted that he likes what he already has seen from them on the field this season, adding that he watched their home game Nov. 13 against Georgia.

“How they’re playing ball this year,” West said, “that’s all that I was really intrigued with. … They get stops. They make stops.”

West said he remembers visiting Tennessee “when I was younger,” during former coach Jeremy Pruitt’s tenure. The trip to Knoxville in April 2019, near the end of his freshman year of high school, allowed West to attend the Vols’ spring-ending Orange and White Game.

More than two years later, he said he still remembers his time at Tennessee being “crazy fun.”

“It was different. It was, like, the people, the atmosphere,” West said. “(I liked) the players, how they’re so locked in being at Tennessee.”
-Callahan

It’s weird that he wants to look around when he’s been committed for a year. Did UGA tell him to go looking around?

VN Store

Back