‘23 GA S Tyler Scott (Auburn)

I’m the sunshine and rainbows poster that keeps trying to cheer you up…or at least get you to wait before the anxiety consumes you. And there’s absolutely no one who is saying that our secondary is not the weakness on the team and doesn’t need improvement. I just keep trying to point out that at least two who would know said they would not be going after any until after the bowls and/or after spring practice. Insinuated they didn’t like any. I took that to mean if they had talent there was another problem such as demand for too much money or attitude. The offense is set so one bad apple won’t cause as many problems. Someone else said something that made me think they may already have something worked out with someone not going in the portal until after the bowl. But they are going after the A&M player that just went in. But we’re going to have to accept they’re not willing to get into bidding wars for the flashy players. They want guys like Bru who have the talent but looking for a new start and fit the system and culture. Also, numbers is an issue so being very picky. After spring some will leave so you start the whole process again of filling needs.
The money argument presents a conundrum. NIL is legal, and talented players want to get in on that. Can you blame them? If School A offers more than School B, can you really blame them for choosing school A? We have to be competitive on the NIL front. Wanting to get paid does not make a kid bad. I don't know anyone who doesn't want a bigger paycheck.

I honestly don't think the Spring transfers will be as quality as the guys we see in this first window. I'm hoping we see a quality wave after the bowl games, but I'm not convinced we will. I'm also not convinced anyone knows with any certainty what will happen.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
The money argument presents a conundrum. NIL is legal, and talented players want to get in on that. Can you blame them? If School A offers more than School B, can you really blame them for choosing school A? We have to be competitive on the NIL front. Wanting to get paid does not make a kid bad. I don't know anyone who doesn't want a bigger paycheck.

I honestly don't think the Spring transfers will be as quality as the guys we see in this first window. I'm hoping we see a quality wave after the bowl games, but I'm not convinced we will. I'm also not convinced anyone knows with any certainty what will happen.
All true about NIL. Just seems they are not interested in bidding wars even for recruits. They are being upfront and honest with what they are willing to do but are more interested in players who fit in the scheme, understand what is expected and are ready to come in and work hard. Majority of players in the portal fall short in at least one of those areas.

Appears they think the quality of player they can get now will be available later. But they are going after the A&M guy now since he seems to be better quality. He may also still be looking for highest bidder.

You’re not convinced anyone knows with a certainty what will happen? I am totally convinced no one knows. The coaches do appear to have a plan if the reports are to be believed. Working on O right now because more players they like. D after bowl games and spring unless someone comes in they like… like the A&M guy. They will get the best players they can then work to win as many games as they can while building a team that will be in the playoffs competing for championships. Seems like that is their plan. I don’t think they are going to have a team with few to no weaknesses by next year. Actually think there will still be several. But think they will find ways to win while continuing to get better.

EE has been a thing for more than awhile…way longer than ESD. When you’re enrolled? You’ve signed. The actual word INTENT in NLI compared to what YOU ALREADY DID when financial papers to enroll have been signed.
Participating in bowl practices is what's new. Go back to the Kiffin saga, That's before there was an ESD. The EEs were enrolled and on campus. Kiffin took the USC job and his assistants started calling the EEs instructing them not to go to class,, because they had not signed a NLI and their enrollment wasn't official until they had attended classes. You may be correct now, but I distinctly remember Kiffin and the Ogre trying to use that loophole to take his recruits to USC in 2010. These guys are enrolled and practicing, but they aren't attending classes because it's winter break, and they haven't signed a NLI.

Reactions: KptVFL
Participating in bowl practices is what's new. Go back to the Kiffin saga, That's before there was an ESD. The EEs were enrolled and on campus. Kiffin took the USC job and his assistants started calling the EEs instructing them not to go to class,, because they had not signed a NLI and their enrollment wasn't official until they had attended classes. You may be correct now, but I distinctly remember Kiffin and the Ogre trying to use that loophole to take his recruits to USC in 2010. These guys are enrolled and practicing, but they aren't attending classes because it's winter break, and they haven't signed a NLI.

Bray went through bowl practice. But he wasn’t one Kiffin was trying to flip. He couldn’t if they’d gone through Bowl practice.

Bray went through bowl practice. But he wasn’t one Kiffin was trying to flip. He couldn’t if they’d gone through Bowl practice.
I remember Bray attending bowl practices, but I don't know that he actually participated in practice. The earliest reference that I could find for an EE participating in bowl prep was Jalen Hurts and that was the week leading up to the National championship game. That was in January when all the EE's would have already reported.

Last edited:
I remember Bray attending bowl practices, but I don't know that he actually participated in practice. The earliest reference that I could find for an EE participating in bowl prep was Jalen Hurts and that was the week leading up to the National championship game. That was in January when all the EE's would have already reported.
Jason Allen was the first at Tennessee to do it.

Reactions: Orange.
It’d be kind of funny to me if Smith leaving pushed Scott from AU to us…I’d be just fine with that trade off…I think long, rangy safeties with corner skills have a higher upside than shorter, squatier types…they definitely have more versatility…I think of it like comparing Tank McCullough to Tammarion McDonald

It’s not like we can take 20 guys out of the portal or something. You get the ones that can make a impact but you can’t afford taking big risk with portal players due to the numbers game. And recruiting out of high school recruits and developing them is still the core to success. Yes the portal can help teams fill crucial spots and add depth. But the best way to foundational success is through recruiting and finding the portal guys to plug in. Some years you might lean on the portal heavier than others, but the more you keep your foundation stable you won’t have to stress over it and can put your efforts on the few big fish that might be in it. GBO

VN Store

Back