'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

That is literally all it will take. If he’s a stud passer and yet doesn’t know when to switch the run, coaches would be stupid to not just call audibles from the sideline when necessary in order to get HB on the field.
agree , its well documented that JG cant audible , I mean he can but nothing good never happened

Exactly this...I don't know why more people don't understand this. Pruitt wants to win and would not trot JG out there if he didn't truly believe he gave us the best chance. He tried Shrout and Maurer so it's not like he didn't recognize JG had serious consistency issues but they did as well and didn't know the offense and checks as well as JG. Let's hope HB takes the reigns from day one and leaves no doubt who is the best QB on the team.

Fair point...my counter point to that would be that it would be better if it as was HB because we have him for 3 years at a minimum and gives us consistency at the QB spot for a while.

Hopefully Bailey is an elite QB and one of the unusually gifted players able to adapt quickly to the system. I will be pumped if CJP hands him the ball because HE is the best chance to win.

That's kind of ridiculous to say. I like HB a lot and I really hope he's QB1 this year, but saying he's our best chance is just dumb. Every QB on the roster (sans HB) is going into their second season ever with the same OC. Every one of them should improve. Is HB going to walk on the field and be immediately better than year 2 Maurer? Maybe, but also doubtful. He's the most physically gifted by far, but TL didnt even win the Clemson job right away and he was the best QB prospect in 10 years.

Reactions: Sleegro
That's kind of ridiculous to say. I like HB a lot and I really hope he's QB1 this year, but saying he's our best chance is just dumb. Every QB on the roster (sans HB) is going into their second season ever with the same OC. Every one of them should improve. Is HB going to walk on the field and be immediately better than year 2 Maurer? Maybe, but also doubtful. He's the most physically gifted by far, but TL didnt even win the Clemson job right away and he was the best QB prospect in 10 years.

I know. It took Trevor Lawrence 4 whole games to win the starting job from a career mid-sixties percentage passer, who also was a running threat, and who had just led Clemson to the CFP the previous year.

It's not like HB is competing against a Kelly Bryant type QB for the starting job here.

Fortune tellers.

Double whammy too.
1. That JG will not have the sr jump.
2. That someone who's never taken a college snap, will transition to #1, seamlessly.

I'm on record for putting our entire return on Bailey being "the one". But I also know to wait on those cracked shells before dem chickens are on the inventory.

I believe the loyalty comes from no confidence in the other QBS, he will play the QB who gives him the best chance to win.

I'd love for them to roll HB out there and let him take his lumps from game 1. Strong OL and good RB's help a young QB a lot. I just seriously doubt Pruitt will do that.

Double whammy too.
1. That JG will not have the sr jump.
2. That someone who's never taken a college snap, will transition to #1, seamlessly.

I'm on record for putting our entire return on Bailey being "the one". But I also know to wait on those cracked shells before dem chickens are on the inventory.
Not enough hyperbole. Putting you on ignore.

I know. It took Trevor Lawrence 4 whole games to win the starting job from a career mid-sixties percentage passer, who also was a running threat, and who had just led Clemson to the CFP the previous year.

It's not like HB is competing against a Kelly Bryant type QB for the starting job here.
Kelly Bryant was agood QB but no where near as good as Lawrence. Bryand was not good enough to carry UM anywhere. Bryant had a lot of help from the rest of the team at Clemson; not the case at Mo.

No but we know JG is not going to raise the bar to even being an average Qb. People here are hungry for good Qb play which directly correlates to the success of UT Football next year.
oh, we do? well, that's great.
giphy.gif

while i never really dispariage anyone for their JG criticisms....couple things people need to keep in mind

1. he's a great practice player. well documented. coaches did not see the game performance coming based on what they saw in practice last year. which is why how the rest of the QB's practice will be important. if any of the three beat JG in practice, that's actually a really good thing....it's the primary reason why i think this QB compeition will be legit.
2. jg's football iq is one thing that did get better in 19 over 18. he didn't take near the amount of bad sacks that he did the year before. and while he still holds the ball too long and is continually late with the delivery, the # of sacks attributed to holding it too long were down...and part of that is because he got a lot better pre snap...note, i didn't say perfect. i said better.
3. progressions and checks are two things that kept JG as the starter and 1st option off the bench. the narrative that he doesn't do checks and doesn't do progressions is wrong....he actually does those very well. Pruitt talked about this a lot during the season....he knows how to get in and out of good/bad plays....
4. the single biggest thing that hurts JG is his ability to see the field after the snap, and throw the ball to the right spot for the WR accurately. he's late with delivery, and throws to the WR, not to where he's going to be.....call it "throw them open", anticipitory, throw with timing....however you want to define it/word it.....that's his main issue, and if not fixed, he likely won't be the starter next year....especially if any of the other three show the aptitude to do that, as well as all the mental stuff that goes with the position.
5. it's totally fair to expect him to have a jump in performance given the situation for is SR season. i think you can't help but get better when you get consistent coaching over extended periods of time. how much better? TBD.
6. i expect HB and BM will push him all off season; and vice versa (assuming BM is still here).

while i never really dispariage anyone for their JG criticisms....couple things people need to keep in mind

1. he's a great practice player. well documented. coaches did not see the game performance coming based on what they saw in practice last year. which is why how the rest of the QB's practice will be important. if any of the three beat JG in practice, that's actually a really good thing....it's the primary reason why i think this QB compeition will be legit.
2. jg's football iq is one thing that did get better in 19 over 18. he didn't take near the amount of bad sacks that he did the year before. and while he still holds the ball too long and is continually late with the delivery, the # of sacks attributed to holding it too long were down...and part of that is because he got a lot better pre snap...note, i didn't say perfect. i said better.
3. progressions and checks are two things that kept JG as the starter and 1st option off the bench. the narrative that he doesn't do checks and doesn't do progressions is wrong....he actually does those very well. Pruitt talked about this a lot during the season....he knows how to get in and out of good/bad plays....
4. the single biggest thing that hurts JG is his ability to see the field after the snap, and throw the ball to the right spot for the WR accurately. he's late with delivery, and throws to the WR, not to where he's going to be.....call it "throw them open", anticipitory, throw with timing....however you want to define it/word it.....that's his main issue, and if not fixed, he likely won't be the starter next year....especially if any of the other three show the aptitude to do that, as well as all the mental stuff that goes with the position.
5. it's totally fair to expect him to have a jump in performance given the situation for is SR season. i think you can't help but get better when you get consistent coaching over extended periods of time. how much better? TBD.
6. i expect HB and BM will push him all off season; and vice versa (assuming BM is still here).
Well said.

He should be better next year, will it be better than Bailey? That is the only question.

Why isn't anyone talking about Hill? I thought I read a few times that this past spring he did very well in practice but everyone knew he had to sit out so they weren't really paying much attention... guys, no one can deny that we've seen how important it is for a QB to have wheels...

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Why isn't anyone talking about Hill? I thought I read a few times that this past spring he did very well in practice but everyone knew he had to sit out so they weren't really paying much attention... guys, no one can deny that we've seen how important it is for a QB to have wheels...
meh

Don’t necessarily need wheels if you can feel pressure and navigate the pocket. We’ve just seen an inability to do that.

Reactions: Smokeytom
He doesn’t.

Can't tell if serious. Bryant was worse than JG this season. Clemson inflated him.

Reactions: Volgrl75
VQ made it sound like he's unlikely to be a factor.

Reactions: volinbama256

VN Store

Back