Ga$ Prices

Gas prices? Wow who would’ve thought $5 + here in East Tennessee,
while working on and off in California for decades, high gas prices were the norm. (And yea, some folks get what they deserve but there are normal Americans in that state)
but what I observed as an outsider, all things considered life went on like high gas prices were the normal in the rest of the states. Those people just went on, paid the price and heavy traffic, gas use just like nothing. And I’m thinking I’m glad I live in Tennessee, never understood but now , folks will live with it here too.
I never like clowns even when they supposed to be funny, let alone running our country!

I'll make a couple assumptions here just for discussions sake.

If I drive an average of 8,000 miles a year and gas (heaven forbid) averages $5/gallon over five years with my Nissan Murano getting 20 miles per gallon, that's a cost of $9,025 per year for a total of $45,125 over 5 years. Electric home charging costs me $0.48 per mile (estimate from my local utility provider). Or about $3,840 a year for electricity. Net works out to about $5k per year less than gas at $5 a gallon.

Ummm your math skillz need work kid. 8000 miles / 20 mpg = 400 gallons per year. 400 gallons x $5 = $2000. So your payback is (I'll let you try and cipher that out fer yerself).

edit: doc rosen & ras already beat me to the obvious stupidity

My 20 year old tdi with 380K gets 50 mpg on diesel at $5.28/gal, or $0.1056 per mile. My math sez its a keeper, although I think the $0.48/mile for electricity is not right either. Google sez closer to $0.05 per mile for EV electricity. Even so my mileage is down to 3k per year so at an annual EV savings of a whopping fuel savings of $150/year, payback on a $60k car is only 400 years lol.

Last edited:
Gone down about 60¢ in my area over the past few weeks.

Funny how people stop talking about it when that happens even though it’s still high.

Gone down about 60¢ in my area over the past few weeks.

Funny how people stop talking about it when that happens even though it’s still high.
You're conditioned to think you are getting a bargain at this point. Gas here in my area can fluctuate up to $0.70/gal within a 5 mile radius. If that doesn't prove they have us over a barrel I dont know what does.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLSONLY
You're conditioned to think you are getting a bargain at this point. Gas here in my area can fluctuate up to $0.70/gal within a 5 mile radius. If that doesn't prove they have us over a barrel I dont know what does.

I noticed that in GA earlier this month. It would be $3.85 and less than a mile down the road $4.29.

There is about 10¢ difference between my town and the smaller neighboring town 5 miles down the highway.

I don’t think it’s ever going below $3 again. Oil companies have realized people can pay it. No need to ramp up production and hurt profits.

Reactions: Go aeiou and jp1
4.75 at one station I stopped at after I forgot to stop near my house. This place was 2 weeks behind getting to htat price as they were still 4.01 yesterday. My town varies from about 3.69 to over $4 still. A far cry from 2.25 or less.

I paid $3.249 (87 octane) yesterday at an Exxon station in Newport, Tennessee off of Exit 435. I made this photo as proof because a friend in Santa Monica, CA did not believe I paid $3.249.....he said gas there is around $5.75.
WP_20220801_19_32_25_Rich.jpg

VN Store

Back