Ga$ Prices

Deal with it plebs.

FUtKj0iWQAEOUDe.jpg
Hope her state votes her out next election just for making such a stupid statement. Folks that are struggling with the higher fuel prices are also struggling with the higher food and everything else prices. Does this stupid lady think everyone in this country can afford a new car? I’ll bet that most of the folks feeling the worst pain from inflation can’t afford a new electric car. There’s folks deciding between gas, food, medicine, rent - which one am I not going to get yet their flippant politician says go buy an electric car. What an idiot

So if I'm understanding correctly, we are to believe that she drove from Michigan to Washington DC in her electric vehicle... how many times did she have to charge it? How long does it take to charge?

Assuming she's driving a new Tesla Y model she probably stopped once or twice for a 15 minute charge at a Tesla Supercharging station. 15 minute charge gets you 200 miles, the Model Y range is listed at 330 miles. Detroit to DC is 520 miles. The Mercedes EQS has a range of 350 miles on a charge.

And I paid $5.29 for regular this morning.... Not fun laying out $85 to fill my Nissan Murano that had a 1/4 tank. Can't wait for my Tesla Model Y to arrive. Should be an August delivery.

Assuming she's driving a new Tesla Y model she probably stopped once or twice for a 15 minute charge at a Tesla Supercharging station. 15 minute charge gets you 200 miles, the Model Y range is listed at 330 miles. Detroit to DC is 520 miles. The Mercedes EQS has a range of 350 miles on a charge.

And I paid $5.29 for regular this morning.... Not fun laying out $85 to fill my Nissan Murano that had a 1/4 tank. Can't wait for my Tesla Model Y to arrive. Should be an August delivery.

That cost you 70k?

I am asking about his situation.

He appears excited to no longer be buying gasoline once he gets this vehicle.

Spending 70k to avoid 4k a year in fuel is not a winning proposition.

If you factor in selling the Murano for $30K, doesn't seem quite as bad...

Not sure the economics work but it's his $$$$.

If everything was about economics, a lot more people would all be driving compact Kia vehicles...

If you factor in selling the Murano for $30K, doesn't seem quite as bad...

Not sure the economics work but it's his $$$$

no doubt. Just curious to what it was.

Many people act like they are saving bank and aren’t.

I can buy a 40k car, which would be a nice car, and it would probably be greater than 5 years before I would have spent the equivalent to what was paid for Tesla. It isn’t some windfall savings on fuel that many believe.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Hope her state votes her out next election just for making such a stupid statement. Folks that are struggling with the higher fuel prices are also struggling with the higher food and everything else prices. Does this stupid lady think everyone in this country can afford a new car? I’ll bet that most of the folks feeling the worst pain from inflation can’t afford a new electric car. There’s folks deciding between gas, food, medicine, rent - which one am I not going to get yet their flippant politician says go buy an electric car. What an idiot

She has the backing of the a massive democratic political machine in Michigan. She can do whatever she wants.

no doubt. Just curious to what it was.

Many people act like they are saving bank and aren’t.

I can buy a 40k car, which would be a nice car, and it would probably be greater than 5 years before I would have spent the equivalent to what was paid for Tesla. It isn’t some windfall savings on fuel that many believe.

I'll make a couple assumptions here just for discussions sake.

If I drive an average of 8,000 miles a year and gas (heaven forbid) averages $5/gallon over five years with my Nissan Murano getting 20 miles per gallon, that's a cost of $9,025 per year for a total of $45,125 over 5 years. Electric home charging costs me $0.48 per mile (estimate from my local utility provider). Or about $3,840 a year for electricity. Net works out to about $5k per year less than gas at $5 a gallon.

The govt is still giving 5k rebates?

Yes, and more if you buy an EV from a company that has sold less than 200,000 EVs. States also give rebates. Local utilities give rebates for install home chargers. My utility covered the full cost of the charging unit, all I had to pay was for the installer.

Reactions: mrorange211

If I drive an average of 8,000 miles a year and gas (heaven forbid) averages $5/gallon over five years with my Nissan Murano getting 20 miles per gallon, that's a cost of $9,025 per year for a total of $45,125 over 5 years. Electric home charging costs me $0.48 per mile (estimate from my local utility provider). Or about $3,840 a year for electricity. Net works out to about $5k per year less than gas at $5 a gallon.

Yes, electricity is currently cheaper than gas for this option.

But if a person, not necessarily saying you, has no car payment or a car payment of $300 a month then trades up for a Tesla and takes on a $600, $800, etc monthly car payment. Then it is not a good move.

I would think a 35k car is about as good as a Tesla in terms of features, not talking fuel here. So probably looking at 5 years for all those costs to even out. I don’t know anything about a Tesla, my assumption that it is equivalent to a 35k gas car could be incorrect….

Not to be "that guy", but check your math. Based on that example, the gas car is a lot cheaper to operate. Regards.

Yes, electricity is currently cheaper than gas for this option.

But if a person, not necessarily saying you, has no car payment or a car payment of $300 a month then trades up for a Tesla and takes on a $600, $800, etc monthly car payment. Then it is not a good move.

I would think a 35k car is about as good as a Tesla in terms of features, not talking fuel here. So probably looking at 5 years for all those costs to even out. I don’t know anything about a Tesla, my assumption that it is equivalent to a 35k gas car could be incorrect….

The Tesla Model 3 sells for around $35k, it has a shorter range, around 220 miles vs. 330 for the model Y. With a rebate that's a $30k car. The Model Y has great storage space (that's part of the justification for getting rid of the Murano), auto steering features, auto lane changing, auto parking, with all the electronics you could ever want on a vehicle. I'm not here to sell Tesla's by any means, I wanted the Mercedes EV that's coming out this fall. As many on here know from personal experience, being married doesn't always mean you have 50% voting rights on family purchase. My wife wanted this car and she usually gets what she wants. LOL

Reactions: allvol123
The Tesla Model 3 sells for around $35k, it has a shorter range, around 220 miles vs. 330 for the model Y. With a rebate that's a $30k car. The Model Y has great storage space (that's part of the justification for getting rid of the Murano), auto steering features, auto lane changing, auto parking, with all the electronics you could ever want on a vehicle. I'm not here to sell Tesla's by any means, I wanted the Mercedes EV that's coming out this fall. As many on here know from personal experience, being married doesn't always mean you have 50% voting rights on family purchase. My wife wanted this car and she usually gets what she wants. LOL

thanks. Looking for an additional car as I have a child coming of driving age.

Not a “green person” but I’d pull the trigger if I could make the numbers make sense for me. Didn’t know they had cars in the 30s.

Not to be "that guy", but check your math. Based on that example, the gas car is a lot cheaper to operate. Regards.

I'm not sure what I did wrong yet, my numbers of the saving are definitely wrong. Thanks

Last edited:

VN Store

Back