'20 GA QB Harrison Bailey (UT SIGNEE)

Uhh he was QB Coach? He was the one in the film room with JG (hopefully) trying to teach him those things.

You can blame JG if you want, but I’m going to blame the 40 year old football coach getting paid 1mil+ for not finding a way to get through to his student.

Or, ya know, it could fall back on the OL for not knowing the signals JG was calling out / or not being good enough to pick up the blitz.

Like Pruitt said multiple times, it was probably a little bit of everybody’s fault.
When a Safety that’s lined up 15 yards off the ball walks up to the line showing blitz, that’s on the QB to see.

Not the coaches fault.
Not the o-lines fault.
Not the cheerleaders fault.
Not the hotdog vendors fault.

It’s the QBs fault.

If he hadn't been a senior I bet he would have started, I do believe that.
No way he would have started. He was garbage in practice. Threw tons of interceptions and was not accurate in the slightest. It has been said Pruitt was not happy at all with his performances and that there really was no qb competition. It was always JG.

I truly believe JG will surprise a lot of people and will be one of the top 15 QB's in the nation. Could be wrong but really doubt it. He may even enter the draft after this year.

When a Safety that’s lined up 15 yards off the ball walks up to the line showing blitz, that’s on the QB to see.

Not the coaches fault.
Not the o-lines fault.

It’s the QBs fault.
Bull crap. That hot dog vendor makes a man hungry bro. How’s he supposed to think and process when he’s hungry?

Reactions: 85SugarVol

Not the coaches fault.
Not the o-lines fault.

It’s the QBs fault.
Okay. Totally disregard all the other points I made.

Are you field level hearing if JG was calling out the blitzes? Do you know what the call would even mean if you heard it? How many times might he have made the right read and it not have been picked up bc the OL was awful? Not to mention this was what his 3rd OC in 3 years?

I'm not saying JG is deserving of a lot of praise (although you seemed determined to put me in that corner). He needs to improve a lot if we are to play to our potential next year. But JG's errors - as with any college player's errors - are still partly a byproduct of coaching. If you don't get that then were done here.

Reactions: JazzMaster001

Not the coaches fault.
Not the o-lines fault.

It’s the QBs fault.
Yes it is on the QB to see an overload blitz. That blitz happened about twice all year. Wanna talk about the other 150 or so dropbacks and the missed assignments by the OL?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Yes it is on the QB to see an overload blitz. That blitz happened about twice all year. Wanna talk about the other 150 or so dropbacks and the missed assignments by the OL?
OL can't block correctly if they don't know a blitz is coming

What about 0 tech NT that comes through unblocked, a RT that false starts every 3rd down and routinely gets beat by his guy, and a LG that might as well be a TE? Or what about the fact that we were 1 dimensional because our running game was nonexistent? That all factors in.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
What about 0 tech NT that comes through unblocked, a RT that false starts every 3rd down and routinely gets beat by his guy, and a LG that might as well be a TE? Or what about the fact that we were 1 dimensional because our running game was nonexistent? That all factors in.
Everything factors in and everything needs to improve A LOT. Stop making excuses for the qb he was just as bad as the OL and the rbs...they all need to do a 180...hopefully Chaney can get the ship turned around. If everyone can admit that we can move on to the phenom...i wonder if he will be on qb1 beyond the lights next season? Anyone know if he will have cameras on him this off season?

Reactions: 85SugarVol
This thread

tenor.gif

We need stability so bad on the OC job. We have had what, 5 OCs in 5 years? Highly doubt Chaney leaves anytime soon though.

Nah JG got the nod over KC because KC had a noodle arm and threw mostly easy-to-intercept floaters and JG at least was good at avoiding INTs. KC being Helton’s choice of GT QB is part of the reason he’s gone IMO.

Don't believe Chryst was part of why Helton is gone. CJP didn't trust Helton, especially with the rumors of Pruitt calling offensive plays. CJP is a defensive guy and he needs an OC that he can completely turn the offense over to and have full trust in. He's hired the perfect OC for that and can put his focus 100% on the defense and being the HC. Just 1st time HC mistakes that he's obviously learned from with the hires he's made.

Not the coaches fault.
Not the o-lines fault.

It’s the QBs fault.
There were times when JG got flak for “not seeing a blitz,” when he had plenty of men to pick up the blitz but somebody on the OL or a TE or RB completely blew their assignment and let a guy through untouched, though.

JG has to get better at pre-snap reads, for sure. But it’s pretty lazy to point to every time he got rocked by a blister as him not seeing a blitz.

Reactions: k-town_king
We need stability so bad on the OC job. We have had what, 5 OCs in 5 years? Highly doubt Chaney leaves anytime soon though.

4 in 4 years, 5 in 6 years. Insane

2014 - Coach Jake
2015 - Debord
2016 - Debord
2017 - Scott (whatshername is also an acceptable answer here)
2018 - Helton
2019 - Chaney

Agree with you on Chaney, re: stability. Didn't think it was an A+ hire, but stability put him above most options. He has said he has no HC aspirations, so I could see him locking it down for 3-5 years, depending.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the play and blocking scheme. Our OL had trouble not whiffing on the lined up straight across from them and missed assignments all year. Can’t lay all their struggles at the QBs feet.

Not necessarily true. Depends on the play and blocking scheme. Our OL had trouble not whiffing on the lined up straight across from them and missed assignments all year. Can’t lay all their struggles at the QBs feet.

Cue up the first play of the year clip...

4 in 4 years, 5 in 6 years. Insane

2014 - Coach Jake
2015 - Debord
2016 - Debord
2017 - Scott (whatshername is also an acceptable answer here)
2018 - Helton
2019 - Chaney

Agree with you on Chaney, re: stability. Didn't think it was an A+ hire, but stability put him above most options. He has said he has no HC aspirations, so I could see him locking it down for 3-5 years, depending.

I think Chaney was an A+ hire for the situation at hand. He fits what CJP wants to do and has done it at a high level.

Nobody is doing that. The point is they were all equally as bad.

Reactions: Rishvol
Agreed! Not sure exactly why he was moved, especially with our lack of RB depth. Especially a RB with Banks size. I hope he turns into that big TV we need. For some reason we can't seem to recruit one with any con. Not sure if it's because Weinke is coaching RB's or not. Although I expect Johnson to move to TN Coach with Tee Coaching WR's. Weinke has Coached QB's and last year RB's and that's it. He didn't even pull his weight as a recruiter, so I'm not sure why he's even still on staff or where CJP could even move him to. Supposedly CJP loves and trusts Weinke so I don't know. Just seems like an opportunity to continue upgrading the football staff.
Our TVs will have some surprise packages this season.

I think Chaney was an A+ hire for the situation at hand. He fits what CJP wants to do and has done it at a high level.

I respect that and can see why some agree with you. He's good at what he does. I hope he kills it and makes me eat tons of crow.

VN Store

Back