'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

You guys need to stop with the “Hurd was about to be our all-time leading rusher” stuff. It’s a false narrative. Did you watch him play? He was in no way a 5 star player. There are no great memories of his play....no great runs you can recall, no great games where Tennessee rode him to victory.

Hurd was only approaching the top of the rushing list because of all the carries he got....nearly 600 in 2.5 years, many which clearly should’ve been given to Kamara.....and a below average 4.5 yards per carry for a college running back, despite playing next to an elite running quarterback in the same backfield for most of his career.

He’s 6th or so on the all-time rushing leaders list for Tennessee and I personally wouldn’t list him among our top 10-12 all-time best running backs, and that’s being generous.....imho, he was only the 4th best runner on his own team in 2016 behind Kamara, Kelly and Dobbs.

Yes he was 6th, after two years, he was less than 1000 yards away at the beginning of his junior year, he had a lot of deserved hype, that's why everybody was so thrown off by his play and quoting on the team. Quit with this revisionist **** just because you are mad at him for quiting and leaving.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The numbers to remember with Hurd are 589 carries and a below average 4.5 yards per carry.

But anyone could tell you that hurd was gonna get the ball on first and second down off tackle. Most of the time to the short side of the field. Not to complex for the opponent to understand what your doing

Sorry for not not knowing how to post a link but seen an article on rivals.com giving predictions from other recruits and seen Harrison Bailey give 3-4 shout outs to a couple recruits him thinking they will commit to Tn. Found it interesting. Maybe we’re sorta a early fav for him?

You guys need to stop with the “Hurd was about to be our all-time leading rusher” stuff. It’s a false narrative. Did you watch him play? He was in no way a 5 star player. There are no great memories of his play....no great runs you can recall, no great games where Tennessee rode him to victory.

Hurd was only approaching the top of the rushing list because of all the carries he got....nearly 600 in 2.5 years, many which clearly should’ve been given to Kamara.....and a below average 4.5 yards per carry for a college running back, despite playing next to an elite running quarterback in the same backfield for most of his career.

He’s 6th or so on the all-time rushing leaders list for Tennessee and I personally wouldn’t list him among our top 10-12 all-time best running backs, and that’s being generous.....imho, he was only the 4th best runner on his own team in 2016 behind Kamara, Kelly and Dobbs.

I recall him absolutely trucking a Georgia defender on a run :dunno:

Edit: Glitch almost word for word

Sorry for not not knowing how to post a link but seen an article on rivals.com giving predictions from other recruits and seen Harrison Bailey give 3-4 shout outs to a couple recruits him thinking they will commit to Tn. Found it interesting. Maybe we’re sorta a early fav for him?

Yes I believe we’re in his top group early on.

Posted this in the Keyton thread, but it probably bears repeating here:

Shared [the rivals article] with a guy who's pretty close to UT recruiting, has known most of these kids since they were in middle school, and he said the implications of Bailey's picks shouldn't be minimized. UT was apparently most of their dream schools, but that was lost during the Jones years. He thinks its picking back up some steam.

I know it should all be taken with a grain of salt, but it was exciting to hear that. He's feeling pretty good about a couple of the guys mentioned, but he wouldn't specify.

Reactions: 2 people
“They don’t really talk to me much anymore,” Bailey said of the Bulldogs’ recent recruiting efforts—but then followed up with why that was probably the case. “I think they’re trying to wrap up their 2019 quarterbacks. But, yeah, I don’t hear much from them.”

At the Rivals camp in Atlanta, Bailey continued to exhibit why he’s one of the nation’s top quarterback prospects for the 2020 class. In nearly earning MVP honors at his position (Brock Vandagriff of Prince Avenue Christian was ultimately named the Quarterback MVP), he displayed exceptional touch on his deep passes along with precision, pinpoint throws on short-to-medium routes. What’s more, Bailey appeared to display leadership-type qualities, although he hadn’t met many of the players prior to the camp and despite being one of the younger participants.

Even though the Bulldogs have seemingly backed off on his recruitment, Bailey has kept his eye on the program, especially its quarterback unit.

“They’re loaded at quarterback,” Bailey said of Georgia. “[Justin] Fields and [Jake] Fromm battling it out will be good to see. The competition at that group should be really interesting to watch.”

Meanwhile, according to Bailey, schools currently recruiting him hard are Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee, and Michigan. Still, the quarterback wants to take his time visiting schools while weighing his options, and has no clear-cut leader as of now.

Rivals

Reactions: 5 people
He likes us and sees the potential for playing time here better than UGA. I think he genuinely likes CJP and is getting to know the other staff members. He'll do what's best for him, but it can't hurt if he knows Keyton and Gilbert are high on us. But, where would you go if you wanted to play early and establish your brand?

Vols with Guarantano, McBride, Shroud or UGa with Fields, Fromm, Ramsey

From MaxPreps:

QB — Harrison Bailey, Marietta (Ga.)
If it wasn't for an injury that cost him part of his season, he would have been a first-team selection. The second-rated pro style quarterback from the Class of 2020 threw for nearly 2,000 yards and 20 touchdowns in only six games playing in Georgia's largest classification.

This guy is going to be a Vol isn't he?

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
"Coach (Jeremy) Pruitt has it going on.” – Bailey (Predicting Wanya Morris going to UT)

Rivals

The Rivals link is what some of y'all were talking about. Didn't see the link posted in this thread so there it is.

Yes he was 6th, after two years, he was less than 1000 yards away at the beginning of his junior year, he had a lot of deserved hype, that's why everybody was so thrown off by his play and quoting on the team. Quit with this revisionist **** just because you are mad at him for quiting and leaving.

Not mad in the least. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, he left for his own reasons, couldn’t care less, didn’t get pissed like so many did on here....I actually thought it made us a better team since we’d have a better running back, Kamara (and Kelly too) playing alongside Dobbs.

And it ain’t “revisionist history” to accurately call Hurd what he was.....a big, strong, pretty talented kid who ran very hard and got some tough yards at Tennessee but wasn’t nearly dynamic with nearly the speed he was said to have....he wasn’t anywhere near a legit 5star recruit who had game-breaking ability, say in the Eric Dickerson mold. He left here averaging 4.5 yards per carry without ever scratching even one 50 yard run in nearly 600 carries. And give me one legit example where he put the team on his back, ran for 150-200 yards and 2-3 touchdowns in a big win. Can you think of even one? Didn’t think so. The only guy on the last several teams who did that was Josh Dobbs, Hurd never did. But hey, “he was almost our all-time leading rusher”.....while we’ve had what, easily 12-15 better running backs come through Neyland over the years?

If you think my opinion about Hurd is ANYTHING more than just recognizing that he wasn’t nearly the back he was thought to be, BASED SOLELY ON HIS PERFORMANCE HERE, you’re way off base.

Last edited:
Ah. I remember Kenny. Tennessee was playing Alabama in Alabama and Tennessee was leading late in the 4th qt. It is 3 rd down with less than 30 seconds to play and Alabama calls a running play which is stopped close to the pool line. Alabama has no timeouts left and rushes up to the line and snaps the ball and Kenny spikes the ball to stop the clock. The fans, officials, and the teams are stunned. The clock is stopped with only a few seconds left on the clock and Tennessee takes over the football on downs and win the game. Lets hear it for Kenny Stabler!

Um, hate to rain on your parade, but the game ended in a 7-7 tie.

1965 Alabama Crimson Tide football team - Wikipedia

VN Store

Back